U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Rainbow Bridge
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2010, 11:05 PM

28 posts, read 90,527 times

Advertisements

On april 8th 2010. My sweet pug named willie passed away. I have had him for over 10 years and he was about 15 years old. He honestly was the cutest sweetest nicest dog you could ever want. He snorted and cuddled and when younger would eat everything in sight. through out his life willie had been through a lot. I got him as a rescue dog from an abusive home. Over the years, he has gotten in to all sorts of puggy shenanigans. About four years ago he suffered from a stroke and miraculously a few months later not only survived but returned to his old self. As the years went on willie stopped being able to follow commands or do tricks (deaf), stopped catching his favorite treats (mostly blind due to cataracts) and slowed down a lot (due to arthritis). Despite all this he was still an amazing dog and was so full of life. It was only recently we discovered a lump on his back. Due to his old age there wasnt much we could do. We gave him antibiotics and in went down in size. However it refused to heal and in time came back in a vengeance. It didnt seem like he was any pain until a few days ago when we discovered he just wasnt himself. He was barely eating and drinking, didnt enjoy outside and the day we rushed him to the animal hospital not only could he not walk but he couldnt stand. The doc let us know that indeed his lump had grown bigger under the skin and was preventing him from walking. She also let us know that we could give him another shot of antibiotics but that she was sure we would be back in a few days. Due to my poor puggy's lethargic state and the pain he was in we had to make the excruciating decision to put him to sleep...It was absolutely horrible. One of the worse parts was that this visit to the animal hospital he seemed to have given up. He made it through an abusive home, living with my crazy cat, moving over 500 miles and then a year later returning, and a stroke that he shouldnt have recovered from.. In short he was a fighter. But this time there was no fight left in him. When they gave him the sedative i sat at his head and rubbed behind his ear. And in the first time in months he relaxed and gave out a content snort. About 2 mins after the sedative his eyes were closed and then ten mins when they gave him the final injection he was gone within 30 seconds. It truly left my husband and i heartbroken. That night my cat who has been with him for ten years was looking for him and wouldnt stop meowing. And my 2 year old child doesnt really know what happened but what would normally be the time to walk willie says dog dog dog. Willie was the most love able dog and was a huge part of my family. We will never forget him and miss him forever!
Attached Thumbnails
Rest in peace my sweet puggy-willsweater.jpg   Rest in peace my sweet puggy-04-08-10_1148.jpg   Rest in peace my sweet puggy-07-27-09_1030.jpg  
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2010, 01:29 AM

4,971 posts, read 11,645,684 times
I am so sorry for your loss. Willie sounds like he was a great dog. I think when you have a dog that has been a fighter like that it is harder to see the day they actually give up the fight as in the past they would never have done that. My Dash was a fighter too so when so when the day came that he seemed to loose that spark and give up his fight with cancer it was hard to see as in the past he fought and bounced back from any downward turns.

It sounds like Willie had a very loving home with you and knew that he was loved those 10 years with you so hopefully you can find some comfort in that and that soon memories of him will bring smiles and laughter as you recall all his silly pug ways. I have to admit I was never a pug fan until I met a couple that come to the dog park every day and got to know them, what crazy but loveable little dogs they are.I look forward to seeing them everyday now as they run over for a butt scratch and a few snorts. I can imagine the hole Willies death has left in your life. Your great memories of him will allow him to live on forever in your heart which is where we all should bury our dogs.

Old 04-11-2010, 06:10 AM

1,457 posts, read 3,790,990 times
I'm so very sorry for your loss. Willie started off with a rough life, but then you found him and gave him the best life possible. You and your family are in my thoughts. Rest in peace Willie.

Old 04-11-2010, 07:04 AM

9,353 posts, read 18,644,317 times
so sorry for your terrible loss...... willie may have had a rough start, but his life with you was filled with love and comfort and happiness...... and his end was peaceful and dignified and loving ..... no better gift for our beloved little furfaces...... would that we all, human and canine, have such a thing......

Old 04-11-2010, 08:24 AM

19,858 posts, read 61,721,455 times
Willie loved his life with your family as much as you loved him. You gave him the best life and death any of us could wish for. My sympathies.

Old 04-11-2010, 09:59 AM

1,928 posts, read 3,410,691 times
What a wonderful life Willie had! To be rescued, loved and not afraid anymore. You gave him a wonderful gift. He is now at peace with no pain running and playing waiting for the day he sees you again.

My sympathies are with you and your family. I am so sorry.

Old 04-11-2010, 10:48 AM

12,054 posts, read 21,800,969 times
I am so sorry for the loss of your beloved Willie. Rescue dogs are always so grateful for the love they are given. He knew that you loved him very much. My condolences.

Old 04-11-2010, 01:31 PM
bjh

42,941 posts, read 26,753,196 times
Sorry you lost Willie. He reminds me of the pug we had when i was a kid. They're a special breed.

Remember the good times you had with him.

Old 04-11-2010, 03:56 PM

13,768 posts, read 36,080,732 times
So sorry for your loss, but you did the right thing for Willie. He loved you enough to fight through all the illness and you loved him enough to not let him suffer.

Old 04-11-2010, 04:34 PM

29,985 posts, read 40,368,562 times
So sorry for your loss. He was as lucky to have you as you were him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Rainbow Bridge