U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Rainbow Bridge
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 12:59 PM

2,406 posts, read 5,854,788 times

Advertisements

I just can't believe it happened.
Our beloved Schev died yesterday.
He almost made it to 11 years of age. The most beautiful Rottweiler you have ever seen.
We rescued him at age 1-1/2 years old.
His nick name was Gentle Ben. He was a big boned boy 118# at his max. He weighed around 105# getting smaller as he aged.
ALWAYS healthy...ALWAYS happy. He got along with all of our Rotty rescues & 1 Bloodhound rescue over the years. Never a growl or snarl out of him.
Sad thing was...he never played with a ball... or a stuffed animal, not any toy. He never played with any of our dogs and never played with humans. That's the way he always was.
His favorite thing in the world is all he wanted was to be loved. He got plenty of love, we made sure of that.

He was fine...healthy...and just started to breathe a little odd a couple days ago. He coughed a few times, but we figured he had a fur ball in his throat. He always licked his feet. Always did do that.
He ate his dinner Sunday AM & PM meal he ate slower, but he ate it all.
All the dogs ate the same food.

Sat. night at midnight he woke me up. I could hear him breathing odd again. I had just brought hubby home from a hospital visit a few days & he was exhausted. So i didn't wake him up.
I called my very best GF at 5AM, she is a vet tech. Talked to her & she said to call the emerg. animal hospital, and I did. I told them we woild be bringing him in a couple hours. It takes us an hour just to drive there.
I knew it was too late. He wasn't responding to me, and I was his everything (that I'm proud to say).He wasn't panting like a normal dog would. It was a labored breath. By the time we got to the eah,, I knew we would have to put him down.
3 techs & vet came out to get him with a stretcher. He also had urinated on himself, which he never would of done.
He was dehydrated & they had one very hard time getting a vein on him. So much so...they had to hold the needle in his vein while I lay on the floor telling him for the millionth time how much we love him & he was the best dog ever. He really was the best.
We have had... and rescued many, many, many Rottweilers usually had 4 at a time. They have all died of cancer and one of parvo.
We think he must of had lung cancer, but we really don't know forsure.

Our other Rotts are beside themself today. They walk around lost, like I have been. If he had been sick or at least showed signs of being sick this would of been easier to understand.

The original owner I keep in touch with. She will be shocked to say the least. She isn't a well older woman. I'm not telling her, unless she were to call & and ask about him.Then I will have to.

I am just sick about this. we will rescue another Rott. Just not sure when...when were ready. We need to grieve.
There isn't another Rotty than can ever replace our boy. We will rescue another one... but we and the other Rotts need some time.

I'm so sorry for all of you that have lost your beloved dog/cat/pet. I really do know what your going thru.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2010, 01:07 PM

12,054 posts, read 21,734,926 times
I am very sorry to hear of the loss of Schev. Hugs to you as you go through this heart-breaking time.

Old 02-01-2010, 01:27 PM

Location: Pittsburgh--Home of the 6 time Super Bowl Champions!
11,310 posts, read 11,716,629 times
So sorry about your loss. Hugs to you. I just can't imagine that day for me.

Old 02-01-2010, 01:28 PM

10,091 posts, read 39,767,075 times
I am so sorry. I just wish I could reach through the screen and give you a big hug. RIP Schev....I know how your heart just aches.

Old 02-01-2010, 03:49 PM

9,353 posts, read 18,575,972 times
so sorry to hear of your loss.... i know how much each of those sillypups means to you...... my heart aches for your pain..... but know that you gave him a GREAT life, filled with love and security and comfort and happiness..... thats a pretty good thing, in my book......((((HUGGZ)))))

Old 02-01-2010, 05:19 PM
bjh

42,537 posts, read 26,610,636 times
I'm sorry you lost your dog. So glad you rescued him and gave him a home all those years ago.

Old 02-02-2010, 01:28 PM

1,463 posts, read 3,935,818 times
I am deeply sorry for your loss. When I was 12 I lost a very loving Rotty to a twisted bladder. I wish the best for you at this time...

Old 02-02-2010, 01:48 PM

2,806 posts, read 7,064,369 times
I'm so sorry for your loss...it's so hard when they get sick that suddenly, you don't have time to prepare yourself for it...(not that it's easy even if you do have that time...) thank you for rescuing and for the huge amount of love in your heart...your dogs are so lucky to have you!!!

Old 02-02-2010, 02:09 PM

17,330 posts, read 30,057,878 times
By the time I got part way through your post, I was crying. I'm crying for you now, I really am. I'm so SO sorry for your loss. I know how much you love your pups and how devastating this must be.

As I said to you on the dog forum: Cherish your memories.

((more hugs))

Old 02-02-2010, 02:14 PM

3,039 posts, read 5,569,998 times
I'm so sorry Sillypups...it's devestating, and I don't even know if time heals this kind of pain. I still feel it after 9 years. Condolences and warm hugs to you, take care of yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Rainbow Bridge