Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Rainbow Bridge
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2009, 11:18 PM

354 posts, read 1,279,308 times

Advertisements

I am familiar with your experience it being 6 months now since Peri slipped away during the night. There is no comfort to erase the sense of loss, the doubts and unfounded guilt that you should have done something that could have kept her with you today. I wish you and her three puppy pals the best and the comfort of talking about her and what a great dog she was with your rescue friends who knew her and can recall some stories to share.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2009, 01:58 PM

26,142 posts, read 31,136,977 times
I found your words comforting, gracious and kind and printed all of them off and burried them with her - something from people who understand all too well the tremendous love of a dog and the tremendous sadness of their loss.

This, a song for all of us who have had a beloved pet pass.

YouTube - Peter Gabriel - I Grieve

Old 10-28-2009, 02:05 PM

17,330 posts, read 32,944,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday007 View Post
I found your words comforting, gracious and kind and printed all of them off and burried them with her - something from people who understand all too well the tremendous love of a dog and the tremendous sadness of their loss.

Wow! We are all part of such a wonderful community, aren't we? There in the good times as well as the awful times.

I do hope that you're feeling a bit better today. And tomorrow, still better. Sydney is always "there" with you, you know.

Touching song...

Old 10-28-2009, 04:54 PM

1,105 posts, read 1,123,797 times
I would love to listen to that song, but I am not at a place where I can do that yet. My little treasure's pictures are still hidden away and it has been almost a year.

Old 10-28-2009, 04:58 PM

10,662 posts, read 9,299,703 times
I'm sorry to read that. I lost my beloved dog 6 years ago and still miss him a lot, so I understand how you feel. *hugs*

Old 10-28-2009, 05:45 PM

1,930 posts, read 10,162,368 times
Quote:
She was my best friend, confidant and go-to gal. Her friendship proved most reliable for the past 11 years. Not a day passed in which I did not tell her I loved her.

But Saturday night, something seemed off , her eyes larger and bluer, seemingly disoriented. I let her up on the bed with me and as it was beyond vet hours I went to call one of my friends in the rescue organization...before I could dial a number she simply exhaled and died in my arms.

She was an 11 year old Shar-pei, not known for their longevity, and her three puppy pals are fine.

I could tell you a million reasons and ways I loved her, but as a human I could also tell you a million ways I could have done her better. As I sat there looking at her wrapped in a blanket, I searched my heart for the ever unanswered and unknown WHY?! WHY!? WHY!? as I screamed and cursed God for this awful act - as many others who have experienced loss.

I taught her how to fetch, to crawl across the floor on her belly, even bring a towel to wipe her muzzle and a host of other things.

What she taught me however, was much more valuable and simple - she taught me how to love in a way no human could. She gave me laughter when I needed it and hope when I needed it.

The reality is I knew she would pass before me and through all this hurt, ache and tremendous flow of tears, I still wouldn't trade it for a day without her. In an article I once read a psychologist pointed out that a person may grieve more for the loss of a pet than a human due in part because the pet is totally and completely dependant upon them for everything and a person feels a deeper sense of blame or responsibility when the pet dies. I am awash with that feeling.

I posted the following some backwood thread ago and I am reposting it now in Sydney's honor and for those who have recently lost a beloved pet and for those who still can appreciate their companion's love and attention.

Things I Learned From My Dog:

1. Never pass up the opportunity to go for a joyride.
  2. Allow the experience of fresh air and the wind in your face to be pure ecstasy.
  3. When loved ones come home, always run to greet them.
  4. When it's in your best interest, practice obedience.
  5. Let others know when they've invaded your territory.
  6. Take naps often and stretch before rising.
  7. Run, romp and play daily.
  8. Eat with gusto and enthusiasm.
  9. Be loyal.
  10. Never pretend to be something you're not.
  11. If what you want lies buried, dig until you find it.
  12. When someone is having a bad day, be silent, sit close by and nuzzle them gently.
  13. Thrive on attention and let people touch you.
  14. Avoid biting when a simple growl will do.
  15. On hot days, drink lots of water and lay under a shady tree.
  16. When you're happy, dance around and wag your entire body.
  17. No matter how often you're scolded, don't buy into the guilt thing or pout. Run right back and make friends.
  18. Bond with your pack.
  19. Delight in the simple joy of a long walk.
Wow! I cried all the way through that! First, I have to say that I am so sorry for your loss! I know now that losing a pet is such a hard thing, I still don't even have words for the pain that I went through losing my Brooklyn! Besides my husband, he was the love of my life. I don't want to go through the story right now for 2 reasons, first and foremost, this thread is about the loss of your fur-baby and the pain that you're going through, and 2nd, I just can't go through all of that again (my story). But, if you didn't read my post about losing Brooklyn, and if you want to read it so that what I'm about to say makes some since, here it is.. //www.city-data.com/forum/dogs/...artbroken.html

So yeah, I know how hard it is to lose a pet. My best friend lost her father around the same time we lost Brooklyn. He killed himself on Valentines day, so not only was it completely unexpected, but she didn't have any answers, nothing to explain it. She was daddy's little girl too. I can't even put into words how hard that was for her, and how hard that was for me to see her go through that and know that I couldn't take that pain from her. However, she is a very strong person, she can now talk about it and not cry, she is taking care of her mother and herself now and is starting to move on. As much as you can move on from that anyway. I must just be a really weak person or something. I have always considered myself a strong person, in my short 22 years of life I have gone through, and beat, a horrible addiction, I have lost close friends and family members, I have gone through horrible family problems (for lack of a better word).. and the list goes on and on.. but losing Brooklyn was like ripping my heart out! It feels like this huge piece of me is just gone, like I'll never get it back. Still to this day, months after losing Brooklyn, I can't think about him, talk about him, see a picture of him, anything, without crying until I'm sick! I'm scared to go to sleep most nights because if I don't fall asleep right away (which I normally don't) my mind will start to wander and I'll always end up thinking about Brooklyn. And then I end up crying, having a panic attack (I have really bad anxiety), getting physically sick because of my guilt, feeling like I'm having a heart attack because of my anxiety, etc.

Anyway, a lot of what you said touched me, I can really relate to a lot of it.

Quote:
I could tell you a million reasons and ways I loved her, but as a human I could also tell you a million ways I could have done her better.
I can't even count home many things I think of every single day that I could have and should have done differently, that I could have and should have changed! The fact that Brooklyn is no longer with us is painful enough, but at this point it's my guilt that is still eating me alive!
Quote:
In an article I once read a psychologist pointed out that a person may grieve more for the loss of a pet than a human due in part because the pet is totally and completely dependant upon them for everything and a person feels a deeper sense of blame or responsibility when the pet dies.
Again, same thing. At this point, the guilt is the worst. I am starting to be able to remember all of the wonderful things about Brooklyn without getting too upset, but I absolutely cannot think about what he went through those last days! Just knowing how scared he had to of been, how abandoned he felt, it kills me! And it's all my fault, 110%! I just feel like the worst person on earth, like I wasn't deserving of the time I got with him. He was the best dog anyone could ever ask for! I can't tell you how many times he saved my life everyday, and I couldn't do the same for him! My best friend, who knew Brooklyn just about as well as I did, and loved him too, is always telling me that I can't keep beating myself up, that I was a wonderful, loving owner and that I couldn't have know that would happen. But, I can't stop beating myself up over it, and I don't think I'll ever be able to.

And this list really touched me..

Quote:
  1. Never pass up the opportunity to go for a joyride.
  2. Allow the experience of fresh air and the wind in your face to be pure ecstasy.
  3. When loved ones come home, always run to greet them.
  4. When it's in your best interest, practice obedience.
  5. Let others know when they've invaded your territory.
  6. Take naps often and stretch before rising.
  7. Run, romp and play daily.
  8. Eat with gusto and enthusiasm.
  9. Be loyal.
  10. Never pretend to be something you're not.
  11. If what you want lies buried, dig until you find it.
  12. When someone is having a bad day, be silent, sit close by and nuzzle them gently.
  13. Thrive on attention and let people touch you.
  14. Avoid biting when a simple growl will do.
  15. On hot days, drink lots of water and lay under a shady tree.
  16. When you're happy, dance around and wag your entire body.
  17. No matter how often you're scolded, don't buy into the guilt thing or pout. Run right back and make friends.
  18. Bond with your pack.
  19. Delight in the simple joy of a long walk.
I think I might sit down and come up with a list of all of the wonderful things Brooklyn taught me in the short time that I was blessed to be able to spend with him. He was my heart, and losing him really was like losing my heart. I won't be able to come up with a list like that any time soon, but hopefully one day I'll be able to. Hopefully one day I'll heal enough to be able to look back and remember all of the wonderful thing about him.

Anyway, I already typed too much, sorry about that. But again, I am so sorry for your loss, and I will definitely keep you in my prayers.

Old 10-29-2009, 07:24 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,461,411 times
I'm so sorry for your loss. I can feel your hurt and pain in your words and it makes me remember the loss of my beloved Casper. His slow death dragged on forever; perhaps it is a blessing to Sydney that her passing was quick and painless. I think guilt comes right along with any death; yes, I replayed over and over in my mind the things I could have done differently. Please don't place any blame on yourself; it sounds like you gave her a very good life; better than most. I hope you will find some peace with her death. I know it's a cliche - but, in time, you will find yourself remembering the good times instead of her death and the 'what I should have done, could have done.. . . . . etc. God is merciful and time will help heal your hurt.

Old 10-29-2009, 06:56 PM

1,930 posts, read 10,162,368 times
Quote:

I tried watching the video you posted, but I just can't. Hopefully soon I'll be able to. I can't even watch the Humane Society commercials, that's how big of a baby I am!

Old 10-30-2009, 06:45 AM

8,440 posts, read 13,403,755 times
Smile Remembering Sydney.......

Quote:

Thursday007,

First, let me tell you again how sorry I am you lost Sydney so suddenly. What an honor for her to be in your arms the last moments of her life. She made that transition, which is so hard on us, while lying in your arms. How reassuring and comforting that must have been for her. I hope you can look upon that time and realize those as bonus minutes with your dear one.

As you know, I first posted about your news in a different thread. I'm so sorry, I had read part of this thread about Sydney, but somehow read something incorrectly about when you lost her. It was via the other thread we made contact. Thank you for taking time to write my a note during your own time of suffering. I think it is such a tribute to those who post here, let alone Sydney, that you printed so many of the notes and good wishes from others here and buried them with her. What a wonderful idea.

If you ever feel up to it, I'd love it if you'd add the Peter Gabriel song to the thread about Music Can Be Healing, under the Rainbow Bridge thread. I was surprised to see three new songs, in the other forum, about people losing their pets. One was about a horse.

I regret not posting here first, especially because I'd read the list of how Sydney changed your life. But, I trust there is a reason things happen the way they do. I know other people are grieving over lost furry friends and other. Maybe some of those, who post in the other thread that where we do too, needed to read what I wrote, or needed to know that section and the Rainbow Brdge are available should they ever need them.

Take good care of yourself and know as another who writes here said to me, we're always here for you. And also thank you for adding more music those who have lost a 4 legged furry family friend/member can listen to as well. Music can help heal, as healing is a process.

Remember Sydney's trusting eyes and how she felt in your arms. Somehow, I just know that being in your arms helped make this as transition a little easier for her. She may have been very frightened had she been alone. Thanks to you, she wasn't.

Sending Cyberhugs across the miles......

MSR

Old 10-30-2009, 08:25 AM

5,715 posts, read 15,027,395 times
So sorry for your loss. She was a very lucky dog to have you as her human.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Rainbow Bridge