Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Rainbow Bridge
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2017, 08:31 AM

922 posts, read 791,884 times

Advertisements

Yesterday our 10 year old cat Maynard died hereat home. He never showed any sign of being sick other than losing some weight (and he was fat to begin with.) We showed him lots of love and made him as comfortable as possible, and he passed peacefully.

Maynard was the most affectionate cat I have ever known, and quite the clown. He liked everybody and was laid back and sweet. I will miss his head butts and kisses, and cuddling with him as we slept.

I have loved and lost many beloved pets in my 61 years on this earth, but this one is the hardest. I cried so much yesterday that I am sick and can barely close my eyes because they are so swollen. He has been buried in the backyard, and today we will fix up a nice memorial for him. He deserved it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2017, 01:21 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,371,172 times
I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. I've been there myself, and I know what you're feeling. Nothing helps very much but the passage of time, and I hope your grief is not prolonged. Just remember that he had a long, happy life with you, and he knew he was much-loved.

Peace to you at this sad time.

Run free at the Bridge, sweet Maynard.

Old 06-11-2017, 07:40 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,897,496 times
I'm sorry to hear about Maynard.

Those of us who love our pets seem to have that one who just stood out and it sounds like Maynard was yours.

He sounds like he was a wonderful companion and was well loved by you.

My sympathies are with you.

Old 06-11-2017, 08:16 PM

3,671 posts, read 3,557,269 times
I also hope that time will heal your heart. The loss of a good friend, especially as we get older, seems to become harder to deal with.
I will keep you in my prayers tonight. Know that Maynard and you will one day meet again.

Old 06-11-2017, 08:50 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,829,411 times
So very sorry for your loss. I believe he is now running the great catnip fields of the sky, happy and healthy, with lots of new friends. My Chipper and Katrina were there to greet him. ((Hugs))

Old 06-12-2017, 08:19 AM

246 posts, read 279,026 times
I am so sorry for your loss. you provided him many years of love and affection. Please consider adopting another cat from a shelter when you are ready

Old 06-13-2017, 02:53 PM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times
I am so sorry - I have been in your shoes many times. Time will pass and ease the pain and grief you are feeling now. Look at old pictures of him and remember that he lives on in your heart. I never believe they are truly gone, they are just in a place where we can't physically see them now, but one day we will see them again. God bless.

Old 06-17-2017, 11:37 AM

922 posts, read 791,884 times
Thank you all for your kind words. They really do help.

It has been a week since we laid Maynard to rest. We made him a nice memorial in the back yard. Sometimes the realization that he is no longer here hits me in the pit of my stomach and I lose it again. My husband, although he loved him and misses him too, just doesn't understand the depth of my grief.

Our other kitty, Marvin, is not handling it well. He was with Maynard his whole life and he cries with a mournfulness that breaks my heart. I know it will get better with time. He was such an integral part of our household and it's hard to get used to not having him around.

We will not be getting another kitty. I truly wish we could, but Marvin would never accept it, and we have a 50 lb puppy that thinks kitties are toys. He grew up with Maynard and Marvin since he was a tiny baby, but he would never adapt to a new one. We are giving Marvin lots of love and attention, which helps us as well as him.

Sorry for the long post, it just helps to let it out with folks who understand what I am going through. Thanks for being here.

Old 06-17-2017, 11:48 AM

88,580 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoundedSpirit View Post
Yesterday our 10 year old cat Maynard died hereat home. He never showed any sign of being sick other than losing some weight (and he was fat to begin with.) We showed him lots of love and made him as comfortable as possible, and he passed peacefully.

Maynard was the most affectionate cat I have ever known, and quite the clown. He liked everybody and was laid back and sweet. I will miss his head butts and kisses, and cuddling with him as we slept.

I have loved and lost many beloved pets in my 61 years on this earth, but this one is the hardest. I cried so much yesterday that I am sick and can barely close my eyes because they are so swollen. He has been buried in the backyard, and today we will fix up a nice memorial for him. He deserved it.
I am sorry, WoundedSpirit. Just let yourself feel what you are feeling. I lost my favorite one in October, the one who met me at the door when I came home and slept next to my head. I still cannot believe how much I grieved for that cat, and I had lost others. I cried every single day for a month, and I still get twinges.

Damn, how attached we get, how much love we get from those little creatures. I am glad Maynard had someone who loved him so much while he was here, and I hope your hurt eases with the passage of time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Rainbow Bridge