Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Rainbow Bridge
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Dog died: adopted from shelter, clean bill of health, bashful pet, completely different animal, furbabies

Old 09-19-2008, 08:13 AM

1,294 posts, read 6,486,338 times

Advertisements

it still feels like it all happened yesterday. my little girl (lucy) passed away in a traumatic and tragic accident. she was only 2 1/2. we only had her a year and a half. the day after her 6 month check up and her clean bill of health. within one hour everything had changed. every single night before i fall asleep my mind races and all the events of that day run through my head. i blame myself even though it wasn't my fault. i still cry a lot. it's like she was just here yesterday and i can't believe she's not here but then it feels like it's been forever since i've seen her.

the only thing that gets me through is that i believe she's in heaven and i'll see her again. she's happy and healthy and waiting on us to get there.

i probably loved her too much and i know that's not really possible, but i'm very tender hearted and loved her SO much. she was my child. she was very clingy and needy and we adopted her from the shelter. i met her at a rally and it was love at first sight. she was just the best dog ever and always so happy. even on the day she passed away when she was hurt she was thinking of us. she never needed training and was perfect. i mean she had her quirks, but she was perfect to me.

so now five months later, everyone is over it. no one talks to me about her (i talk about her all the time), no one sees me cry. but inside my heart is still very broken and i just don't know when its going to get better. i don't want to forget her and i want her back so badly. i just don't understand why she had to die and the way it happened and she was so young.

i guess it just takes time to get through it. i'm so sorry for everyone's losses. it helps just typing this out. i'll be honest, i can't bear to come to this forum, it's just so sad, but i appreciate everyone who continually post and read. you all are wonderful.
Attached Thumbnails
5 months later-img_2252.jpg  

Last edited by fisher33; 09-19-2008 at 08:32 AM.. Reason: photo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2008, 11:19 PM
bjh

60,096 posts, read 30,387,317 times
Even if others don't respond the way you seem to, your feelings are healthy. Know that. And please don't blame yourself. You did the best you could with what you knew at the time.

And I am so sorry for your loss. She sounds like a special dog. I feel I know a bit about her from your description. I'm so glad you found her and gave her all the love and care she could want in the time you were together.

I too like to adopt an "underdog" if I can. A runt maybe or a bashful pet. They have hidden depths. The shy sweet ones often live up to the expression "Still waters run deep." And I have a tough time sometimes feeling comfortable around people, so maybe kindred spirits find each other. I too believe she will be there at the rainbow bridge happy to see you, her friend.

Old 09-20-2008, 02:43 PM

2,807 posts, read 7,585,225 times
I am very sorry for your loss...I lost my cat Humphrey on Thursday, and I know how painful it is to let them go. Everyone thinks "you'll get over it", but the truth is that you never really stop missing the loved ones that pass away. I still cry when I think about my dog Sam who we had to put to sleep when I was 12 (I'm 36 now!!!) But their spirits remain close to us forever, and we will all meet up again. Do you have any other pets to help ease the agony? I know Lucy can never be replaced, but maybe a different type of animal or a dog who looks completely different? Chihuahuas are just the silliest ever, and they are such a blessing to me right now, as is my cat Harley...(though she's pretty depressed without her lifelong companion)...looking at those little faces gives me the strength to keep going, because I know they need me to be strong for them. Don't blame yourself...maybe Lucy was an old, wise spirit who only needed to be here on Earth for a short time. You are obviously a great and loving parent to your furbabies, and there are so many out there who need and deserve all the love you have to give them! Hang in there, and cry as much as you need to cry...it is healthy to release your emotions, and too many people try to suppress and "move on" but in reality they are only putting off the grieving process and making it more difficult in the longrun. I truly feel for you, and hope things will get better soon.

Old 09-21-2008, 06:25 PM

303 posts, read 1,385,987 times
I'm so sorry for your loss! I understand as I have lost two over the past year and a half. I'm glad to hear you know she is in heaven and you will see her again... you will! And just try to remember that. No, I don't think you loved her too much. Not possible!

I cry alot as well. And usually when no one sees me. It just seems easier that way. I can't help but let it out sometimes. And like someone else said, it's good to get it out.

I think it's great you still talk about her. You will never forget her and she will always be with you!!!

Old 09-22-2008, 02:26 PM

1,294 posts, read 6,486,338 times
thank you all for your posts. you're all so sweet.

just since writing, i talked w/ my husband about how sad i was and we've been talking about her more. he said he didn't want to talk about her b/c he thought it made me sadder, but it actually makes it better b/c i don't want it to seem like we have forgotten her by not talking about her.

that tragic day is still running through my head before i go to sleep every night, but i think it will stop eventually. it's got to.

we definitely will not forget our girl. she's waiting on us and i know your pets are also waiting on you. they love us and are excited to see us again.

no other pets, she was our only child. eventually we'll adopt again - probably two next time. there are so many in shelters that need good homes. i wish i could have 10. but then a part of me doesn't want another one for a while, but i think in the next 6 months or so we'll be ready to look. hopefully the next one will find us like lucy did.

thank you again for writing. i appreciate the care and understanding!

Old 09-22-2008, 02:53 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,418,125 times
Sending you virtual hugs. I know exactly what you are going through. I can only offer, that eventually it will get better. But it does take time. Hopefully, you can find in your heart...just a little room, to share with another another furbaby. You will be helping him/her, as much as they will help you get over your sorrow.

Old 10-08-2008, 07:19 PM

873 posts, read 1,588,682 times
I'm so sorry for your loss. Your feelings are very real and very normal for anyone who loved their pet. I still miss pets who died much longer ago then that! In fact, I miss them very much. I too, had a lot of guilt with two of them. I came home and found one dead on the living room floor. It's an awful feeling when a loved one dies. But they are loved ones and what you're feeling is normal. Just accept it, cry, get it out of your system. Try to move forward. Maybe you could approach a good friend to discuss your feelings with? Someone who would understand?

Old 10-10-2008, 10:11 AM

1,092 posts, read 2,699,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisher33 View Post
it still feels like it all happened yesterday. my little girl (lucy) passed away in a traumatic and tragic accident. she was only 2 1/2. we only had her a year and a half. the day after her 6 month check up and her clean bill of health. within one hour everything had changed. every single night before i fall asleep my mind races and all the events of that day run through my head. i blame myself even though it wasn't my fault. i still cry a lot. it's like she was just here yesterday and i can't believe she's not here but then it feels like it's been forever since i've seen her.

the only thing that gets me through is that i believe she's in heaven and i'll see her again. she's happy and healthy and waiting on us to get there.

i probably loved her too much and i know that's not really possible, but i'm very tender hearted and loved her SO much. she was my child. she was very clingy and needy and we adopted her from the shelter. i met her at a rally and it was love at first sight. she was just the best dog ever and always so happy. even on the day she passed away when she was hurt she was thinking of us. she never needed training and was perfect. i mean she had her quirks, but she was perfect to me.

so now five months later, everyone is over it. no one talks to me about her (i talk about her all the time), no one sees me cry. but inside my heart is still very broken and i just don't know when its going to get better. i don't want to forget her and i want her back so badly. i just don't understand why she had to die and the way it happened and she was so young.

i guess it just takes time to get through it. i'm so sorry for everyone's losses. it helps just typing this out. i'll be honest, i can't bear to come to this forum, it's just so sad, but i appreciate everyone who continually post and read. you all are wonderful.
She is beautiful. I am sure she is looking down from heaven and smiling at you. In the short time she spent with you, I am positive you were a wonderful mom.

Old 10-15-2008, 12:56 PM

1,077 posts, read 2,632,809 times
My Whitey died in a freak hunting accident over two years ago. I cry almost everyday for her. She was my girl, my protector, my kids babysitter my hunting partner and my best friend. I was still unconsolable after five months, time and faith heal. It took me 20 months to even look at another dog. The owner of Whitey's brother said that he had a litter and although they were black (not yellows) he wanted me to come look at the runt. It took me a week to go out, but he was right. She had the look in her eyes. Thats all it took for me. A little bit of Whitey in my Shy girl. I still cry for Whitey cause she can never be replaced. I love Shy so much and alot of the quirks she has remind me of Whitey. I blame myself for taking Whitey out hunting (she loved it soooo much) another hunter in the area didn't see her and she got hit with a stray shot and it nicked her liver. I have promised to never take Shy hunting even though she is amazing bird dog with natural instincts. Give yourself time and remember it's okay to cry however long it takes you.

Old 10-15-2008, 06:31 PM

873 posts, read 1,588,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magoomafoo View Post
My Whitey died in a freak hunting accident over two years ago. I cry almost everyday for her. She was my girl, my protector, my kids babysitter my hunting partner and my best friend. I was still unconsolable after five months, time and faith heal. It took me 20 months to even look at another dog. The owner of Whitey's brother said that he had a litter and although they were black (not yellows) he wanted me to come look at the runt. It took me a week to go out, but he was right. She had the look in her eyes. Thats all it took for me. A little bit of Whitey in my Shy girl. I still cry for Whitey cause she can never be replaced. I love Shy so much and alot of the quirks she has remind me of Whitey. I blame myself for taking Whitey out hunting (she loved it soooo much) another hunter in the area didn't see her and she got hit with a stray shot and it nicked her liver. I have promised to never take Shy hunting even though she is amazing bird dog with natural instincts. Give yourself time and remember it's okay to cry however long it takes you.
How those four-legged little creatures touch our lives! I have to respond because I totally understand where you're coming from. When one of my cats died, all I could think of is "there is no replacement, I'll never have another animal". I too cried if anything so much as reminded me of him. And EVERYTHING reminded me of him.

Then one day, I just couldn't take not holding him. We decided to go to animal control just to hold one. I really missed him in my lap purring. We went down and one of my children spotted a little guy who he insisted on taking home. After some arguing back and forth, I finally agreed on condition that this was HIS cat, not mine, he would pay for it and take care of it. I just couldn't bring myself to get attached to another one. I wanted nothing to do with another animal. It's just too painful when you get attached and then they're gone.

Well we brought him home and a few weeks later my children took off for a vacation. During that time, the kitten insisted on sleeping under my blankets, cuddling up to me, sitting on my lap, etc.

About two months after we got him, and he was a funny little one, a friend was here and the kitten crawled on my lap (from the moment my children left him with me, he decided I was his). Without thinking, I leaned over and gave him a kiss on the forehead. When I looked up, my friend and my children started giggling at me. I said, WHAT? They said, "you love him don't you?". It was confession time. I had fallen for the little bugger.

Well he died 10 years later too. And now, I miss them both. And yes, I was an emotional wreck after he died too. But I guess what I'm trying to say is that, lots of those precious babies out there need the love that you can give them. And in return, they'll give you lots of love back. I know it's hard to imagine, but I am just willing to bet that you have a lot of love to share with another baby and your other baby wouldn't want you to be without another baby to love you back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Rainbow Bridge