Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Rainbow Bridge
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2021, 05:14 PM

1,260 posts, read 2,043,391 times

Advertisements

She is 12, and has lived with severely reduced kidney function/CKD for the past 6 years. She almost died 6 years ago after probably being exposed to Asian lily. She went through a rough time then but recovered nicely, was able to go off all medications/fluids and, with the exception of being on kidney diet, led a normal life.
Over the past year it became clear her kidney function got worse, and reinstating a regular regimen of sub-q fluids was no longer helping. She needed a dental procedure but our vet refused to administer anesthesia due to the risk. With the help of some delayed release antibiotics we were able to stop dental infection, but last October, after a regular vet visit, the doctor called me and said her kidneys were barely functioning and we should be prepared for the end. At this point she was still behaving normally, was still very interested in food, but was becoming increasingly sluggish and less mobile.
Over the past month she lost a lot of weight, has a very hard time eating, although she still comes down to her bowl at her normal breakfast time. We made a heart-wrenching decision to call home euthanasia service, and we have an appointment scheduled for tomorrow.
I cried today. My teenage son resisted our decision at first - he doesn't remember a life without Pixie - we got her as a kitten when he was 5 years old. However, after seeing her struggling to eat for several days in a row, when she was a food lover all her life (she is an orange tabby, and I was told orange tabbies love to eat), convinced him as well. I was asked how much she weighed, and guessed her weight at 8 pounds. She used to be 12 pounds when in healthy weight, and even 14 when she was overweight. I later decided to weigh her, and she is barely 6! So, I think it's time and is the right decision, but this doesn't make things any easier.

I don't know why I am writing this. I just wanted to tell someone how hard it is for me. This is my first cat I had to put to sleep, and it's killing me.

On another hand, if your cat is in acute kidney failure, like our Pixie was 6 years ago, please know that sometimes, with the right treatment and some perseverance, their life can be saved and they can have a good quality of life for several years or longer. She sure did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2021, 12:35 PM

4,888 posts, read 13,824,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioToCO View Post
I don't know why I am writing this. I just wanted to tell someone how hard it is for me. This is my first cat I had to put to sleep, and it's killing me.
You needed to reach out to people who would understand, and we do. (((((hugs))))))

Old 03-31-2021, 01:00 PM

7,066 posts, read 4,510,340 times
It’s really hard to make the decision to let a beloved family member go. It’s the last gift you will give your sweet Pixie. Sending hugs

Old 03-31-2021, 01:10 PM

21,615 posts, read 31,180,666 times
I feel your excruciating pain. We just set our 10 year old Boxer free this morning, a few months after being diagnosed with Degenerative Myelopathy. Making that appointment two days ago was the most difficult decision I ever made, and considered canceling it many times. We’re emotionally and physically drained from the grief. For some reason, it’s more heartbreaking than losing a two legged non immediate family member. I’m sorry you’re dealing with this like we are, and can only offer you support knowing what you’re going through.

We opted for in-home euthanasia, which was double the price but much less stressful. She passed laying in her favorite spot on the couch, covered in her favorite fleece blanket, with her head on my lap, and paws on my wife. She was comfortable, and it was peaceful, and we would spend the money for this service again.

My heart aches for you.

Old 04-06-2021, 12:21 PM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times
I'm so sorry. It's never easy, deciding when to let go. Know that Pixie is at peace, and that she would want you to be as well.

Last week seems like it was a hard week for us pet parents. Kidyankee764, I'm sorry for your loss as well. I let my 15-year-old tuxedo cat, Cookie, go; she had a tumor in her anal gland and had reached the point where she couldn't get comfortable sitting or lying down. I miss her like crazy, and look for her every day, but I know I did the right thing for her.

Hugs all around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Rainbow Bridge