Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Rainbow Bridge
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2008, 09:35 PM

1,310 posts, read 6,556,030 times

Advertisements

16 years and today I found feathers on the floor. Mom left the cage door open and the two dogs we believe ate the bird. Horrible way to go, but puzzling. We haven't found anything except some blood and feathers. No body parts. I just hope I never find any in the dog kennel. It will be hard to get used to. The other bird mimics Clancy our cockatiel so I keep thinking it's him. I've been wondering the front rooms aimlessly. Poor little guy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2008, 10:03 AM

5,981 posts, read 18,264,452 times
I'm sorry, Deegers...sometimes it is so hard to mix pets and keep everyone safe. I'm really sorry for your loss of Clancy.

Old 07-05-2008, 05:28 PM

5,715 posts, read 15,041,803 times
That's awful, Deegers. Poor Clancy.

Old 07-06-2008, 07:20 AM

3,748 posts, read 12,400,319 times
I know the pain of losing a loved pet. My thoughts are with you.

Old 07-06-2008, 11:02 AM

5,715 posts, read 15,041,803 times
deegers,

I also lost a bird to a dog many years ago.... that bird truly was my heart.

Among the words he said were, "How about a kiss?"... "I love you"...

I fell asleep in bed watching television with Kody, my Eclectus on my chest. When my dog jumped into bed, he landed on Kody's neck... the little sound of his last gasp woke me up.

I couldn't blame the dog either... he just wanted to be on the bed. He didn't mean to. It was an accident.

People that haven't owned birds don't realize how close you become to them.

I'm so sorry for your loss.

Last edited by World Citizen; 07-06-2008 at 11:40 AM..

Old 07-07-2008, 09:59 AM

1,828 posts, read 3,789,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deegers View Post
16 years and today I found feathers on the floor. Mom left the cage door open and the two dogs we believe ate the bird. Horrible way to go, but puzzling. We haven't found anything except some blood and feathers. No body parts. I just hope I never find any in the dog kennel. It will be hard to get used to. The other bird mimics Clancy our cockatiel so I keep thinking it's him. I've been wondering the front rooms aimlessly. Poor little guy.
I am very sorry to hear to hear of your loss. You will see Clancy again in heaven someday.

Old 07-08-2008, 09:09 PM

1,310 posts, read 6,556,030 times
Thanks everyone for your support. My mom wrote a short story about the event to bring some closure to us. I'll post it for you. There's a little humor in there so hopefully those who read it see the humor in it:

Story of the Encounter of Family Bird’s death

It was another hot and windy afternoon in Las Vegas, and Melinda was ready for a cool refreshing shower. Walking into the house, she was greeted by the dogs and noticed bird feathers on the floor. Her first thought was the birds are really molting again, but as she walk further into the kitchen she realized it was to many feathers. This was a crime scene!

I got the call around 4:30pm. Her voice was calm but tentative, "Mom?"
"Yes", I said, "Is everything ok? Did the dogs make a mess?"
She hesitated in her answer, "I think something has happened to Clancy" (our cockatiel of 16yrs) Did you leave the cage open this morning?"
I thought back, oh my gosh, in my haste to leave for work I did forget to close the cage door. "What happened?", I asked.
"Well", she replied, "I think Clancey got out and the dogs got to him. There are feathers all over the house and I think I found a blood splatter."
I was upset and furious with myself for making such a stupid mistake. " Ok , lock the dogs outside, and secure the crime scene. Don't touch anything, I will be home soon."

I left work and drove home as fast as possible. She met me in the garage. "It's a mess in there", she said, "are you sure you are ready for this?"
I took a deep breath and prepared myself for the worse. The crime scene had been secured with the yellow tape, but no chalk marks where the body was. There were feathers everywhere, and what we thought may have been blood. I looked at Melinda and saw she was upset, " Did you look for Clancey?' I asked,.
"Yes", she said, "but I couldn't find him anywhere".
We continued our search through out the house and into the back yard. Nothing. We concluded that the dogs may have eaten him, but I just couldn't put my head around that notion. At least I didn't have to put an APB out on the dogs, we had them in custody already.
Melinda and I decided to clean up the mess and keep looking for Clancey. It took us a while, and our search ended with no results. As we went outside to search the back there was no sign of him. We brought the criminals in to interrogate. They were completely unabashed and denied everything. But the guilt was there in the eyes.
Our conclusion, we believe Clancy flew out of the cage and the dogs attacked him. He tried desperately to get away, but to no avail. The dogs probably played with their prey like most carnivores, before he died. Because we have no body, Melinda thinks he was eaten. I, on the other hand, believe the dogs took him outside, he somehow got away and flew into the trees. I believe he is probably dead, due to stress, heat and probably his heart stop at some point. As a result, we took his cage, cleaned it up and is now out of the house. Our other bird, Aggie, unfortunately, witnessed the entire violent crime and is now in therapy. The dogs were sentenced to life in the house with no parole with the stigma of "Bird Killers" .
Melinda and I still are walking through the house listening for Clancy's whistle, it will be a while before the reality hits. He was a brat of a bird, but part of the family and will be missed. At least I have one less cage I have to clean now!

Written by Wendy Stevens, 6/20/08 RSVP Clancey

Old 07-12-2008, 02:59 PM

4,627 posts, read 10,468,364 times
OMG, deegers, I just read this story of the "crime." How can one laugh and cry at the same time? Your mom is very talented, and I think her love for you shows through. I hope her story helped. That is one bit of writing I'm going to keep.

Thank you for posting it. You'll be with Clancey again - I am very sorry for your loss.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Rainbow Bridge