Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2010, 08:48 AM

2,086 posts, read 7,642,682 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
But I do hear folks come up here from Florida to escape the heat...
That's what I did! People complaining about the humidity here don't really know what relentless humidity and constant high temps for months is like.

I just looked at a comparison of the current temp both in Raleigh and my hometown at 10:30 am:

Raleigh - 81 (77% humidity, which will decrease during the course of the day)
Miami - 89 (69% humidity, which will remain the same during the day)

Raleigh's low will be 73, Miami's will be 79.

The weather Miami is having right now started probably in late April and will stick around until October. And it's like that every single day.

Here, we do get some hothothot days, but they come in spurts and often with a lower humidity level. When I came back to 90+ here in Raleigh last Sunday, it felt more like an oven than the sauna I had just left in Miami. I can deal with that!

Plus, people get really grumpy when they live in a sauna for months on end. They don't realize it, but they seem to be really irritated all the time. I used to be one of those people, but now I say "bring on summer" because I know it only lasts a few months instead of half the year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2010, 08:49 AM

8,276 posts, read 12,855,535 times
I moved to Orlando for the weather... NO SNOW.... I''m good. love my FL

Old 06-19-2010, 09:02 AM

1,424 posts, read 5,335,969 times
The summer weather here sux. Period. The other seasons are just lovely. FL is equally oppressive, but just for a longer period of time (April - October, and we often fought about having the A/C on on Thanksgiving when I lived there).

I think the people who come to NC to get away from the heat go to the mountains.

Old 06-19-2010, 09:03 AM

451 posts, read 1,565,160 times
Come up to our mountains when you can. Temp right now in Blowing Rock is 73.2 degrees. 82 will be the high.

Old 06-19-2010, 09:16 AM

1,832 posts, read 5,089,278 times
I'd like to echo Miamiblue. We moved from FL where "summer" (90 degree days) lasts 6 months. I can take a few weeks, even a couple months, of 90s. Of course, I didn't move here for the weather b/c I despise the cold, so winters here are really rough. In FL we get 6mo of gorgeous in exchange for 6 mo of hell

Old 06-19-2010, 09:59 AM

518 posts, read 1,052,559 times
I don't recall so many mid-high 90s days in June here in the past 15 yrs. June is usually pretty pleasant overall. July and Aug is usually the miserable months. Seems they are coming early this year.

The worst humidity I ever experienced was Tampa in summertime. Talk about a sauna. The second you walk outside it hits you. '

Its all in what you are used to I think. After too many cold snowy cloudy freezing NY winters, I loved the climate down here, but after going out west on vacations, it makes me dislike the summers more.

Old 06-19-2010, 10:51 AM

379 posts, read 959,164 times
Coming here from the Northeast, everyone gets the winter blues up there! It is void of any color from Oct. to late April- dull & dreary and people get depressed- there is even a name for it (which I cannot recall).

It's funny how people complain when its too cold and say "Oh, I can't wait for summer" and then when summer is here they say "It's too hot!".

Old 06-19-2010, 11:26 AM

553 posts, read 1,271,901 times
The weather is exactly why I left Buffalo. I'd had it with record snow falls, temps below zero and not seeing the sun for three weeks.

I'll take the heat and the Carolina blue sky

Old 06-19-2010, 11:38 AM

268 posts, read 1,067,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AONE View Post
I moved to Orlando for the weather... NO SNOW.... I''m good. love my FL
I'm moving to North Port, Fl in 18 months. Too chilly for me here in Apex :-)

Old 06-19-2010, 02:27 PM

1,061 posts, read 2,250,906 times
Living in Miami and spending most of my summers in Raleigh for the past 4 years, this is definitely the longest stretch with the hottest temps I have experienced in Raleigh this early in June. Having stated that, the heat seems to be more intense in Miami. For example, I have been here for 2 weeks now and the day arrived here and the day after seemed so much cooler than what I left in Miami. In fact on my 2nd day here it was in the mid to upper 60's here and I decided to go for a long run. It was great! not hot at all and it was near noon.

Believe it or not the type of heat we are experiencing in Raleigh now I was experiencing it about a month ago in Miami. OK maybe not 96, but we were already getting temps in the 90-93 range with heat index of over 100. This year in Miami April was surprisingly nice where we had temps still in the lower 80's for highs and mid to upper 60's for lows. Once May began, it was a different story; highs in the upper 80's and even 93 within the 1st week and a half into May.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary