U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Rainbow Bridge
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2008, 09:19 AM

9,320 posts, read 17,641,053 times

Advertisements

Shortly after moving to AZ from CA, we lost our older Mastiff, Dexter. We were absolutely heartbroken. Not a day goes by that I do not think about him, he was a perfect dog and friend. We did adopt two puppies, littermates and both Mastiffs. They were a handful at first, which kept me very busy. They are very dear to us and we love them both, but nothing will replace Dexter and we never intended to. You will have new friends in your life and all of them have a special place, some more than others.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2008, 09:37 AM

485 posts, read 1,864,927 times
Go read Kipling's "The Power of the Dog".

Then adopt a greyhound-it's good karma.

Old 07-04-2008, 10:11 AM

1,867 posts, read 3,860,947 times
I know so much about the guilt you are feeling about not having so much time to spend with your baby pet before she passed away. I had a baby 1 year before my Puca died (last summer) and I still feel so guilty about the last year of her life, when I was obviously very busy with my newborn. I only WISH I could have the chance to have her with me again so I can treat her as great as I did before the baby. I so regret it and just the thought of it breaks my heart. But I've also realized that I was great to her for so many years and she had a better than average dog life with me for a long time.

Time does start to heal the pain too. That you can rely on though I know how hard this is on you in the meantime. In your situation, you had to worry about your mom, ITS NOT YOUR FAULT that you couldn't spend as much time with your doggie. She had a very LONG and great life with you and it was her time. She was a very very lucky dog to have you all those years taking great care of her.

Old 07-04-2008, 11:07 AM

5,715 posts, read 14,299,391 times
Most importantly... she knew you loved her and she loved you!

I'm sure she never doubted that... and to a dog, that's all that matters!

Old 07-06-2008, 07:29 PM

573 posts, read 1,587,539 times
Kasey, I am really sorry for your loss. Anytime I have an animal (frog, hamster, dog, cat, etc.) pass away, I write in my journal. Usually as soon as possible. I write what it was like to touch their ear, to smell their paws, to see them yawn. Any funny antedote. Things will come back to you, trust me. And years from now when you read what you wrote, you'll be glad you did. I am.

Take care,

Cindy

Old 07-07-2008, 06:27 AM

13,169 posts, read 603,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovebdj View Post
Kasey, I am really sorry for your loss. Anytime I have an animal (frog, hamster, dog, cat, etc.) pass away, I write in my journal. Usually as soon as possible. I write what it was like to touch their ear, to smell their paws, to see them yawn. Any funny antedote. Things will come back to you, trust me. And years from now when you read what you wrote, you'll be glad you did. I am.

Take care,

Cindy
What a lovely idea!

Old 07-10-2008, 07:02 PM

1,461 posts, read 3,448,518 times
Each dog is special and unique and you will have to grieve and that just takes time. I think you have to wait a bit before replaceing a pet. You just have to wait until those strong feeling settle down a bit and they will but give yourself some grace to feel these sad feelings. I'm so sorry for your loss.

Old 07-14-2008, 10:31 AM

4 posts, read 6,517 times
Default best friends

[I spent most of my time with the my dogs. They really are my best friends.]

My dog Scout is 11yrs old and these last couple years I have seen him slow down some. I sometimes have to help him get in the car (suv). I say to him "don't worry kiddo, I got ya". He has always been my companion and my guru, more than I can say he's my dog. He's in very good shape and healthy and I just tell him I'm not ready for him to get old and sick on me. I've never lost anyone close to heart. My heart goes to all who have.

Old 07-15-2008, 07:27 PM

255 posts, read 694,325 times
Thankk You all so much for the support. Honestly, you have been my main supporters. Everyone else seems like losing a pet is nothing. And my heart is literally broken. I will write about her. What a wonderful idea. I want to feel her and sense her and I can't even picture her. It is so bizarre. Maybe my way of coping? Not an hour goes by where I am not sensing the loss, but I can't see her unless I look at her pictures. The night after I lost my dog, my Mom went into the hospital. I am can sense I am losing her, too. Needless to say, this is tough. And I am not really coping too well. Really appreciate the love and understanding on here. Has helped me a lot. Thank you all and God Bless.

Old 07-18-2008, 07:34 AM

573 posts, read 1,587,539 times
Kasey, how have you been doing? I've been keeping you in my thoughts......xoxo Cindy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Rainbow Bridge