Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Rainbow Bridge
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2009, 12:02 PM

3,748 posts, read 12,399,426 times

Advertisements

I've just returned from the vet and giving my Bandit the final act of kindness I could do for him. We rescued Bandit from a puppy mill operation over 7 1/2 years ago where he had been used and abused as a stud dog for the 1st part of his life. Fearful and wary, filthy and bearing the scars of the hell he had lived through, we were told if we didn't take him, he was to be euthanized the next day. It was by chance that this remarkable dog entered our lives that day. From that day forward he fully gave us his trust to help him to heal in body and spirit. For all he had gone through, no animal has ever exuded more of an air of acceptance of life. We called him The Philosopher. Gentle, steady and calm, he would lay, front paws crossed, observing the chaos of life as it went on around him. One of his greatest joys was to lay in a sunny spot on the grass, his nose pointed into the wind and just enjoy the sounds, sights and smells of the day. Then at days end, curled up on his dog bed he would fall asleep. Always with his favorite stuffed toy tucked between his paws. So it remained during our time together. There are so many stories, so much I could say about this very special dog. He was the most giving and the least demanding of all my animals. Up until this last week. At 14 1/2 years old his frail body finally began to fail him. This morning as I tried to help him to rise off his dog bed I knew that his back legs had finally given out on him. He gave me the look, one that said it was time, that he was ready to leave us and this life. My darling Bandit, so calm and steady in life, left me today the same way. Quietly and without any drama, he slipped away as I cradled him in my arms. Goodbye my noble Bandit and thank you for all the lessons you have taught me. I will be with you again when my time here is through.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2009, 12:25 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,403,111 times
I read this a short time ago...but had to compose myself before I could type. I know all to well your pain. My heart is just aching for you and your family. Take solace, Bandit shared his love and life with you, as you did with him. What a way to go...knowing you have been loved and cherished for the last 7 1/2 yrs. Bandit sounds as tho he was a magnicficent companion....Lucky you...lucky him...RIP Bandit. ((Hugs))

Old 11-02-2009, 12:35 PM

26,142 posts, read 31,174,569 times
That has to be the hardest thing to do. I once worked for a vet, but had to quit because I couldn't handle putting the dogs to sleep when they needed to be. I would go home every night in tears. My heart goes out to you and Bandit.

Bandit was a rescue puppy and you came together when he needed you and I believe in my heart he knew it was time for you to reach out and do the same for another rescue. He had recieved and given much love - but now there is someone else out there that needs it even more and he knows that.

Old 11-02-2009, 12:45 PM

1,463 posts, read 4,323,784 times
I am terribly sorry for your loss. My thoughts and prayers are with you. Bless the time you had together!

Old 11-02-2009, 12:48 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,020,443 times
a peaceful and dignified end to a wonderful second half.....knowing only love and kindness...... would that we all could have that......his trust and peace and contentment with you are a testament to you and yours as well...... RIP sweet bandit........

Last edited by latetotheparty; 11-02-2009 at 12:57 PM..

Old 11-02-2009, 01:54 PM

549 posts, read 2,204,778 times
VA-Cat, I truly feel your intense sadness and loss. You blessed Bandit with giving him a loving and caring life, and clearly rescued him from imminent death. His blessings to you in return, was loyalty and devotion. Your lives have been forever meshed, and his memories will allow his spirit to live in, within your heart and thoughts. You did indeed, selflessly give him a loving and peaceful way to leave and travel across that rainbow bridge.

I just faced the same with my beloved Blueberry....and as much as it hurts, and as much as I miss her, I'm thankful for the time we had to together and for how wonderful she made my life with her. I'm sure you feel the same about Bandit.

Bless you for rescuing him, for giving him such a great life together and for giving him a loving way to leave. My prayers and thoughts are with you.

Old 11-02-2009, 03:08 PM
bjh

60,055 posts, read 30,365,591 times
I'm sorry you lost your friend. Thanks for rescuing him and giving him a life with a happy ending! Though it's hard to think of it that way, maybe, right after putting him down. That's what you did, gave him a good life until the inevitable end.

Old 11-02-2009, 04:11 PM

386 posts, read 1,363,475 times
All your friends here on the boards send our love and support to you and your family. Thank you for giving Bandit a wonderul life and for having the courage to help him rest in peace.

Old 11-02-2009, 06:36 PM

5,296 posts, read 7,233,318 times
So precious, reminds alot of Phoenix who we lost last summer, we had her from the beginning as a Pup, had cancer twice, was always so good about everything and in the end let us know when she was tired of it all.

Sending lots of {{HUGS}}

Old 11-02-2009, 07:21 PM

11,027 posts, read 6,501,184 times
I don't know you, but I'm shedding tears for your loss as I type this. My warm thoughts are with you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Rainbow Bridge