U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Rainbow Bridge
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 08:36 AM

1 posts, read 1,477 times

Advertisements

I am 16 years old. Yesterday morning, my dog Edgar passed away. It was so unexpected because until his last moments, he was the liveliest and happiest dogs I had ever known. We tried rushing him to a hospital after he collapsed but it was too late. Watching him die was the most traumatic yet beautiful things I have ever had to witness. He kind of just went to sleep in my arms. I hope that my family's and my presence during his last moments made him feel a little more comfort and at ease. My family and I are devastated. There is a void in our lives that we cant seem to fill. We have cried endlessly and we are experiencing a roller coaster of emotions. At times we try to look back on the good memories, but that sometimes seems to make us miss him that much more. He enriched our lives so much that his absence has left a huge hole in our hearts, minds, and home. Whenever we have moments alone or are in the house, it hurts so much. I try to be happy but then a wave of sadness and frustration comes and hits me like a train. I suddenly realize he's no longer there. To me, he was more of a brother than a pet. We adopted him when I was in second grade, so i dont remember a time in my life when he wasnt there. We grew up together so i feel as though I have lost a brother. I cant be in the house alone or in the house at any time for that matter because too much of the house reminds me of him. He had such a presence in the house that being in it now seems wrong. The silence is dreadful and my heart hurts soo much right now. At times, I cant even breathe from the pain, I feel short of breath. All the little things he used to do, like greeting you excitedly at the door loyally every time you walked in, or begging for the scraps of food, or letting him out back to play, no longer exist and I truly see how much of a part of my life he was. This was the worst day of my short, 16 year old life, and nothing I do helps me come to terms with what has happened. I miss him so much and it kills me that nothing I can do will bring him back. How do you deal with this pain and sadness?

Last edited by edgarbuddy; 04-06-2010 at 09:51 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2010, 03:26 PM
bjh

42,734 posts, read 26,665,590 times
I'm sorry you lost Edgar. Keep in mind the good times you enjoyed together. When you can think about getting another dog.

Old 04-06-2010, 04:59 PM

10 posts, read 25,235 times
I am so sorry. I got a good deal of solace from a chat room on the Rainbow Bridge web site. I went there for several nights. I also wrote a memorial on this web site: Pet Memorial Website. Free Online Memorial for your loved Pets..
Right now, it's still free. Good luck.

Old 04-06-2010, 05:20 PM

203 posts, read 660,857 times
This just happened to us with the loss of our pet Cadberry. I know how you feel. For the first week when I was not crying, I was replaying his last moments in my head. I really found it easier to express my feelings in writing versus talking to people because it felt like the wound was so raw when I talked about it. Grief is good because if you did not love Edgar so much it would not hurt so bad. Breathe and take one day at a time, because it will get better.

Old 04-06-2010, 06:28 PM

33,969 posts, read 20,042,947 times
I'm so sorry for the loss of you beloved Edgar. It will help to tell your story and to remember all the good times you had together. Time will help as well; your loss is very new. Surround yourself with your good friends and be very kind to yourself right now.

Being with him at the time of his passing is a beautiful gift for both of you. Although it doesn't seem like it now; it will enrich and touch your life as you move forward as Edgar would want you to do.

Peace be with you now and remember that Edgar is happy now and free of pain and is happily playing at the Rainbow Bridge.

Old 04-06-2010, 11:43 PM

354 posts, read 1,195,032 times
The 23rd of this month is the anniversary of the loss of my dog Peri. Initially nothing much helped other than staying busy with the daily business of living. The quiet times are tough and talking to people who are politely curious about the circumstances of her death and want to offer condolences was too difficult.

This is a wonderful venue for you to share your thoughts and know that so many of us have or are going through a similar experience. For my part, I will say that this forum was a very supportive place to start and eventually you will be able to talk about and remember Edgar and the good times and be thankful that when his time came you were there to comfort him.

Old 04-08-2010, 12:55 PM

1,463 posts, read 3,941,918 times
I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. I've been in your shoes before and it's a hard place to be. Take some time to mourn. Yet remember the good times with your pet and always treasure those. Surround yourself with positive ideas and good friends. And I hope you can smile at the happy memories,

Old 04-08-2010, 01:05 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,018,403 times
I understand how you feel. We had a cat that my husband would call his "son." Okay - not in public, but at home. "How's my son doing today?" "Where's my son?" and so on.

His death was unexpected and we cried for weeks. It took a few years before my husband could even say his name without sadness. We are now able to relive all the happy times without tears.

It takes time. Tears are okay. Your family sounds supportive and together, you will get through this.

Old 04-09-2010, 11:15 PM

1,928 posts, read 3,404,457 times
I was 12 when we had to have our dog Cookie put to sleep. She was there before I was born. My heart was broken and I just couldn't undersand why this had happened to my best friend. But time, as it always does, helped me. Pain and sadness gave away to good memories. A year later we got a new puppy and he helped us all smile again.

I'm 56 now and I still remember her and that new puppy we got, Barney. I still have their pictures in my photo album. The memories are good and I know I will see them again one day.

Give yourself time to heal and soon only the good memories will be in your mind and heart.

I am so sorry.

Old 04-10-2010, 01:49 PM

4,967 posts, read 11,615,214 times
Sorry to hear about Edgar. I have found The best way for me to get over the grief of a lost loved one be it a pet or a human is to talk about them and to do some sort of memorial which can be as simple as doing a beautiful photo album or a picture CD of them. At first talking about them may bring tears but soon you will find that those happy memories of them are just too strong to be denied and tears will turn to smiles and laughter. In that way Edgar will live on forever in your heart.

Having reached middle age I have loved and lost many dogs over the years. I decided to look at the loss this way. If dogs lived as long as I did I would not have known as many as I have. Each one has been special in its own way so the true loss would have been not to have known each one. To me they are like guardian angels sent to help me get through a part of my life and when they have done their job they leave and the next one takes over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Rainbow Bridge