Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Rainbow Bridge
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2009, 03:38 PM

1,280 posts, read 6,977,263 times

Advertisements

I'd like to write pages and pages about Sam. She was an extraordinary dog with an extraordinary owner. And no, that owner was not me. I was just her vet tech. While her owners and the veterinarians did all the work, I was the one who rubbed her ears while she was getting her treatments and tossed her treats to her so she wouldn't accidentally bite my fingers, though she was nothing but skin and bones at the end she never lost her enthusiasm for treats! Sam was seeing the cardiologists here long before I was hired. She was never supposed to live as long as she did. She beat all the odds. She helped teach countless vet students who will go on to make other pets' lives better because of her. I can't take a day off of work or call my friends sobbing at her loss. She wasn't my pet, she was 'just' a patient. But I do mourn her all the same. Rest in peace, sweet Sam.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2009, 04:35 PM

2,029 posts, read 4,036,467 times
RIP Sam. Sounds like a very special dog. If you'd like to write more about Sam there is a tribute section on the Rainbow Bridge web site. You sound like a very caring person and I'm sure a tribute would be appreciated by the owners.

Just so there is no confusion, It's a different site from CD. On Monday night's they have a candle lighting ceremony for animals that have crossed the bridge.

Old 11-20-2009, 05:48 PM

5,296 posts, read 7,233,802 times
So sweet of you to write a tribute. I was a Vet asst. for 8 years, sometimes I write about my own experiences with our Pets but often add they/the problems were no stranger to me having worked in an Animal Hospital, yet when it is our Pets it is different and I was always a wreck.
In the blur of it all I think the employees do get forgotten sometimes. I know from experience, it's not always easy yet very rewarding(actually I ended up on rescue with an Ambulance squad, much the same really)

Next time people visit the Vet or even their Dr. it never hurts to ask them how they are doing.
Once I asked my Dr. how he was doing...he smiled and said *no patient had ever asked him that before.

(yes we workers have feelings and do care)

Sam sounds like a real Trooper, much like our Dobie we lost last summer.

Old 11-21-2009, 04:28 AM

549 posts, read 2,204,886 times
That's indeed, a very sweet and loving tribute...you clearly love your work and the pets you help care for. My prayers go out to you (and Sams owners) for comfort at his passing. He sounds like a real trooper and your care for him is very moving. God bless!

Old 11-21-2009, 06:12 AM

1,501 posts, read 5,679,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerz View Post
So sweet of you to write a tribute.
Next time people visit the Vet or even their Dr. it never hurts to ask them how they are doing.
Once I asked my Dr. how he was doing...he smiled and said *no patient had ever asked him that before.

(yes we workers have feelings and do care)
]
Here here! From a pre-teen, to somebody in their 40s, always hugged our Dr. M -- he and his two Angel Assistants = Angels indeed. Never let them forget how wonderful they are -- even when they had to do the final deed(s) for us. Having had them all those years made it somehow easier (peace of mind.)

One year, didn't wait for Christmas to spontaneously deliver a gift -- best day ever.

Old 11-21-2009, 07:55 AM
bjh

60,055 posts, read 30,368,879 times
I'm sorry you lost a pet who was a friend even though you weren't the owner.

I hope my pets' vet techs care half as much!

Old 11-21-2009, 02:26 PM

1,116 posts, read 1,131,769 times
You sound like a vet tech worth a million bucks! Your lovely message about Sam was very touching. I wish you'd been there when we lost our Nugget. The tech at the emergency clinic cared more about making sure we paid the big bucks for treatment than the fact our dog was dying in front of him. You keep up the good word, toss treats to those patients of yours. Your kindness gives them strength, and that helps the pet's humans too. Take care.

Old 11-23-2009, 08:01 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,021,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kansas sky View Post
I'd like to write pages and pages about Sam. She was an extraordinary dog with an extraordinary owner. And no, that owner was not me. I was just her vet tech. While her owners and the veterinarians did all the work, I was the one who rubbed her ears while she was getting her treatments and tossed her treats to her so she wouldn't accidentally bite my fingers, though she was nothing but skin and bones at the end she never lost her enthusiasm for treats! Sam was seeing the cardiologists here long before I was hired. She was never supposed to live as long as she did. She beat all the odds. She helped teach countless vet students who will go on to make other pets' lives better because of her. I can't take a day off of work or call my friends sobbing at her loss. She wasn't my pet, she was 'just' a patient. But I do mourn her all the same. Rest in peace, sweet Sam.
bless you for your kind and caring heart..... i remember when i lost my 18 y/o skrappy cat to kidney failure resulting from overactive thyroid ..... the vet and her staff could not have been kinder or more caring or more sympathetic during the 3-1/2 days she spent in kitty ICU....i was in and out of there all day long during that time...... the vet even took her home at night to give fluids at necessary intervals and was in tears when she called me to tell me she had gone...... i was on my way there for the first of my visits for that day and we ended up comforting each other.......

i know that being a professional care-giver, you must maintain some sort of detachment...... but there will always come one that touches your heart in a special way..... that makes you a caring, feeling human being.... i admire you and others that are like you........

Old 11-23-2009, 11:52 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,312,432 times
Kansas Sky, you are such a dear and loving person. Thank you for taking such good care of Sam.

Old 11-24-2009, 07:53 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,405,672 times
RIP Sam. Here's hoping for unlimited doggie treats over the Bridge! Kudos to you KS for caring so! Virtual hugs!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Rainbow Bridge