Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2007, 04:41 PM

12 posts, read 42,731 times

Advertisements

Please Help!

We are moving from MI to the Raleigh area in late July or early August and can't decide what areas would be a "best fit" for us. We are a family of 4 (plus one four legged friend) We have two boys who are both athletic. Our oldest is 13 and involved in travel soccer.

We were contemplating Apex or Clayton, any advice you can give on either town would be appreciated, but we are open to other ideas, as we have not been down to visit yet! My husband will be there in two weeks and I will be down with the boys in four to check on towns and get us situated.

After reading all of the posts about the school situation, I am a little overwhelmed, so any suggestions or help you can give us would be appreciated. I am looking for stability for the boys, so I am not sure if Johnston or Wake would be a better fit, or is there even another choice??

Thank you for your help and suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2007, 04:59 PM

94 posts, read 393,806 times
Smile Me too!!!

I'm in MI relocating to the Raleigh area myself -similar timeframe... "last one out, turn out the lights"

Old 06-18-2007, 05:09 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,230,653 times
A good starting place would be to determine where you and/or hubby will be working.

If that isn't a consideration, I'd suggest you see all the different areas and then based on what you like, make that your home.

I have so many clients that start out wanting a particular area but then once they have checked into all the areas, end up somewhere they didn't think they would. Different people look for different things.

Start out with someone who will explain to you the different areas, and why some are more desireable than others and go from there! It should be fun!

Vicki

Old 06-18-2007, 05:13 PM

12 posts, read 42,731 times
Default Relocating for work??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn11 View Post
I'm in MI relocating to the Raleigh area myself -similar timeframe... "last one out, turn out the lights"
Are you relocating for work?? A teacher by any chance??

That is why we're moving. Both my husband and I are getting jobs there. Only one teacher in our family - me

Old 06-18-2007, 06:48 PM

842 posts, read 3,228,552 times
As a former Michigander myself, I prefer Apex over Clayton.

Clayton has a few too many trailer parks for my taste.

Old 06-18-2007, 07:44 PM

225 posts, read 953,864 times
Hello. We also just relocated from Michigan...I agree with Vicki, where your jobs are will probably help you decide where you want to settle.

I really like the small town of Apex, kind of reminds me of Holly or Clarkston...sort of . I don't know too much about Clayton because we are never on that side of town, but, read lots of good things about it & the housing prices seem lower then the Cary/Apex area. It seems you get more acreage too.

Old 06-18-2007, 08:21 PM

2,834 posts, read 12,030,382 times
I also would agree with other posters, that once you come down and visit you will definitely get a better feel for the area. Clayton is a more difficult commute to rtp, but if you are not working there then that may not be an issue. I think people come to visit and they have an idea about what they will like, and may discover they like other areas more. Wake county schools are strong academically (for the most part) but also have more issues with reassignments. Johnston county schools do not have as much money as wake county schools (yet) but also don't have the reassignment issue either.

As far as soccer goes, there are many traveling teams. CASL (capital area soccer league) is well known and has games all over the triangle (we play in wake forest where we live, but they have them in all of the towns it seems).

Some people want more land, others want more house, it will really depend on you! Once you visit you will be better able to determine where you feel more comfortable.

Leigh

Old 06-19-2007, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCarolinaNewB View Post
Are you relocating for work?? A teacher by any chance??

That is why we're moving. Both my husband and I are getting jobs there. Only one teacher in our family - me
I'm Administrative, so hopefully securing employment won't be to much of a struggle. I visited the Raleigh area for about a week over the Memorial Day weekend -met with a few employment agencies to get the process started and toured a ton of apartment complexes.

I'm basically moving for a 'life change' to an area that affords opportunity and where people are neighborly. I live in Farmington Hills (MI) - where there's disproportionately more 'Chiefs than Indians' -the elitism, entitlement mentality drains me and the gap between the "haves" and the "have not's" is swallowing up those in between by turning into a "working poor" sinkhole.

I live a financially modest life and I can't get ahead... so it's time to skeet-daddle!

Old 06-19-2007, 10:55 AM

1,515 posts, read 6,981,112 times
I lived in Apex for a year, about six years ago. I was recently traveling through it and was literally SHOCKED about how much it has grown!!! It used to be a small town, I remember when Lowe's food went up how excited everyone was, lol. Its really a nice town, I used to love the downtown portion of it, but I don't know why. I think because I grew up in Raleigh and loved that small town feel to it.

I now live in Clayton which I love. Honestly, I couldnt tell you which one is better. I think Clayton might have alot more to offer, the location is great. Raleigh/Garner is just a few minutes away, Smithfield outlet shopping is just outside of Clayton, the beach is about an hour & a half away. In Apex, Cary is the next city over, so is Durham which is pretty much RTP. Jordan lake is one exit over (excellent lake!), Emerald Pointe in Greensboro is about an hour away...yikes! That would be a hard decision!!!

I didnt do too much home shopping in Apex so I really dont know what the prices are like. There's also Holly Springs and Fuquay Varina near Apex too.

I would highly suggest taking a weekend and just touring both cities. There are some similarties, but then again, both are quite different. I found my house in Clayton and fell in love with it. That was my winning point.
I also love the school system out here too, my daughter went from struggling in the school in Raleigh to a Principal's list student in Clayton. That's just my experience though.
They do have wonderful schools in Raleigh too though!

Good luck! If you have any additional questions, feel free to PM me!

Old 06-22-2007, 12:53 PM

Question Apex -"location, location, location"

I was recently looking at the Meadows at Kildaire apartments online -because I won't have secured employment when I move, it's a crap shoot...

So I'm wondering how central it's location is and if living there would be a 'pain in the patooty' in terms of commuting to the RTP area.

I'm overwhelmed....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary