Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2010, 07:15 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,096,578 times

Advertisements

Rumors? Ignorance?

The first week I was in NC I became lost in a horrific part of Durham. I felt lucky to survive. I would have asked someone for directions, but I saw people who looked like they were on drugs. It was terrifying.

Then I worked in downtown Durham. I don't ever want to work there again.

I once accompanied a friend to downtown Durham to make a sales visit to a company. The area looked very "iffy," and I asked him if it was safe. He said I'd never see him there past 5 pm -- not ever. And he was not some scared white boy. He was an African-American man.

And recently, the police chief almost gets hit by a stray bullet in a "good" part of town?

Hmmm.

No rumors there. Just experiences and reality.

There are great areas of Durham and great restaurants. We've enjoyed the Festival of the Eno. There are many happy people in Durham.

I prefer Raleigh. I feel safe in downtown Raleigh at night, and the crime stats, when compared to Durham, are far better.

I read that the Durham crime rate had gone up recently, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2010, 07:17 PM

280 posts, read 741,269 times
I have lived in Durham (27713), then moved to Apex and we are now in Cary. We have felt safe in all the three areas and have been very happy in all three. We have moved for various reasons and not one of them was because of safety concerns or crime.
I agree with the other posters and the moderator tho - why is it that Cary always is the target of snide remarks? The OP is upset when Durham is labelled unfairly but when the same is done to Cary and Caryites its all in the spirit of fun. Apparently Cary and her people are fair target and are not allowed to take offence.

Old 06-10-2010, 07:32 PM

86 posts, read 179,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pegotty View Post
Well, bad things can certainly happen anywhere, but the statistics are clear that it's just more likely to happen in Durham.

Crime index per 100,000 people in 2008 according to city-data
Cary: 120
Raleigh: 342
Durham: 522

//www.city-data.com/city/Cary-North-Carolina.html
//www.city-data.com/city/Durham...-Carolina.html
//www.city-data.com/city/Raleig...-Carolina.html

Looks like the murder rate is actually higher in Raleigh, though.

I do think Durham has alot going for it. But there is no getting around the fact that a higher crime rate is a trade-off that you make for the amenities.
I would be cautious about going just by statistics. They can be skewed if you have patches of problems. It may not represent the entirety of any city. The issue for us tranplants is we need to go by concrete information when looking from a distance. Statistics wouldn't stop me from visiting, but it would give me pause on buying. Until you spend years in an area learning the details, you really can't make a truly informed decision. We are left with reading stat sheets and going by hearsay. Sometimes the safest choice is the most comforting choice.

Old 06-10-2010, 07:40 PM

2,541 posts, read 5,476,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marietta Man View Post
I would be cautious about going just by statistics. They can be skewed if you have patches of problems. It may not represent the entirety of any city. The issue for us tranplants is we need to go by concrete information when looking from a distance. Statistics wouldn't stop me from visiting, but it would give me pause on buying. Until you spend years in an area learning the details, you really can't make a truly informed decision. We are left with reading stat sheets and going by hearsay. Sometimes the safest choice is the most comforting choice.
Sure, but when combined with the reputation and lots of anecdotal evidence the statistics bear a little more weight.

Old 06-10-2010, 08:30 PM

2,135 posts, read 7,657,162 times
Quote:
The Southpoint area is 'Da Bomb'
Is this because it's near the mall? I'm just curious because I'm not a mall person. I go to the mall 2-3 times a year. What else does the Southpoint area offer?

Old 06-10-2010, 08:30 PM

487 posts, read 891,098 times
I think a lot of the fear of Durham (in Chapel Hill at least) is grounded in racism.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 06-10-2010 at 08:34 PM.. Reason: Deleted reference to your previous post

Old 06-10-2010, 08:37 PM

43,291 posts, read 77,115,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAtoNC! View Post
Is this because it's near the mall? I'm just curious because I'm not a mall person. I go to the mall 2-3 times a year. What else does the Southpoint area offer?
Several new construction neighborhoods.
We have several members here who live in Grandale by Centex/Pulte.

Great access to RTP, RDU. And to Cary.

And good access to some of the ancillary businesses that gather around the mall.
Plus, the Mall is an employment center, too.

Easy access to the Jordan Lake area.

Old 06-10-2010, 08:41 PM

365 posts, read 1,208,547 times
We moved from Durham to Chapel Hill over 5 years ago, and sometimes I really wish we had not. We never had any bad experiences there, and we mainly moved because we wanted the best affordable schools for our daughter.

I am VERY happy in CH - love our location, how we can easily bike/walk almost any place we'd like to go, and love the schools. Plus, my husband works at UNC and can bike there, and when the weather is bad, the bus stop is right out the front door. In Durham he drove to where he could bus in (parking on campus is prohibitably expensive for employees).

Now I'm seeing such a wonderful positive growth and spirit in Durham that it makes me sad sometimes that I'm not a part of it. We still go there to shop, eat out, for local festivals, the farmer's market, etc. It's not like we're so far away that we can't enjoy the city. But being a part of that civic pride and watching your city re-bloom like Durham has recently has got to be something really special. I'll settle for being proud from afar (or aclose might be more apt ) and enjoying Durham as my neighbor.

Old 06-10-2010, 09:18 PM

3,155 posts, read 10,757,253 times
For people who want more information about Durham Public Schools I recommend: Strong Durham Schools. It is a parent run website where positive stories about Durham Schools are listed.

I don't have the energy tonight to refute some of the ignorance about Durham. But I remind myself this.... usually folks with a negative view of Durham either have an outdated view (based on a experience 10 plus years ago) or lack information. Those people who really want to find out what makes the Bull City tick will do more than just read the opinions of a few strangers on CD. Come see for yourself. And if it's not for you that's fine. There is a place for everyone in The Triangle. (Everyone except the whiners. )

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 06-10-2010 at 09:24 PM.. Reason: Added the link

Old 06-10-2010, 09:39 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,286,677 times
I live in Raleigh, but go to Durham all the time.

Some of my favorite places in the Triangle are in Durham:

The Broad Street Cafe
Durham Bulls Baseball Park
American Tobacco Campus (Tyler's taproom before a game is awesome)
The DPAC
Brightleaf Square
The Durham Farmer's Market (probably the best market in all of the Triangle IMHO)
The Regulator Book Shop on 9th Street
Duke Gardens
Carolina Theater
Foster's Market
South Point Mall
Just to name a few.....

I really want to check out Revolution ... I hear it is great!

Most of the negative opinions I read on this forum are born from ignorance. I find it dissapointing that so many base their view of an entire city, its surrounding subruban area, and county it is located in based on a few "bad" parts of town. I can think of a few parts of Raleigh I wouldn't hang around after dark, but if you told me Raleigh was unsafe becasue of your experiences there I would think you were a bit narrow in perspective.

If you live in the Traingle and avoid Durham that is like going into a world class seafood restaurant and ordering chicken fingers. You are essentially depriving yourself of some of the best things this area has to offer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary