Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Rainbow Bridge
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2019, 11:47 AM

981 posts, read 892,980 times

Advertisements

I have lost so many of my rescues, but this is just tearing my up because I am afraid I caused the death of my several day old abandoned kitten. I was at the pet store last Saturday and these young girls brought in what looked like a 2-3 day old kitten. I have fostered older kittens before, but never one this little. But I just had to try to save him, but I am afraid I caused him to aspirate due to overfeeding (((. He wasn’t eating and I was just desperate to get something in him, that I think I overfed him. I kept him next to me in a cat carrier with a towel on a heating pad while I worked. One hour he was there and the next he was gone. I am just heartbroken and so so ANGRY with myself that I screwed this up. I know he was only with me for a few days, but I just miss the little man SO MUCH. I don’t know why but I am just completely heartbroken over this - probably because I am SO ANGRY at myself for screwing this up. All this poor baby had was me, and I failed him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2019, 03:02 PM

26,535 posts, read 36,413,377 times
I have raised kittens by hand that were as young as one day old and they haven't all made it. Sometimes, there's a defect in the kitten that can't be helped, so I hope you don't beat up on yourself too much over this. At least the kitten died warm, fed, and comfortable.

Old 04-06-2019, 07:03 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,646,151 times
He knew love and comfort!

Old 04-06-2019, 08:29 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,734,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klaucka View Post
I have lost so many of my rescues, but this is just tearing my up because I am afraid I caused the death of my several day old abandoned kitten. I was at the pet store last Saturday and these young girls brought in what looked like a 2-3 day old kitten. I have fostered older kittens before, but never one this little. But I just had to try to save him, but I am afraid I caused him to aspirate due to overfeeding (((. He wasn’t eating and I was just desperate to get something in him, that I think I overfed him. I kept him next to me in a cat carrier with a towel on a heating pad while I worked. One hour he was there and the next he was gone. I am just heartbroken and so so ANGRY with myself that I screwed this up. I know he was only with me for a few days, but I just miss the little man SO MUCH. I don’t know why but I am just completely heartbroken over this - probably because I am SO ANGRY at myself for screwing this up. All this poor baby had was me, and I failed him.

No anger towards yourself....

you did a good thing. No telling what really happened to the kitten.

He died with a friend caring for him.

So sorry....

Old 04-06-2019, 09:01 PM

Thank you everyone for the kind words. The one thing I know for sure is that I did care for him (so much) - to the best of my ability. Still so sad, but trying to channel the sadness into helping (and spay / neutering!) as many of the cats that I can, there are so many here in South FL....

Old 04-06-2019, 09:16 PM

6,405 posts, read 3,889,702 times
What everyone else has said. You can never know what happened. So, do not beat yourself up over it. And, it is now in the past, so don't beat yourself up over it. I know this is hard to do, but it will help your sanity. There is not a thing you can change by worrying about it or feeling guilty about it.

Sometimes animals die. Perhaps there was nothing that could have been done for him. But you took him in and cared for him, and he was loved.

Old 04-07-2019, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k12144 View Post
what everyone else has said. You can never know what happened. So, do not beat yourself up over it. And, it is now in the past, so don't beat yourself up over it. I know this is hard to do, but it will help your sanity. There is not a thing you can change by worrying about it or feeling guilty about it.

Sometimes animals die. Perhaps there was nothing that could have been done for him. But you took him in and cared for him, and he was loved.
thank you.

Old 04-07-2019, 05:26 PM

i feel even worse now. the young girls that found him, and brought him to the pet store, are asking about him . they thought he was in good hands with me, i just don’t know what to say. there is only the truth, but saying it starts the blaming and sadness all over again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Rainbow Bridge