Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2010, 11:55 PM

1 posts, read 2,149 times

Advertisements

We moved to Raleigh from a small town in the western part of the state and I'm having trouble finding a no-frills dentist and a simple 'country veterinarian'. I keep running into what I call boutique providers who have plush offices and state of the art equipment--and ridiculously high prices to fund both.
Can anyone recommend a 'no-frills' dentist who knows what they're doing and is trustworthy? I just want good care from someone I can trust; having the ability to take digital pictures of my teeth or turn out a same-day crown is of no value if they can't spot a cavity in the early stages (as has happened with my most recent dentist.)
As for a vet, the one I've been using appears to be practicing defensive medicine. They can't seem to diagnose anything without running lots of expensive tests, they recommend the most elaborate treatments, and they place no value at all on my input as the pet owner. We have simple needs; does anyone know of any old-fashioned "country vets" in Wake County?

We live in N. Raleigh but I'm willing to travel for the right folks...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2010, 04:56 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,153,963 times
Dentist - Dr. Devine - Howarth Family Dental on Capital Blvd
Vet - Dr.Jon at Magnolia Animal Hospital on Capital

Honest and conservative

Old 06-14-2010, 05:04 AM

2,541 posts, read 5,473,821 times
We use Stage Road Animal Hospital in Angier. They are exactly as you describe. simple, straightforward and only do what is necessary. About 5 years ago my dog was hit by a car and his leg needed amputating. The total bill from Stage Road was $500. I have a friend who is a vet in Raleigh who told me it would have cost him about $2000 for the same work.

Old 06-14-2010, 05:45 AM

1,357 posts, read 4,026,401 times
I 2nd Magnolia Animal Hospital. Simple, no frills, and the staff couldn't be any more amazing than they already are!!! Plus, they have great hours.

Old 06-14-2010, 06:11 AM

4,596 posts, read 11,445,190 times
Default Well, I understand completely

Good luck in both areas. I seem to have found both a dentist and a vet I like, and feel isn't out to make a small fortune off me or my dogs.

My three boys see Dr. Munn, here in Cary, off HWY 55 and Green Level. His practice is called West Chatham Animal Hospital. He is wonderful -- takes time with your pet, listens to what you have to say, seems to appreciate your stance as the pet's 'parent.' He is also willing to 'agree to disagree' over issues -- for example, I told him I would defer to the rescue group from which I adopted my little Cairn when it came to skin issues and diet as I felt they know the breed better. I appreciated being able to be honest with him, and while he was advocating a different diet because my Toto has had bladder stones, I felt the rescue group could help me find a happy medium when it came to diet.

Dr. Munn provides good care, and takes time to explain what needs to be done and why. He opts first for the least invasive, and most cost effective, which I truly appreciate. He responds to questions via email, and the practice is small enough that I can call and get one of the dogs in with no appointment if there is a problem.

I also highly recommend the young vets in the clinics at NCSU (near the State Fairgrounds). They did a remarkable job with our 19-year-old JRT who suffered a stroke last May. They only see pets, however, on an emergency basis. I was very happy with the level of care, treatment plan, and cost. The vet opted to fore-go any testing, given the 'little old man's age,' choosing instead to help us provide him with a good quality of life and keeping him comfortable.

Ironically enough, I found the dentist in the same shopping center. Dr. Beth Dunsmoore has a small, no-frills office, but does use current technology in an effort to provide the best care. In her initial visit, she did take x-rays, and spent at least 1.5 hours with me, determining the overall health of my mouth and teeth. She didn't tell me anything I didn't already know from my most-beloved and most-trusted former dentist, so when she advocated paying some attention to a molar with a problem, I was willing to let her do the work.

Her prices are on-par with most in the area, but what I didn't realize until I had the work done, is that she quotes the high end so there are no surprises. That was nice -- especially when the work was less. She also knocked $100 off the overall price at the end because when I showed up for the permanent crown to be put in place, we all had to wait on its delivery -- held up in a traffic snarl. She prioritized the work I need, which I also appreciate. I knew it was coming, as I have some fairly good-sized fillings in molars that I was told years ago would eventually require crowns. My poor teeth are a testament to preventative dental care -- something my parents didn't do for us as children, alas.

I SO understand what you are looking for, and have spent the past several years trying hard to find doctors, dentists, and vets, myself. This is the third vet, and the third dentist, so there must be some truth to the saying about three being a charm.

Old 06-14-2010, 06:19 AM

447 posts, read 1,619,186 times
Try Garner Animal Hospital at the corner of highway 70 and Timber drive in Garner. Two great vets and reasonable prices. Their phone is 772-0404.

Old 06-14-2010, 12:10 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,089,036 times
Dentist - Sunrise Dental in North Raleigh. They're not low-cost. I haven't found any low-cost dentist that I trust.

Vet - Dr. Jon at Magnolia Animal Hospital on Capital. Everyone loves Dr. Jon and his staff.

Old 06-14-2010, 08:45 PM

99 posts, read 326,062 times
I used to go to Dr. Farmer at Greystone Animal Hospital on Lead Mine Rd and she was wonderful. Runs a one woman office and is reasonably priced- never wanted any expensive tests. I stoppped going there because she is just too far away from my house, I live south of Garner. Give her a try!

Old 06-15-2010, 09:01 AM

375 posts, read 1,143,209 times
Check out Ansede Animal Hospital in Garner (corner of S. Wilmington and Tryon, sort of behind the gas station) Dr. Ansede doesn't push anything unnecessary - and the vet tech Carolyn is amazing. She really preaches not over-vaccinating or over-testing. The prices are also very reasonable.

Old 06-15-2010, 03:47 PM

81 posts, read 248,631 times
I always used dental insurance, so I'm not positive on his prices, but I like Dr. Bereman on Spring Forest Road in North Raleigh. The hygienists there were always really pleasant and Dr. Bereman's a nice guy. I never felt like he was trying to wow me with technology or upsell procedures like some dentists do. I don't think I got supplemental bills like you sometimes get when dentists charge more than the insurance company will pay, so perhaps his charges are reasonable?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary