U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Rainbow Bridge
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2008, 09:05 AM

4,597 posts, read 10,784,449 times

Advertisements

This morning I had to let Maggie(my Saint Bernard) go. She had been diagnosed with osteosarcoma in December 07. We were able to spend some truly wonderful months with her before cancer came back with a vengeance. The last couple of days were rough and I knew it was time. This is probably one of the hardest things I've ever had to go through. I am just so grateful that I got to stay with her until the last moment.

She was the most beautiful creature (inside and out) that I've ever seen in my life. I just don't know how I'm going to ever get through this. Does this pain ever really get away? I know that I am being incredibly selfish, but I just can't stop wishing I had one more day, hour, or even minute with her. I only got to have that beautiful creature in my life for 6 years and 2 months---not nearly enough time.

Our vet gave us a plate with her pawprint on it and I just lost it. I know, I really do that I had to let her go. And I feel like such a huge baby, but I miss her so much. How do you get through this?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2008, 09:15 AM

10,751 posts, read 33,617,195 times
I am SO very sorry for your loss. I lost my favorite cat, my sleeping partner a couple months back. I don't know how you get through it. I try to NOT think about him and then feel quilty for NOT thinking about him.

Its a day by day thing. There really is no easy answer. You will think you hear your Maggie or think you see her out of the corner of our eye. Those times cut me like a knife. Our pets are so conforting to us and too lose one, is so hard to deal with.

Old 07-15-2008, 11:13 AM

Thank you, Lindsey. And I'm so sorry about Rufus. I read your post about feeling his last breaths and hoping he'd come back and I could so relate. Maggie was so very sick and I know it was the right thing to do, to let her go. But as I was watching her take her last breaths I found myself wishing she would stay. Despite knowing it was so selfish of me. *sigh*

Cheers to Rufus and Maggie--until we meet them again.

Old 07-15-2008, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bande1102 View Post
Thank you, Lindsey. And I'm so sorry about Rufus. I read your post about feeling his last breaths and hoping he'd come back and I could so relate. Maggie was so very sick and I know it was the right thing to do, to let her go. But as I was watching her take her last breaths I found myself wishing she would stay. Despite knowing it was so selfish of me. *sigh*

Cheers to Rufus and Maggie--until we meet them again.
Rufus was the kind of cat who would have loved to meet Maggie. I like to think of him on Rainbow bridge with all the other pets, playing and frolicking or like he did most often, sleeping contendly. He would have enjoyed a large dog though. Maggie sounds like she might have enjoyed him as well.

Old 07-15-2008, 07:36 PM

255 posts, read 694,424 times
I feel the same about my little yorkie. I keep saying "If I only had 10 more minutes to hold her"
But, when I read about the heart break on here and the pain of the loss, I think also, how wonderful that there is this deep of love here on this planet. Animal people are loving people.
I saw the pet psychic on the Animal Planet Channel a few years ago. What I got from seeing this episode is that animals view death much differently than humans. It is not as devistating for them and they appreciate when we put them out of their suffering. Their love stays with us no matter what form. And they really are here to open our hearts and let love flow. I don't think I have had any better teachers in my life about love than my animals. And I can feel that this is the same for you. I can't say anything about the grieving because I am grieving, too and it is not any easier. But, I do know that I am enriched by having her and will always love her and some day, be with her.

Old 07-15-2008, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasey77 View Post
I feel the same about my little yorkie. I keep saying "If I only had 10 more minutes to hold her"
But, when I read about the heart break on here and the pain of the loss, I think also, how wonderful that there is this deep of love here on this planet. Animal people are loving people.
I saw the pet psychic on the Animal Planet Channel a few years ago. What I got from seeing this episode is that animals view death much differently than humans. It is not as devistating for them and they appreciate when we put them out of their suffering. Their love stays with us no matter what form. And they really are here to open our hearts and let love flow. I don't think I have had any better teachers in my life about love than my animals. And I can feel that this is the same for you. I can't say anything about the grieving because I am grieving, too and it is not any easier. But, I do know that I am enriched by having her and will always love her and some day, be with her.
I agree with you, my family was not what I would call nurturing. My pets became my family. They give unreserved love and so much fun as well. The way they smile when you come back home even if you only went to the grocery store. Even better how excited they get when you can take them along.

Old 07-17-2008, 06:35 AM

1,738 posts, read 7,904,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bande1102 View Post
This morning I had to let Maggie(my Saint Bernard) go. She had been diagnosed with osteosarcoma in December 07. We were able to spend some truly wonderful months with her before cancer came back with a vengeance. The last couple of days were rough and I knew it was time. This is probably one of the hardest things I've ever had to go through. I am just so grateful that I got to stay with her until the last moment.

She was the most beautiful creature (inside and out) that I've ever seen in my life. I just don't know how I'm going to ever get through this. Does this pain ever really get away? I know that I am being incredibly selfish, but I just can't stop wishing I had one more day, hour, or even minute with her. I only got to have that beautiful creature in my life for 6 years and 2 months---not nearly enough time.

Our vet gave us a plate with her pawprint on it and I just lost it. I know, I really do that I had to let her go. And I feel like such a huge baby, but I miss her so much. How do you get through this?
my heart goes out to you!
I can't say the hole in your heart ever goes away but it turns from a bitter, sad memory to a sweet, darling one. You start to talk about the silly things they do and their wonderful personalities and learn to love them more.

It does get easier ..many hugs and prayers!

I will never forget my kitties green eyes and face when I kisses him goodbye. It was a sad memory at first but I'm so glad I have it. I am always comparing other cats fur to my Baileys and he had a wonderful smell that no animal will ever have(sounds strange I know)

Old 07-17-2008, 12:54 PM

485 posts, read 1,865,099 times
When you're ready, another dog will heal the wound.

They are in our keeping for such a brief time, but that is the way of it, and we must move on.

Carrying the memory, of course.

It is the magic of a dog to turn tears into joy, and grief into warm thoughts.

I lost a dog to osteosarcoma, too-how it hurts!

I'm so sorry you had so little time with your friend-I have a Maggie of my own(pit bull), who came to me on one of my worst days, totally unexpected.

I adopted her on a parking lot, she was abandoned, but not any more!

So choose another dog, save a life, lift your spirits, do a blessing to the world.

I'm sure your Maggie would be very pleased if you did.

Old 07-17-2008, 02:13 PM

Thank you so much for your posts--they do make me feel better. I feel like you guys get it--they were so much more than just animals. And we're all so lucky to have had them in our lives, no matter how short the time. Is it ever long enough?

Kelly, I know exactly what you mean about the smell. I'm sorry about Bailey. I know what you mean about their eyes, too. Truly one of the most profound moments of my life.

Kasey, I couldn't agree more. We are so lucky to have our furbabies.

krakenten--beautiful. And you're right. And give your Maggie a great big hug and kiss for me. Someday I hope they find a cure for osteosarcoma--such a relentless and vicious disease.

Lindsay--ah, my Maggie loved cats! I'm sure they're great friends.

Old 07-17-2008, 09:05 PM

485 posts, read 1,865,099 times
All you who grieve, get to the pound!

There are lives to save, there's not a minute to lose!

You know they'd want you to do it, so why hesitate?

(hint, don't get the same breed-you'll always compare him to the previous dog, and you can't have that one back(not even by cloning), so be fair and start a new love affair.

Andrew Vachss, the writer and dog lover said:
"If love would die with death, life wouldn't be so hard".

There are eyes to adore you, and a heart to love you, right there.

It's easy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Rainbow Bridge