Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Rainbow Bridge
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2009, 06:59 PM

3,513 posts, read 6,375,193 times

Advertisements

Today I has to say farewell to Orion, a goofy, lovable big black lab/great dane mix that I adopted in July 2006 from a pound that still used the gas chamber and he was about 2 hours away from death when I got him.

Last Thursday he started in with a sort of cough/retch thing that didn't sound too awful so I figured I'd give it a day or two and see what developed. It didn't get any worse by morning and so I waited. My Humane Society had two big adoption events, one Sat. at Petsmart and one Sunday at a local winery. We had more than a dozen dogs and puppies at each and as usual not enough people to handle them all. So it was 2 long, tiring days.

On Monday I spent the day taking it easy and all the dogs did the same. I decided it was time to get O-dog to the vet and made an appointment for the next day. By the morning he was doing poorly, ate and threw it all right up. About 10 days ago I decided that he seemed to be loosing some weight and so began adding some other things to his kibble. Because his right hip and right knee are both bad I try to keep his weight just right. He's continued to lose muscle mass in the leg and it was getting weaker and he was having a bit of trouble walking.

The vet took some chest x-rays and there was the awful news. His lungs were full of nodules, some of them with dark centers suggesting that they had dead tissue and were necrotic. I let them keep him overnight while I debated whether or not to run any more tests or take him to the vet school at Virginia Tech.

I went back to the hospital today and we took him outside for a last few minutes to enjoy the grass and sunshine. Brought him home afterward hoping to bury him across the creek up on the ridge top with Sam and Sandy two other old dogs who spent their final year with me but access was almost impossible and so he is in the pasture just beyond the back yard fence.

The sense of loss is different with a dog that was old when I took him in and knew that we would only have a short time together. A heart as big as Texas, a brain perhaps the size of Rhode Island but sweet as can be.

Farewell sweet friend you brought joy and laughter into my life and I was blessed to have the pleasure of your company these past few years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2009, 08:43 PM

2,029 posts, read 4,037,589 times
I'm so sorry for your loss.

Old 09-16-2009, 08:55 PM

1,828 posts, read 3,789,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zugor View Post
Today I has to say farewell to Orion, a goofy, lovable big black lab/great dane mix that I adopted in July 2006 from a pound that still used the gas chamber and he was about 2 hours away from death when I got him.

Last Thursday he started in with a sort of cough/retch thing that didn't sound too awful so I figured I'd give it a day or two and see what developed. It didn't get any worse by morning and so I waited. My Humane Society had two big adoption events, one Sat. at Petsmart and one Sunday at a local winery. We had more than a dozen dogs and puppies at each and as usual not enough people to handle them all. So it was 2 long, tiring days.

On Monday I spent the day taking it easy and all the dogs did the same. I decided it was time to get O-dog to the vet and made an appointment for the next day. By the morning he was doing poorly, ate and threw it all right up. About 10 days ago I decided that he seemed to be loosing some weight and so began adding some other things to his kibble. Because his right hip and right knee are both bad I try to keep his weight just right. He's continued to lose muscle mass in the leg and it was getting weaker and he was having a bit of trouble walking.

The vet took some chest x-rays and there was the awful news. His lungs were full of nodules, some of them with dark centers suggesting that they had dead tissue and were necrotic. I let them keep him overnight while I debated whether or not to run any more tests or take him to the vet school at Virginia Tech.

I went back to the hospital today and we took him outside for a last few minutes to enjoy the grass and sunshine. Brought him home afterward hoping to bury him across the creek up on the ridge top with Sam and Sandy two other old dogs who spent their final year with me but access was almost impossible and so he is in the pasture just beyond the back yard fence.

The sense of loss is different with a dog that was old when I took him in and knew that we would only have a short time together. A heart as big as Texas, a brain perhaps the size of Rhode Island but sweet as can be.

Farewell sweet friend you brought joy and laughter into my life and I was blessed to have the pleasure of your company these past few years.
God bless you for your love and Kindness. Someday, you will see Orion and your other animal friends in Heaven. Please let this console you in this time of sadness.

Old 09-16-2009, 10:42 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,814,714 times
Oh, so sorry for your loss. Sounds like you gave him a great life - and death - which is all any of us can ask. He's happy and healthy now. Take care of yourself...

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 09-16-2009, 10:45 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,126,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zugor View Post

It always hurts to lose someone you love. My condolences.

20yrsinBranson

Old 09-17-2009, 03:14 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,015,431 times
How fortunate that you and Orion found each other and enjoyed that time together.
I am so sorry for your loss.

Old 09-17-2009, 04:11 AM

12,054 posts, read 23,343,362 times
I am so sorry for your loss of Orion. You saved his life and had a few wonderful years together. Special thoughts coming your way.

Old 09-17-2009, 05:17 AM

2,175 posts, read 9,169,058 times
It never gets any easier.
No matter how many times you have to experience it.
I have had to put down several furry friends over the years and know what you are feeling.
The last time was just a few months ago when we had Ginger put down. She was 14 years old and was born in our house.
I guess that is the cost of being a pet lover. But with the pain of losing them, it is still worth the years of companionship and being loved by them.
Thank you for being the kind of person that takes in even older pets to give love and care for whatever time they have left.
I'm sorry you lost Orion long before his expected time.
But you saved him from early death to enjoy a life of happiness and love for as long as he was here. You gave him happy years.
Thats all you can do.
My thoughts are with you.

Old 09-17-2009, 05:38 AM

48,117 posts, read 21,997,640 times
Zugor......you are the best......I am so glad that Orion found you....and that you were able to help him in his times of need. So hard to let go.....but there is peace.

Old 09-17-2009, 06:41 AM

809 posts, read 163,393 times
I am sorry for your loss. Your love for animals is very obvious, and for that I THANK YOU! You gave Orion a chance to live, and he gave you some great memories. That, my friend, can never be taken from you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Rainbow Bridge