Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Rainbow Bridge
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2009, 12:28 AM

8,440 posts, read 13,369,644 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zugor View Post
MSR I haven't yet been able to handle listening to you tribute but I will try soon. I know all too well how you are feeling even though it has been 3 years since the loss of your beloved Holi. Solly is the dog that I still fervently miss each and every day and it has been over 3 years since he passed away.

Having just had to bid a sudden and unexpected farewell to Orion three days ago my heart is heavy. Today, the 19th, is the 3rd anniversary of the loss of Sam, who was with me for just one wonderful year.

On a Sunday afternoon in Sept of 1990 I lost a 22 month old golden to what the vet could only guess was probably SAS, which I had never heard of back then.

But the most important thing we all share is the great joy we experience as a result of having these wonderful companions during a part of our journey through this life. For me the best way to honor their memories is to keep working to save the lives of many more of them; to help find new loving homes for the abandoned ones, places where they will be cherished for many years and mourned when they die. The pleasure of their company always outweighs the loss in my experience. So when I am ready there will be another big old black dog who comes to live out the remainder of his/her life at this country home for old dogs.
Zugor,

No one says there is a timeframe of when one needs to listen, or even if they listen to some of what I burned on a CD for Holi.

I am so sorry for your losses. You have incredible strength to open your heart again to help other pets. I like what you wrote about cherishing pets for year and mourning them when they are gone. I'm also glad you realize that YOU know when it is time to open your heart again to another furry friend. It isn't good for the pet or owner, IMHO, to have an pet forced on anyone, just because one has dealt with an illness or injuries previously.

No one can tell me our furry friends are part of our families when we know the exact dates of when we last had them with us.

Thank you for taking the time to post, Zugor. I appreciate your remarks greatly.

MSR
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2009, 12:37 AM

Smile Sharing Feelings With Others Here Helps Me; Healing At Its Own Pace.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
MSR
So sorry about your dear Holi.
We never forget, even if the pain might lessen just a bit.
So true BWP.

Thank you for taking the time to post here when your own heart is hurt from losing your beloved Elwood.

I honestly have found being able to post about Holi here has helped me tremendously. Previously, some people meant well, but really didn't know what to say.

I guess what I'm trying to say (and not doing it very well), is it feels like home here where other pet owners also had feelings as deep as my own about their beloved pets.

It's good to finally have found a home where friends everywhere understand.

I hope your day tomorrow is just a little easier than today BWP..

MSR

Old 10-15-2009, 09:28 AM

Default Missing You Today

Happy Birthday, my beloved little Holi.

Today is your shared birthday with you twin, Christi. We are so happy Christi has done better this last year, but also are sad you can't be with us here today.

Looking forward to our own special place to walk in a meadow or grassy lawn, when the time comes to see you again.

All my love my sweet girl ~~

Old 10-15-2009, 12:13 PM

1,094 posts, read 1,114,319 times
MSR, I know it is such a bittersweet day for you. But celebrating Holi's birthday is an ongoing tribute to the joy she gave you and the love you gave her. Enjoy her day with her sister and remember your Holi and all the special moments you shared! Happy Birthday Holi!!

Old 10-15-2009, 06:00 PM

1,463 posts, read 4,300,546 times
Sorry for your loss. Always recall the good times that you shared with your buddy.

Old 10-16-2009, 02:02 PM

Lightbulb It's Good To Be Among Friends

Thank you both 3chidogs and chaseystarz for your very supportive and kind comments. They helped yesterday.

I want to share something I haven't written before and also state for my own mental health, as well as protecting those who helped me this past summer, I really can't go into this further as it is a very complex situation. I was somewhat resolved about Holi's death last year. I missed her, but it wasn't as difficult as several months have been recently this year.

Many events have happened since Christi's and Holi's birthday last year, which directly increased my sense of loss about Holi. I will only share two.

Of all days, on my own birthday this past summer, I found an email her DVM had sent me years ago about Holi's cardiac status and planning for her repeat echo, which was done 8 days after the email was sent. Re-reading that email on my birthday, I understood something at a different level than I ever did earlier. Consequently, I requested a copy of Holi's chart, if for no other reason, the same practice cares for her sister, Christi. While Christi should NEVER have the same problem with her heart since it was a congenital condition, should I move or other events happen, I wanted to have Holi's records available, if down the road they were ever needed for Christi.

Additionally, I was made aware a couple of months ago that Holi's chart would be destroyed last month as it would be 3 years since we lost her. The clinic policy is to destroy charts after 3 years, which I totally understand. Nonetheless, it felt like another level of loss as her medical records, a documentation of her existence, would be destroyed. Since we have so few pictures of her, her chart was really, really important to me as a record of her life. Thus my personal need to preserve her chart, both for Christi's future medical care, if ever needed, and so I could look again if I wanted at some things to better understand someday down the road.

I'll simply say the DVM who treated Holi was very attached to her as well. It is strictly my opinion, that Dr. X refused to sign off letting me have a copy of her chart when I requested it months ago. I can't describe the feeling I had.

Unfortunately, it had to become a much larger issue than it should have been. Over the course of about three months, three other DVMs in the same clinic got involved. The other DVMs became involved as a courtesy to me to ensure I got a copy of her chart. Also, legally any owner is entitled to a copy of their pet's chart when requested. I am extremely grateful for all of those who went out of their way, despite them never caring for Holi as their patient, to make sure I had her records. At least I got most of her chart. I don't care about her vaccination pages.

It's more complicated than that, but the summary I've written is all I want to write. This needs to be a finished issue.

I appreciate the support of everyone during what has been a time of reliving her death entirely again, as I've had to battle (but at least this time with the help of the other DVMs) to get her chart. It should never have to be this hard. I hope no one else has to experience what I've had to the last few months to obtain the records of such a precious, loving pet.

Since I want to leave this on a more upbeat note, I'll say I never intended to open that packet of records, or at least not for a long time. For some reason, I opened them the day I got them. I didn't look at any of the notes about her - I already had received the two most important pages from one of the DVMs determined I would get them. Instead, what I found, was a page that meant far more to me. It was a check in sheet I had filled in when I checked her in one time for a visit.

There are several check off boxes so the most important concerns can be addressed at that visit. Since Cardiac was always #1, I went looking one day (and I even remember this) and I found something different to add to the list. I do add humor when it gets too intense, as we all need a break.

Under "Behavioral Concerns," in my own hand writing, I had written: "Not if we do what Holi wants us to." For me, that was one of the most healing parts I've experienced, along with this forum.

Remember my little bug as being a character who knew what SHE wanted every day she was alive. If only the rest of us would comply, she had many wonderful days.

My sincere hope for all of you who are hurting, or having followed Holi's story, is that you will each have a moment when you find something that makes you laugh and laugh and be so happy your little furry friend, or friends, were a part of your life. In my belief system, Holi and my other two still are a part of my life. I have no doubts about seeing them again when I die.

When that day comes, we'll see if Holi is still wants to be the boss. I'm sure she will, so better stated, we'll see if it's as important to her as it once was. It's as if she knew she had limited time, so she had to direct all of us of how to get the most of our time with her. I look forward to the day when she can run as far as she wants and play her silly games without limitations.

Thank you all more than I can ever express, for helping me during a really trying time, which essentially has felt like experiencing Holi dying a second time. I hope I can help others heal the way so many of you have helped me.

MSR

Last edited by Mtn. States Resident; 10-16-2009 at 02:16 PM..

Old 10-16-2009, 08:10 PM

1,094 posts, read 1,114,319 times
My friend, all I can give you is a hug. You've been through a lot. I am glad we helped in our cypber ways. Be sure that someone will always be here for you, MSR. And I am sure that Holi wants it that way. Take care.

Old 10-16-2009, 10:11 PM

1,463 posts, read 4,300,546 times
Good way of stating it MTn States. We're here to help and it sounds like you've not had an easy road. Best of hope and wishes to you!

Old 10-17-2009, 07:17 PM

2,807 posts, read 7,550,798 times
MSR, I'm so sorry you've been through so much pain & loss...I truly hope the coming years will be full of light, love, grace & beauty as well as good health all around...you deserve all these things. (((hugs)))

Old 10-20-2009, 12:09 AM

Thumbs up Thank You!

Thank you 3chidogs, chaseystarz, and luvmycat for your extremely kind and empathetic comments. They do help me!

I'm sure you will also help others, should they read them.

I wish for everyone who has tried to offer words of comfort or support for others here, blessings in their life. Often, when we try to help others we seem to be blessed or receive things we never thought would come to us.

Thanks my friends for helping me one more time.

MSR
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Rainbow Bridge