Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Rainbow Bridge
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 11:21 AM

1,097 posts, read 1,121,098 times

Advertisements

MSR, you gave Holi exactly the life she would have wanted to have and she died in the glory of doing something she loved doing. You could have done nothing better or proved your love in a better way! It had to be hard knowing and waiting for that moment, but you deserve hugs big time for how you dealt with it. Holi is waiting with a huge "thank you" lick for you at the Bridge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2009, 08:50 PM

8,440 posts, read 13,393,961 times
Smile Balancing the Mischievous Acts with Appropriate Consequences: It is Harder When All Know a Clock is Ticking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3chidogs View Post
MSR, you gave Holi exactly the life she would have wanted to have and she died in the glory of doing something she loved doing. You could have done nothing better or proved your love in a better way! It had to be hard knowing and waiting for that moment, but you deserve hugs big time for how you dealt with it. Holi is waiting with a huge "thank you" lick for you at the Bridge.
Dear 3chidogs,

Thank you for such comforting words and understanding. It helps to know someone else understands my decisions for Holi.

You are so right. She did died after doing something she loved to do with her litter mate sister and in glory, having almost everyone she loved right there.

You are also accurate it was hard to know each day could be her last and wondering what the night or tomorrow would bring; however, in some ways, I think I value all life more because of her. If I could treat every human and canine relationship the same...living to have no regrets as life can end so suddenly.

Holi had two scenerios for her disease. The other would have been slow heart failure. We were actually encouraged at her last echo as she had outlived predictions for her by 9 months at that point and I was starting to plan a second birthday celebration for the two litter mates. In a sense it was a shock to lose her one month short of their second birthday, given how good her echo had looked. That being said, the placement of her sub-aortic stenosis created the double problem of either a conduction problem (of the heartbeat) causing sudden death, or the thickening of her atrium working so hard to pump blood she would have slow heart failure and all that went with that.

No matter how one losses a beloved pet, it hurts. In looking back I did see some changes over the hot summer months prior to when we lost her. But, in the fall with it cool enough for her to comfortably play, it was a joy and something I'll always remember to have witnessed her last lap and shared time with her sister.

Thank you for what I call "cyber hugs." That is very kind of you. Everyone who has lost a pet deserves a cyber hug. The kindness and understanding of those who post here has truly amazed me.

I don't doubt I will see my playful Holi again. It is nice to know others have similar beliefs and feelings. Gonna be a little crowded on the Rainbow Bridge, so I've asked my girls to meet me in a green field/lawn where they can run, play and enjoy the reunion. I'm also one who believes these girls' spirits/souls or whatever word one wants to use, are together now. That knolwedge has brought me tremendous comfort after we lost Holi. She was physically and age-wise, the youngest of the three. It gave me peace to think of her being with the much more seasoned Itsy, "showing her the ropes," so to speak, of where they both were. Later, I believe Stella joined them too.

Holi did have the worst congenital heart defect for a canine, but that was only one part of her. She also had a personality unlike any I've ever seen in a canine. She had a tremendous need to play daily and make sure she was getting everyone involved in living. At times, it was really difficult to know how to consequence her for her behavior as I couldn't let her set a bad example for her sister, I wanted to laugh at most of the naughty things she did and part of me was relieved she felt well enough to do those naughty things. That alone makes her unusual as humans can usually more clearly draw a line on what has been inappropriate behavior vs. appropriate behavior. Holi kept me on my toes.

I lost more slippers due to her deciding to "walk them" to another area of the house and chew them for fun. She also use to play a game with her sister where she would pick up the elastic bands from the mail and somehow get her sister to pick up the other piece of it every time. Then, as Holi would be walking away, which of course created tension in the elastic band, she'd just let go of it. The result was her sister always got the "shock," or "sting," whatever you want to call it from having the elastic band hit her. She was so sweet and angelic in many ways, but did have a mischievious side to her.

It's as if she knew she didn't have a lot of time and she wanted to have fun and enjoy her life everyday. I don't know that all humans are that wise (I wasn't in quite the same way I am now) and truly find something to enjoy about their lives daily.

Thank you again for your very kind and heart-felt post. It meant a lot to me.

MSR

Old 08-13-2009, 04:55 AM

Lightbulb Paul Simon's Mother and Child Reunion was written for their family dog, & the bone between their pet and his wife.

Thanks, TKramer, for writing briefly about the meaning of Paul Simon's Mother and Child Reunion.

I researched the topic myself and here is what Simon said was his motivation or writing this famous song:

"According to him (Paul Simon), he was moved to write the song by the death of his family dog in the summer of 1971:

Last summer we had a dog that was run over and killed, and we loved this dog. It was the first death I had ever experienced personally. Nobody in my family died that I felt that. But I felt this loss -- one minute there, next minute gone, and then my first thought was, "Oh, man, what if that was (my wife) Peggy? What if somebody like that died? Death, what is it, I can't get it." And there were lyrics straight out forward like that. The chorus for "Mother and Child Reunion" -- well, that's out of the title. Somehow there was a connection between this death and Peggy and it was like Heaven, I don't know what the connection was. Some emotional connection. It didn't matter to me what it was. I just knew it was there."

I hadn't realized this previously and I found his words soothing. Perhaps those who are moved by music will feel comfort listening to Paul Simon's Mother and Child Reunion, now knowing the true meaning of it.

While I am now Paul Simon, I would say the same feeling applies to a "Father and Child Reunion."

I hope this helps those who listen heal a little more, as grief is a process and no two people work through it the same way or same timeframce.

HUGS to all who need them as I do hope this song helps your soul feel more at rest knowing their will be a reunion in the future.

MSR

Old 08-13-2009, 12:10 PM

Post Double Goof on My Part - I Apologize

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn. States Resident View Post
Thanks, TKramer, for writing briefly about the meaning of Paul Simon's Mother and Child Reunion.

I researched the topic myself and here is what Simon said was his motivation or writing this famous song:

"According to him (Paul Simon), he was moved to write the song by the death of his family dog in the summer of 1971:

Last summer we had a dog that was run over and killed, and we loved this dog. It was the first death I had ever experienced personally. Nobody in my family died that I felt that. But I felt this loss -- one minute there, next minute gone, and then my first thought was, "Oh, man, what if that was (my wife) Peggy? What if somebody like that died? Death, what is it, I can't get it." And there were lyrics straight out forward like that. The chorus for "Mother and Child Reunion" -- well, that's out of the title. Somehow there was a connection between this death and Peggy and it was like Heaven, I don't know what the connection was. Some emotional connection. It didn't matter to me what it was. I just knew it was there."

I hadn't realized this previously and I found his words soothing. Perhaps those who are moved by music will feel comfort listening to Paul Simon's Mother and Child Reunion, now knowing the true meaning of it.

While I am now Paul Simon, I would say the same feeling applies to a "Father and Child Reunion."

I hope this helps those who listen heal a little more, as grief is a process and no two people work through it the same way or same timeframce.

HUGS to all who need them as I do hope this song helps your soul feel more at rest knowing their will be a reunion in the future.

MSR
OOPS - my tired eyes didn't catch the typo. The first part should have been written, "Paul Simon's Mother and Child Reunion was written for their family dog, & the BOND between their pet and his wife." While "bone" may fit too, I meant to write "BOND." I hope for some my typo made your day a bit easier.

I wrote, While I am now Paul Simon, I would say the same feeling applies to a "Father and Child Reunion." I meant to say While I am NOT Paul Simon, I would say the same feeling applies to a "Father and Child Reunion" as well.

MSR
Sorry for my erros.

Old 10-30-2009, 08:10 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,121,220 times
At the request of MSR, after reading of my dearly departed Sydney, I'm reposting the song I placed in her thread "She was my best friend" as a commemoration to her and for anyone who has ever lost a beloved pet. _Thank you MSR.

YouTube - Peter Gabriel - I Grieve

Old 10-30-2009, 09:02 AM

1,463 posts, read 4,309,654 times
Sorry for you loss and very touching tune.

Old 10-30-2009, 11:55 AM

This is another song which just tugs at the heartstrings.

YouTube - Leonard Cohen - Love Itself

Old 10-30-2009, 10:48 PM

Smile Thanks for Adding More Music Some May Find Comforting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday007 View Post
At the request of MSR, after reading of my dearly departed Sydney, I'm reposting the song I placed in her thread "She was my best friend" as a commemoration to her and for anyone who has ever lost a beloved pet. _Thank you MSR.

YouTube - Peter Gabriel - I Grieve
You are so welcome Thursday007. Thank you for adding additional music some may find comforting during their difficult days.

As I wrote in a different forum when I encouraged you to also post here, there is a group of people here who have a sense of your pain. We haven't all experienced identical situations; however, we all have had at least one pet, if not more, that we were very attached to and want to share some of the memories with others too. I told you there would always be someone here to help support you and get you through the rough days. That's what we do here....we help each other.

Please feel free to add more words or music as you would like. You are a contributor like anyone else. Sadly, membership to this club involves a very sad experience happening to a furry baby. The plus side is finding out how much people can put any differences aside and reach out to help another person who might be struggling.

Sending you cyberhugs from afar. I hope you feel our hugs insulating you some from the things that are the hardest to bear right now.

Hang in there Thursday007. I'm proud of you for taking this step and sharing something so personal with others you didn't really know. It says a lot about you. Sydney already told us you are "good people" chosing to spend her last moments in your arms.

We're here, tell us how we can help you.

MSR

Old 10-31-2009, 03:35 AM

For so many, including myself, who still continue to long and grieve for their beloved pets after years and years beyond their passing. The bond just last for thousand years...

YouTube - A Thousand Years - STING

Old 10-31-2009, 03:50 AM

Some lyrics from above: A Thousand Years

A million roads, a million fears
A million suns, ten million years of uncertainty
I could speak a million lies, a million songs,
A million rights, a million wrongs in this balance of time
But if there was a single truth, a single light
A single thought, a singular touch of grace
Then following this single point , this single flame,
The single haunted memory of your face
I still love you
I still want you
A thousand times the mysteries unfold themselves
Like galaxies in my head
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Rainbow Bridge