Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Rainbow Bridge
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2009, 06:27 PM

24,404 posts, read 23,056,554 times

Advertisements

I will lose my pet guinea pig tonight, he's not doing well at all. He's on his side and crying out in pain every now and again and I can't do much for him besides clean his eyes. I said a prayer for him to let him go quickly and without suffering. I noticed he wasn't eating this morning or moving around but yesterday he was fine and eating some vitamin C treats I had just got him. He is pretty old for a guinea pig, at least 6 years old. He was getting thin and stiff but I had hoped he'd hang on for a while.
Its just sad to see a creature suffer slowly and die like that. I've had other guinea pigs die and it always seemed to be sudden even if they were old.
He was a fine boy. He didn't purr for me for a long time but he did the last two years or so. He liked to have his throat scratched and did purr when I petted him. And he did call to me and oink and squeal when I came home in the morning and I always gave him some grass or dandelion.
May his little spirit find peace and contentment and may he join the other guineas we've had over the years wherever they go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2009, 09:41 AM

1,463 posts, read 4,325,859 times
Icy tea I am so sorry for your loss.

I had a Guinea Pig when I was four. It had been my sisters and she went off to college. So I got the care of a pet. Mine had the same problems yours just went though.

They are great friends and I always will remember that and I hope you do too.

My thoughts and prays are with you.

Old 11-24-2009, 09:44 AM

5,296 posts, read 7,235,512 times
So sad to hear, HUGS.

Old 11-24-2009, 09:57 AM

24,404 posts, read 23,056,554 times
He died shortly after I looked in on him the last time and made that post. Thanks for your kind thoughts, everybody. I buried him this morning in the backyard near where our dogs are also buried so he'll be looked after. There's at least a half dozen other little guys and gals buried around out there not to mention some birds.
Now I want to wait before getting another one but always debate this with myself. Do you buy one in a pet store( usually too high priced if its a chain store) or adopt one through a rescue organization ? I've done both. I got the greatest little guy I ever had from a rescue, almost too smart to be a guinea pig. But I've got some really handsome guys and gals from pet stores also. And I wonder if pet store piggies end up in rescues if nobody buys them. On the other hand, you're giving one a good home no matter where it comes from. What does everybody think on this? I'd appreciate any input.
Thanks.

Old 11-24-2009, 03:10 PM
bjh

60,079 posts, read 30,382,128 times
Sorry you lost your friend.

Old 11-24-2009, 04:09 PM

1,116 posts, read 1,132,930 times
You have my sympathy on the loss of your guinea pig buddie. They are certainly cute little guys/gals. So far as where to get them, I wouldn't know. I would probably recommend a rescue as it just seems like the thing to do. I've always wondered what happens to the pets that don't get sold in pet stores, but I am too scared to ask anyone. Good luck.

Old 11-24-2009, 04:14 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,121,426 times
Aww, you have my sympathy. I never had a guinea pig but think they are awfully cute! I'm sure he is at peace now.

I would get one from a rescue. All my babies I have were rescued or adopted. There are so many creatures that need help, I wish I could help them all.

Old 11-24-2009, 06:33 PM

549 posts, read 2,205,372 times
Your prayers were answered and your little friend is now in a glorious place where he's forever healthy, happy and filled with love. My heart aches for your loss and I pray that you find comfort in knowing that you did all you could and gave your friend a wonderful life while here. Guinea pigs are so cool, I had one when I was young and she was the greatest. Be blessed

Old 11-25-2009, 12:06 PM

1,463 posts, read 4,325,859 times
I'd get a resuce! They need excellent homes. Plus, you've got past experience.

Best of hope to you!

Old 11-25-2009, 03:28 PM

8,440 posts, read 13,436,015 times
Smile He knew he was loved....

I'm so sorry for your loss, Icy Tea.

Your special boy knew he was loved. What a tribute to both of you to have that love. Unfortunately, as we all know, not all fur babies are blessed with human companions who love as much as you.

Love is a gift. For many of us, we show that love most easily and naturally with animals...

I hope you will find comfort here from other comments posted. Mostly, I hope you will find peace in your heart/soul of where your dear little friend is now.

Sending you hugs across the miles...........

MSR
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Rainbow Bridge