Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2010, 05:01 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,163,684 times

Advertisements

Mayor Meeker said that you should live near where you work.

I agree fully.

I work in North Raleigh and live there too. Five minutes is my max.

In NYC, I walked to work.

Constantly laugh at the Wake Forest crowd crawling along Capital daily because they just had to achieve the American Dream.

Hogwash! My apt has a gym and pool and is right where I need to be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2010, 05:31 AM

2,459 posts, read 8,078,162 times
My commute has varied from 15 to 35 minutes depending on where I lived and worked at the time. Ironically enough I've not always been in synch between the two (lived in Durham and worked in Raleigh, lived in Raleigh worked in Cary, lived in Cary worked in Durham). My new assignment allows working at home when I'm not traveling. Hard to beat no commuting ...

Frank

Old 06-14-2010, 08:24 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,243,784 times
We live in North Raleigh and hubby works in Clayton. His office used to be in Cameron Village but moved a few years ago. He actually LIKES the 30 min. drive to and from his office. He is going against traffic so he isn't SITTING in traffic at all. He says the drive, with his radio turned up, relaxes him! It would drive me crazy!

Vicki

Old 06-14-2010, 08:30 AM

1,067 posts, read 1,831,399 times
I wouldn't call it spoiled. I'd call it smart. Choosing to live somewhere that allows you to have a short commute and nearby access to shopping means that you get to spend more time doing things, rather than spending so much time and burning so much gas shuttling back and forth.

Sorry, Clayton-RTP commuters (among others.) You don't get to call people who live closer to work than you SPOILED. I guarantee you could have found something in Raleigh or Cary or wherever that fit your price range. You chose to live out there, whether it was because you got an extra quarter acre of land or 600 extra square feet or you just had to have a brand-new house, or you just like living out in the country.

Old 06-14-2010, 10:42 AM

451 posts, read 1,157,433 times
I think if people spent more time worrying about their own lives and not judging others they would be better off. Why would you care if your neighbor commutes 3 minutes or 300 miles to work? Why would people care if some like to live within 5 minutes of daily stops vs someone who prefers to live out in the country?

Just don't get this thread at all

Old 06-14-2010, 10:48 AM

797 posts, read 3,580,425 times
I have a 10 minute commute to work (North Durham), and its all on 2 roads. 5 miles away. Sometimes I wish it was only 5 minutes, hahaha. Spoiled, I know.

Old 06-15-2010, 12:05 AM

518 posts, read 1,052,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankpc View Post
My commute has varied from 15 to 35 minutes depending on where I lived and worked at the time. Ironically enough I've not always been in synch between the two (lived in Durham and worked in Raleigh, lived in Raleigh worked in Cary, lived in Cary worked in Durham). My new assignment allows working at home when I'm not traveling. Hard to beat no commuting ...

Frank
Ain't that the damn truth. Anytime I moved to get closer to work, I got laid off or changed jobs only to have to make a 25-35 min commute accross town. Same thing went for friends and girlfriends. Always accross town.
In my experience people here commute on avg. 25-45 min from people I have known. Some less and some more. I've known people who commuted 1.5hrs to work in RTP/Raleigh, which never made any sense. I understand why people might consider it in NYC, but I never would.

(I think the RTP thing is stupidly set up without at least one more major HWY linking it)...not as bad now that the areas between have grown and finally widened I-40, but 10-15 years ago it just seemed idiotic. Pretty area yes, but ideal for commutes .NO. I-40 is still far from perfect, especially considering its the MAIN road in NC and we are the CAPITAL city.

Old 06-21-2010, 07:12 PM

8 posts, read 12,284 times
Go to google maps and focus on the Cary area. What do you see, asphalt gray shingles of suburbia. That's why some people like the 30 minute commute, looking for what NC living is all about right. Does it exist?

Old 06-22-2010, 01:41 AM

82 posts, read 224,275 times
That use to be me until I moved to Los Angeles... and now a 45-minute commute is perfectly fine.

Old 06-22-2010, 04:34 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,284,407 times
With all the growth this area sees a 25 minute commute today will likely be longer 3-5 years from no w so why put yourself at the high end from the get go?

IMO it is pretty easy to find housing within a 25 minute commute of the major employment centers (unlike the northeast and CA). Unless you are looking for something in particular (lots of land / specific schools ect...) you have to go out of your way to give your self a "long" commute here.

I don't think people have warped sense of a long commute. They are just informed. I use to have a 3 hour round trip commute in NJ. That will never happen again. Now my commtue is 25 minutes each way, or 50 minutes round trip. It would be even shorter if I could afford to live closer to my job. I don't get people who willingly choose to spend more time in the car. You can talk all you want about "down time" and learning languages or listening to a books on tape while driving, but I'm not buying it. As somebody else wisely said, "Car time isn't quality time". I agree.

When people die I doubt their last thought is that they wished they had spent more time commuting to work. Life is too short to spend so much time behind the wheel, especially when you don't have to!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary