Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Rainbow Bridge
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2018, 08:47 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,505,733 times

Advertisements

OP, you did the kind thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2018, 10:51 PM

5,712 posts, read 4,289,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
That was my opinion of the situation as well as all of the other people who knew him and the dog. Every time anyone tried to approach the subject he would get upset.
That's because it's none of your business, so he had good reason to get upset. Suggesting that someone should put their dog down is forbidden on this forum, and it should be in real life too. That's because its an incredibly insensitive thing to even "approach". If its not your dog, its not your business, unless you are asked. No matter how much you and "everyone" think you know better than the owner.

As someone who is not the dog owner, your only role is to support the person in their difficult time. The dog is none of your business unless it is being abused. Choosing to care for an old or sick dog rather than euthanize them is not abuse. Its every owners unique and always very difficult decision.

Quote:
You didn't know the situation so you are being judgmental about me, which makes you a hypocrite.
That's nonsensical.

Old 04-18-2018, 07:40 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,760,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
That's because it's none of your business, so he had good reason to get upset. Suggesting that someone should put their dog down is forbidden on this forum, and it should be in real life too. That's because its an incredibly insensitive thing to even "approach". If its not your dog, its not your business, unless you are asked. No matter how much you and "everyone" think you know better than the owner.

As someone who is not the dog owner, your only role is to support the person in their difficult time. The dog is none of your business unless it is being abused. Choosing to care for an old or sick dog rather than euthanize them is not abuse. Its every owners unique and always very difficult decision.

That's nonsensical.
You are very judgmental.

Old 04-19-2018, 09:35 AM

2 posts, read 4,953 times
Thank you all for your kind responses. I spoke to both my family vet and the emergency vet who treated him. My family vet said she would have advised us to let him go as well, had we gone to see her. She said his little body was just so frail, and him collapsing was his sign to us that he couldn't keep on fighting anymore. I still feel in my heart that we should have tried harder, asked more questions, maybe brought him for a second opinion. I think what kills me is that up until his collapse, he was acting "normal" (his normal was sleeping all day), and at the vets when he was in the oxygen cage he was barking because he gets anxious at the vets. It kills me thinking maybe he wasn't as far gone as the emergency vet led us to believe. We made the decision with his best interest in mind, with the information we were given, but I still feel like I failed him. I hope this feeling passes soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Rainbow Bridge