Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Rainbow Bridge
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2019, 10:11 AM

6,149 posts, read 4,514,052 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
Yesterday I went to the SPCA and the animal shelter. I just wanted to be around dogs.

I am wondering if I will be blessed with another heart dog - I NEED one - my baby was everything to me. Everything.

Part of the mourning is the regret that I didm't know his last day was his last day (and I know, no one does, but I am stuck on this).

The night before he passed, he was staring at me from his little bed and I picked him up and took him to my chair. He gave me the sweetest hugs (nuzzling into my neck), and kisses. I told him I love him - in the morning, he was in distress and it was all just a jumble, rushing around holding him in one hand and brushing my teeth with the other and getting him to the emergency vet.

I held him in my arms like a little baby (he never allowed that for long when he was well) - and just told him he was a good boy and that I loved him, over and over until the procedure was over (which was a little long and stressful). That morning was a blur. I awoke at 7 a.m., and was handed him in a box just before 9 a.m., and he was buried just before 11 a.m., and then I was completely alone.

I have been asking him to visit me in a dream, but so far, he has not appeared.

I feel so lonely and heartbroken.
Don't rush finding another heart dog. I understand how empty your home can be and how sad you are. I think it's great that you went to be around dogs and you'll find the right one when you do. Sometimes you come home and it's the one you can't stop thinking about. It's a big adjustment to go from the love of your life to just a dog. But those animals need someone to love and care for them and even if you don't feel love at the beginning, you will give them care and have feelings for them - and you never know where that relationship will end up. It could be wonderful.

However you work out your new relationship with dogs, Mr. Forest will be waiting for you. And he'll be part of you as long as you live. Thank you for sharing him with us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2019, 10:20 AM

88,571 posts, read 84,777,093 times
I am so sorry to hear this. It is so painful when we have to let them go.

I know what you mean about feeling he loved you more than any other human. I had four cats, and now only one is left. One of those cats, who died in 2016, was like that. I felt more loved by her than any other creature in my life. I cried over her at some point every single day for a month.

Rest in peace, Forest. You were a good dog.

Old 08-27-2019, 10:32 AM

2,234 posts, read 2,404,546 times
I'm so sorry for your loss... I share your pain. My 11-year-old Boston Terrier also had congestive heart failure for two years and passed away in early July. It still feels weird that he is gone. He was a fighter for so long, but the disease progressed too much.. They also find a tumor in his heart back in May, which is what I think ultimately got him.

It's especially hard the first week... but it does better. You just have to think about all the great times you had with him and the memories you made... And you have to keep believing that you'll see him again when it's your time to go... I hope every day that I will see mine again..

Old 08-27-2019, 10:35 AM

8,620 posts, read 5,651,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post
Don't rush finding another heart dog. I understand how empty your home can be and how sad you are. I think it's great that you went to be around dogs and you'll find the right one when you do. Sometimes you come home and it's the one you can't stop thinking about. It's a big adjustment to go from the love of your life to just a dog. But those animals need someone to love and care for them and even if you don't feel love at the beginning, you will give them care and have feelings for them - and you never know where that relationship will end up. It could be wonderful.

However you work out your new relationship with dogs, Mr. Forest will be waiting for you. And he'll be part of you as long as you live. Thank you for sharing him with us.
Thank you.

I am just wondering about finding a "heart" dog . . . I feel I was so lucky. I got him after I lost another love (and another heart dog). I browsed the internet and he was in a city probably 75 miles from me? I was going to take a vacation in the area and called them and they said they couldn't hold him, but if he was there when I came, I could have him - and he was.

I don't remember, at all, about how I felt about him, initially - if I felt the strong bond or if it grew over time.

I wish I could remember all of my days with him.

I miss him so much.

Old 08-27-2019, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I am so sorry to hear this. It is so painful when we have to let them go.

I know what you mean about feeling he loved you more than any other human. I had four cats, and now only one is left. One of those cats, who died in 2016, was like that. I felt more loved by her than any other creature in my life. I cried over her at some point every single day for a month.

Rest in peace, Forest. You were a good dog.
Thank you! It's just heartbreaking!

We are so lucky to experience that love, though.

Old 08-27-2019, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgordeeva View Post
I'm so sorry for your loss... I share your pain. My 11-year-old Boston Terrier also had congestive heart failure for two years and passed away in early July. It still feels weird that he is gone. He was a fighter for so long, but the disease progressed too much.. They also find a tumor in his heart back in May, which is what I think ultimately got him.

It's especially hard the first week... but it does better. You just have to think about all the great times you had with him and the memories you made... And you have to keep believing that you'll see him again when it's your time to go... I hope every day that I will see mine again..
I just feel bad that I wasn't a better dog mom - more walks, more treats. more everything.

I did do a "pretty good job," but right now, I wish I could lavish him with everything good in the world.

He was so enthusiastic and just a sheer joy every single day. No bad days with him - He was not moody, but had to suffer through my moods.

Old 08-27-2019, 10:52 AM

2,234 posts, read 2,404,546 times
Quote:
I just feel bad that I wasn't a better dog mom - more walks, more treats. more everything.

I did do a "pretty good job," but right now, I wish I could lavish him with everything good in the world.

He was so enthusiastic and just a sheer joy every single day. No bad days with him - He was not moody, but had to suffer through my moods.
If I thought of all the things I should have done with my dog, I would torture myself. Don't do that. It sounds like you did the very best you could and that he had a great life. That's all you can do.. None of us are perfect.

Old 08-27-2019, 10:54 AM

48,519 posts, read 34,843,322 times
I'm so sorry for your loss.

I'm sure you were an awesome Mom, provider and friend to Forest. He had a long happy life with you.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 08-27-2019, 12:53 PM

5,094 posts, read 12,587,684 times
Quote:
Yesterday I went to the SPCA and the animal shelter. I just wanted to be around dogs.

I am wondering if I will be blessed with another heart dog - I NEED one - my baby was everything to me. Everything.

Part of the mourning is the regret that I didm't know his last day was his last day (and I know, no one does, but I am stuck on this).

The night before he passed, he was staring at me from his little bed and I picked him up and took him to my chair. He gave me the sweetest hugs (nuzzling into my neck), and kisses. I told him I love him - in the morning, he was in distress and it was all just a jumble, rushing around holding him in one hand and brushing my teeth with the other and getting him to the emergency vet.

I held him in my arms like a little baby (he never allowed that for long when he was well) - and just told him he was a good boy and that I loved him, over and over until the procedure was over (which was a little long and stressful). That morning was a blur. I awoke at 7 a.m., and was handed him in a box just before 9 a.m., and he was buried just before 11 a.m., and then I was completely alone.

I have been asking him to visit me in a dream, but so far, he has not appeared.

I feel so lonely and heartbroken.
I hope you can open your heart to another dog. Some people like me can do it before or right after a loss others take a long time. It took my sister years as she felt guilty like doing so meant she had not loved her old dog if she "replaced him" so soon. I am not replacing a dog as that is not possible but rather I am opening a new chapter to my life/My getting a new dog so fast to me means I loved my past dog so much that I can not imagine life without dogs in it and to me that is a great honor to my dog. 10 years ago when I lost Dash to nasal cancer I think he hung around as long as he did to make sure new dog Dazzle ( the one I just put down) was able to fill in his paw prints and make me and my other dog happy like he himself had. So just take it a day at a time and you will know when you meet a dog that will help fill that huge hole in your heart. Hugs to you in this difficult time and you are not alone people here can be very supportive and open to listening to you pour out your heart and doing so often helps too.

Old 08-27-2019, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashdog View Post
I hope you can open your heart to another dog. Some people like me can do it before or right after a loss others take a long time. It took my sister years as she felt guilty like doing so meant she had not loved her old dog if she "replaced him" so soon. I am not replacing a dog as that is not possible but rather I am opening a new chapter to my life/My getting a new dog so fast to me means I loved my past dog so much that I can not imagine life without dogs in it and to me that is a great honor to my dog. 10 years ago when I lost Dash to nasal cancer I think he hung around as long as he did to make sure new dog Dazzle ( the one I just put down) was able to fill in his paw prints and make me and my other dog happy like he himself had. So just take it a day at a time and you will know when you meet a dog that will help fill that huge hole in your heart. Hugs to you in this difficult time and you are not alone people here can be very supportive and open to listening to you pour out your heart and doing so often helps too.
Thank you. I have gotten a lot of support, both here, and on Facebook, and it REALLY helps. I honestly felt yesterday I could not survive this loss of love in my life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Rainbow Bridge