U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Rainbow Bridge
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2008, 04:00 PM

5,981 posts, read 17,268,619 times

Advertisements

My senior Rottie, Miss Girl - run free, baby...at 16 years, 3 months, 2 weeks and 6 days - she's at the Bridge now. She got off her couch to go get water and a little later the blind boy, Holt, started barking. My husband went to see what was wrong. She'd apparently had a heart attack and was gone. She was a rescue at 12 years old - we thought we would have her maybe six months. We've been honored to share four birthdays with her.

So feisty until the end - this morning she did her doggy dance for her breakfast, fussed at us because we weren't fast enough getting it put down, and gave one of the other Rotties a good grandma chewing out for getting on her couch.

God bless 'em - they bring so much joy and it hurts so badly - enjoy the Bridge, greet the others, and we'll be together again one day...
Attached Thumbnails
Godspeed Miss Girl...-queen-day.jpg  
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2008, 04:30 PM

13,768 posts, read 35,957,410 times
Oh Sam.. she was one lucky lady to have you and your husband in her life. The love they give us is worth so much and ask for so little in return.

Old 05-29-2008, 05:57 PM

Thank you, Keeper. My heart is so broken but she went quickly and in her own way. One of my other females seems very distressed tonight so we're just gathering the hounds around and holding them tight. We buried her in the back yard under a tree in an area I had planned for a garden. Now it will be a Girl butterfly garden.

Seems awfully quiet around here - and very strange to put down only 6 bowls, and count only 6 noses.

Old 05-29-2008, 08:06 PM

2,065 posts, read 4,510,868 times
Hey, Sam, I am very sorry to hear about your dear girl ...we lost one of our Maltese last year and one this year. We only have 1 left now... they were both rescued from puppy mills, and spent wonderful years with hubby and me giving us lots of love and attention. We miss them so much...our thoughts and prayers are with you now. Be sure one day all the people who love their dogs will meet them at the rainbow bridge and also Saint Francis, who always cares for them, as they were sent from heaven to make us better people in this world. Tonight we will say a prayer to your gal as we do to ours. God bless you both for having loved each other so much. Dogs give us the purest feelings, and what we can do is to give what we get from them, as you did.

Old 05-29-2008, 08:13 PM

1,401 posts, read 3,587,986 times
I am so sorry for your loss Sam...she surely looked like she was truly happy with your family...what a wonderful four years.....its never easy...never...

Old 05-29-2008, 08:21 PM

485 posts, read 1,860,253 times
Think of the joy you gave her, and how she passed in the company of those she loved.

Still, I know your pain......

Old 05-29-2008, 08:21 PM

10,751 posts, read 33,509,491 times
Sam, I'm SO very sorry. I am glad however that she found her way to you and had some good years with you and your family.

Old 05-30-2008, 09:07 AM

485 posts, read 1,860,253 times
If you've never read it, Kipling's "The Power of the Dog" sums it up pretty well.

The grief of a lost pet is cruel, but try to remember, they are a loan, not something you keep forever, except as a memory.

As much as we grieve, imagine how painful it must be for the furry ones to lose their human companion?

Better to bear the pain for them, don't you think?

When it's time, the right dog will come-I never thought I'd survive the loss of my beloved greyhounds, Zeno and Mr. Hogan, compounded by the death of my wife not six months later.

But one day, in a shopping center, there was my wonderful Maggie, tied to a bush and on her way to certain death(the local shelter kills pit bulls on sight).

She'd been found running loose, probably abandoned, and the fellows who found her were heartbroken about taking her to be killed-they were show dog handlers, and couldn't have another dog.

I said I'd take her, and see if she was OK, and if not, I'd take her to the shelter.

Obedient, intelligent, loyal and well behaved, she was a balm for a broken heart.

So many dogs need homes........

Old 05-30-2008, 09:15 AM

Each and every one of the remaining 5 Rottweilers and the 1 Not-weiler in my home was a rescue - every one of them came after we said we just couldn't take another dog! I've no doubt there are more homeless dogs in my future - but for now I'll hug the six I have extra tight and give them one more scritch than usual. It's never long enough...when I get past this hump I will post Miss Girl's rescue story, it's an eye opener for sure. For now, the warm thoughts from C-D friends are much appreciated.

Old 05-30-2008, 09:39 AM

1,188 posts, read 5,262,555 times
Our hearts and thoughts are with you and your gang! We can't express enough how highly we think of people such as you and your husband. Your hearts are so big and it shows that you guys are apart of a bigger, more wonderful plan in life.

You know as well as we do...when the time is right...your paths will cross with your next baby.

May the love of your remaining furry children and the support of your cyber friends help ease your sad hearts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Rainbow Bridge