Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2007, 01:56 PM

1 posts, read 1,241 times

Advertisements

I personally have friend who lived in Seekonk, MA and moved to Clayton, NC, following their son who also moved down there. Their neighbors are from Lowell, MA! They sold their house up here and were able to buy a beautiful new home for $112,000 down there. My husband and I are from New Bedford, which is right near the ocean. We drove the 12 hours down there and had 3 days worth of appointments with realtor for houses we could afford (less than 120,000) We found some really nice houses.. even brand new ones in that price range. We decieded on the trip home though, that we loved the ocean too much and would miss both our families too much. I talked so much about moving down there, that one of my co-workers looked into it and ended up moving to Holly Springs. He lived in Hyde Park, MA and moved primarily because of the school system is highly rated in that area. His neighbors are from Massachusetts too!

Cary is nicknamed: Containment Area for Relocated Yankees
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2007, 02:21 PM

180 posts, read 662,573 times
I don't think you are going to find Raleigh all that big! Boston is MUCH bigger. I grew up summers on the Cape, and the beaches are just as beautiful here Good luck on your move!

Old 07-31-2007, 05:19 PM

25 posts, read 98,408 times
Default Another Capecodder heading south!

Following in your footsteps Capemom24! I too live in Sandwich and am heading to NC with my family. I have been reading the forums to find out the best match for my family in NC. All I can say is that I am confused. I also don't go to the beach so I do not need water. At least not salt water!

I have a 13 year old son which is my main priority when it comes to finding a town. The school system is very important. So any imformation would be appreciated from any member regarding high schools. I too am planning to rent first before buying. I guess I need to know what area to live ex: Cary, Apex or Wake Forrest and the differences or likenesses of these towns. Also any other areas worth taking a look at.

I am planning on coming down to the area in about 3 weeks to start looking for a home to move into in mid Sept. I know that is quick but I just sold my house here on Cape.

Also, my son is extremely picked on in school up here. I know it happens everywhere but I am hoping to find a school where he will fit in and not be tormented. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Old 07-31-2007, 06:12 PM

1,395 posts, read 5,085,180 times
We moved from Massachusetts about a year ago. We were living in Central Mass outside of Worcester. I have been extremely happy with the change. I love it here. It's a great place to raise a family.

There are so many beautiful parks with playgrounds here. Each and everyone I have been to have been clean and safe. It's a big change from what I was used to up in MA. The whole area is like that - clean, beautiful and relatively safe. I look at the crime in the Cary News and most of what happens here is breaking into UNLOCKED CARS - HELLO PEOPLE - LOCK YOUR CAR DOORS. Okay that's another tangent for another day.

I think you would be happy in Cary, Apex, Holly Springs or Wake Forest. Perhaps even Fuquay Varina. Most of the jobs here are in RTP (Research Triangle Park). For the best commute to RTP you would want to consider Cary, Apex, Morrisville, North Raleigh & Wake Forest. Believe it or not, people tell me the commute from Wake Forest to RTP is better than the commute from Cary to RTP. It's further, but they say there is a lot less traffic.

I have an aquaintance that just moved out of Morrisville citing too much "diversity". She recently relocated to Fuquay Varina & is much happier. I also had another aquaitance move out of MOrrisville to Wake Forest for the same exact reason. People want to live around others that are like them. & It's not a black/white thing either. It's a larger cultural gap like Indians, Chinese, Muslims, etc. They said they would say hello to their neighbors & they wouldn't even acknowledge that they existed. It was hard for them being here from CT and not knowing anyone and living around people that didn't even respond to a "Hello".

I'm not trying to dog an entire town, but that's just what I have heard from others here. I looked at a neighborhood in Morrisville and the people living there told me the same thing! So... It's something to consider.

Good luck.

Old 07-31-2007, 08:17 PM

1 posts, read 1,180 times
I've lived in 6 states and Raleigh is by far my favorite place. I grew up on LI, NY (19 years). Raleigh at first seems really busy, etc. but after settling in, is not that 'hectic'. I live 1 mile North of the beltline (4 miles from downtown), and it's extremely quiet (I'm only 1 block off of a major road). The area is very diverse, so my suggestion would be to plan on renting for 6mon - 1 year before committing to an area. Areas that may be of interest for you may include Garner, Knightdale / Clayton, Rolesville (these if you want a low $$ house in a market that is poised for appreciation) or Holly Springs, Fuquay, or Apex. Wake Forest really depends on what area of town - although Wake Forest includes some of the most successful SD's on the East Coast, it can get pretty busy. I would avoid Cary - its probably the most hectic area (more so than anywhere in Raleigh except Crabtree Valley in December!). Both Cary and Wake Forest have been experiencing high growth for a number of years now, so home $$ is higher and traffic is congested. I have lived in North Raleigh for 3 years and I love it (my kids are 4 and 2 years old)! You can still find affordable housing in enjoyable communities north of I-440 between Leesville Rd and Falls of Neuse Rd. One thing to mention to be aware of is the yard factor. The Cape is an older community, so you don't have as many yuppie SD's that have been the rage over the past 10-15 years. The rest of the country outside of the Northeast US is used to it - I mean, expect MANY SD's (especially higher $$ ones) to have BIG Houses and NO YARD! (I'm sorry, this is a pet peeve of mine - if you can afford $500K +, you can afford a landscaper) With kids, you may want to make this a big consideration. Do you want a yard for outdoor activities? Some cheap SD's below $150's may have cleared lots (no shade trees) for mass development. Some expensive SD's may have no yards for reduced maintenance. My home in North Raleigh has a lot comparable to most I am used to in towns on LI. (Big enough to kick a soccer ball or throw a baseball, too small for a sit-down mower) The neighborhood has huge amounts of shade trees, so my kids play outside on the swings, sandbox, etc. all day in summer. If you prefer a smaller yard, there are more than enough parks to spend your afternoons in parental bliss.

Old 08-01-2007, 06:03 AM

25 posts, read 98,408 times
Thanks for the responses! I do not have to worry about a job/commute because I am disabled. So I can live just about anywhere. North Carolina just seems to be calling to me for some reason. School is the most important thing for me right now because my son will be entering high school next year. I do want trees though. I do not like when lots are wiped clean of trees! I am looking for a pretty community. I will rent first no matter where I go. Will buy in a year or so. I am a bit nervous for the culture shock though. Especially the weather. I hate humidity but it is just about everywhere. Here on the Cape it has been extremely humid the past week. Can't get anything done outside. The Cape is just way to expensive as is the rest of MA.

What about hospitals and health care in these areas? What are the big hospitals and are they any good? That is another important aspect for me and my family as we have to deal with some health issues. Health care is wonderful here as are the majority of doctors.

Also, how much is an average monthly electric bill down there? I have never had central AC and I know that I would use it always. I need to average that in to my monthly expenses.

Old 08-01-2007, 06:49 AM

40 posts, read 133,926 times
Default Try Wake Forest

Most flock to the southwest of Raleigh due to its proximity to RDU and RTP. The press rankings that Cary has received supports the well planned developed, convenient to many large employers... but has become densley populated.

Wake Forest is a growing family oriented town in the Northwest part of Wake County and offers convenience, with easy access to Hwy 98 and Captial Blvd allowing you to be in and around Raleigh within 15-20 mins. ie. Falls Lake, 3 malls, medical centers etc. WF offers a wide variety of new and resale home types and often with more property than the other popular towns mentioned. Try it...you'll hopefully like it...we did.

Old 08-01-2007, 12:42 PM

478 posts, read 2,045,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solarcafe View Post
If you prefer a smaller yard, there are more than enough parks to spend your afternoons in parental bliss.
Yeah, but wait until the sun starts to go down because the slides are brutally hot! As well as the rest of the park, in most places.

That's why so many have the warning signs: 'Warning: equipment is hot'.

ITA with you on the absurd notion of a huge home, or even mid sized home with no yard. It is tragic, given how many families with children buy these homes. Kids need to have convenient access to playing outdoors and no where is more convenient than one's own back garden. No one can convince me that MORE car time for children in this country, or being inside AC'd homes is a good thing for the mad child obesity rates.

Where do you live in N. Raleigh, may I ask, that you have such a nice lot size?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary