Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Rainbow Bridge
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2008, 05:31 PM

56 posts, read 120,953 times

Advertisements

Ever since Elvis, my 15yr old Pomeranian passed away on October 10th, my other 2 dogs have been acting strangely. I am sure that my other Pom, Teddy (who is 14yrs old and has been with Elvis his whole life) is missing him. I am hoping that he isn't too lonely without his brother
The other day I gave him Elvis' blanket that he use to sleep on (on my bed) to Teddy and now he growls if my 10 month old (very playful) Maltese, Randy goes near him when he's laying on it. I am guessing he's being protective because he knows it was Elvis' but I don't know.
I think my puppy is confused about where Elvis is since it's been 2 weeks but I don't think its effected him like it has Teddy. But strangely enough Randy has picked up some of Elvis' traits like cuddling with me when I watch TV, sleeping with me in my bed and laying in Elvis' bed during the day when I am working on the pc, which is right next to me... when he never did this before.
Has anyone else ever experienced this with other pets? I am not sure what I should be doing to ease the pain that they may be feeling because I'm still not even accepting this loss myself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2008, 05:19 AM

2,807 posts, read 7,582,606 times
I definitely think other animals know when one of their siblings have passed, and yes I also believe they grieve. When my cat Humphrey died Sept. 18th, his sister cat, Harley, was very depressed...and has taken to lying on my bed all day, where Humphrey spent most of his time. I feel his spirit there very strongly, and believe she can at least sense, if not see, his spirit. I know my chihuahuas missed him too, they all LOVED him and would groom him every night before bed, and he'd just purr away, thrilled with all the female attention in the house, (he was the only male). I did my best to ease all our pain by staying home a lot more & giving them extra snuggles, even putting on music and "dancing" with them (the little dogs go crazy for this...they get up on their hind legs and lift their front ones, wiggling & acting silly) just to lighten the vibe and let them know that even though mama's sad, there is still love & light to be shared. But I'm still grieving, as I write these words the tears continue to flow...I understand your pain and hope it helps to know you're not alone.

Old 10-27-2008, 10:17 AM

1,731 posts, read 4,681,822 times
They know. I actually made a point, some may say a gross point, to bring my cat Chi-Chi's body home after she was put to sleep. I knew my dogs would not understand her leaving the house and not coming back. So I brought her home, laid her on the living room floor and let them smell her and nuzzle her. They all started crying and seemed to understand that she was different. I buried her in the front yard right near one of the bedrooms that the animals have take over and they got to watch the whole thing. I really do think it made things easier for them although I must admit my one dog Julie, who she was really close to, mourned for almost two weeks. She would go to all of Chi-Chi's favorite spots and just lie down and whine there. Now the only time they get sentimental is when they see a stuffed animal I have that looks just like her. In fact my dog Buddy keeps swiping it to cuddle with. It's so cute but sometimes when I walk by real quick I think it's her and have to remember all over again that she is gone.

Anway, I believe they do know and need comfort from us just like we do from them. My thoughts are with you.

Old 10-27-2008, 09:09 PM

2,637 posts, read 7,427,019 times
My Jack was needy in the morning for the first couple of weeks once his buddy Shadow went to rainbow birdges. Early on, I aksed him where Shadow was & he let out a loud meow, now 4 months later, I don't think he even remembers Shadow's name. He is loving all of the extra attention and not having to fight over the family room window.

Old 10-28-2008, 06:50 AM

Ok, you have all made what I have felt in my heart and have seen with my own eyes a little more real for me. Now I know I'm not losing my mind and they really do grieve and feel the pain that we feel.
Thank you for the very touching stories. I can totally relate to them all.
Kathleen, I didn't find it "gross" at all. I think what you did took incredible inner strength and it was wonderful that you let your other fur babies say goodbye.
After Elvis passed while I was holding him.. I laid him down on my family room rug, wrapped in his blanket and let my other 2 dogs Teddy and Randy come over to him and see what had happened. They both kind of sniffed him and stared at him for a few minutes. I think that was their way of saying goodbye and that is what I needed to do for them. I couldn't just take Elvis away from them after so long of being together (14yrs with Teddy.. though Randy is only 10 months old). Elvis is buried in my back yard, in his favorite spot by the fence in a corner and we go back there often to "visit". Some may think that's stupid but it helps me right now and I think it helps even my other dogs because they go back there too and just lay nearby.
On another note, I just found out that my neighbors dog had to be put down the other day due to horrible hip problems. He was 12yrs old and I am hoping that Elvis was there to meet Bear when he passed. I have this vision of Elvis being all alone and I think that is what hurts me so badly.
So maybe they are together now.

Old 10-28-2008, 09:13 AM

1,731 posts, read 4,681,822 times
Goldnstar, first of all thanks for not thinking me gross. I did what I felt was right and I have never regretted it.

I did want to let you know that Elvis is not alone. Not only is he hanging out with your loved ones both human and animal having a grand old time where time does not pass like it does here, he is also getting to know his own relatives who have passed before him. They have their fur relatives too ya know. So please don't worry. He is doing just fine and will be there to greet you when your time comes. And I visit my Chi-Chi all the time. Since she is buried out front I get to say good morning to her everyday.

I know you are hurting but it does get easier. Soon when you think of Elvis it will be with a smile and not as many tears.

Old 10-28-2008, 04:17 PM

573 posts, read 1,689,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathleen1971 View Post
They know. I actually made a point, some may say a gross point, to bring my cat Chi-Chi's body home after she was put to sleep.

Over the years I have done this, as well. My friends would always get freaked out, but I have to say I think it brings some kind of closure to the other pets that are still here.

Old 10-28-2008, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovebdj View Post
Over the years I have done this, as well. My friends would always get freaked out, but I have to say I think it brings some kind of closure to the other pets that are still here.
That is exactly the way I was trying to say it but I couldn't think of the right words. I wanted Teddy and Randy to have some closure and not wonder what happened to Elvis.

*hugs* to everyone

Old 10-28-2008, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathleen1971 View Post
I did want to let you know that Elvis is not alone.
I honestly didn't know what to think and I needed to hear that.. so thank you. I feel a bit better now

Old 10-29-2008, 07:55 AM

385 posts, read 1,920,237 times
I think my Harley cat is grieving Heidi... she is doing what she can to comfort me. It's funny, there were things that Heidi did specifically that Harley NEVER used to do, now Harley does them. It's almost as if Heidi told her: "Make sure you do this, it makes mommy happy!"

Also, in Heidi's last days, Harley spent quite a bit of time with Heidi... Just laying near her and protecting her from our foster cat that has a tendancy to play rough.

I know Harley knew Heidi was sick and was being a true friend, just like how she is being with me now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Rainbow Bridge