Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2007, 05:56 PM

1,364 posts, read 6,022,601 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernpixie View Post
I am only asking so that I understand the question.

You want to know how to find an agent that will represent you as a buyer to get a home through iNest so that you get a 1% rebate but the agent will get nothing?
No - I am asking how to find an agent to assist me with a search for existing construction....with the single contingency that we are considering new construction in which case an agent may not be necessary and we'd rather potentially go with the inest.com route, which requires that we not use a realtor, to get a little extra cash.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2007, 05:58 PM

150 posts, read 599,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sneezecake View Post
No - I am asking how to find an agent to assist me with a search for existing construction....with the single contingency that we are considering new construction in which case an agent may not be necessary and we'd rather potentially go with the inest.com route, which requires that we not use a realtor, to get a little extra cash.
Thanks, got it! Sorry - I was just a little confused at first.

Old 06-19-2007, 06:07 PM

15 posts, read 17,838 times
I don't think a Realtor would like driving you all over town to take the chance of you buying new construction without them. They only get paid if they sell and that is alot of time on their part. Search for a Realtor and ask them if they will give you the 1% back from new construction. It can't hurt.

Old 06-19-2007, 06:14 PM

1,364 posts, read 6,022,601 times
Mom of 4-

Believe me, I hear you. I think the best solution is to just be up front about what I am planning or thinking and give them the right of refusal.

But because I am aware that it's potentially a deal breaker for some, That's why I'm trying to be sensitive to the situation. Surely there must be people who steadfastedly believe that they are best off using a realtor for MLS listings and going on their own in a new construction subdivision and I am hoping that there is some precedent in this area.

Old 06-19-2007, 07:23 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,243,784 times
I believe that if you, a buyer, go onsite and try to buy new construction without a buyer's agent...you are like a fish in a sea of sharks! Not that I have anything against the onsite people but they WORK FOR THE BUILDER. They are trained to negotiate. You are not.

Your agent's commission is NOT paid by YOU. Its paid by the marketing fee that the builder has already paid.

Good luck trying to find out what the incentives are by asking the company that is paying you! Most builders pay out more than $3,000 in incentives to the buyer when the buyer's agent asks for it!

Ok, ok...off my soapbox!!!

Vicki

Old 06-19-2007, 07:53 PM

43,284 posts, read 77,104,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sneezecake View Post
Mom of 4-

Believe me, I hear you. I think the best solution is to just be up front about what I am planning or thinking and give them the right of refusal.

But because I am aware that it's potentially a deal breaker for some, That's why I'm trying to be sensitive to the situation. Surely there must be people who steadfastedly believe that they are best off using a realtor for MLS listings and going on their own in a new construction subdivision and I am hoping that there is some precedent in this area.
Of course there is precedent.
There is always a precedent of people with misconceptions in any endeavor.

It's the middle of the busiest season for an agent, and you want someone to give you their time. For free.

You are describing a buffoon for an agent. Why would you want to hang with a buffoon?

Old 06-19-2007, 08:54 PM

Ok, Mike, now THAT was good for a laugh so I HAVE to give you a point for that one!

Vicki

Old 06-19-2007, 10:36 PM

770 posts, read 3,680,626 times
2.4% profit HOLY S$#% must be nice! Say you meet someone like me, I know what I want and I find it myself, the only thing I need you for is to show me where it is and to do the leg work. When I bought this house, I found it, my realtor got me in for a showing and had our contracts signed that night. I saw my realtor one more time between signing the contract and going to closing. We went to closing about a month later. So my realtor maybe spent a total of one week with me and made over 4000 dollars on my sale! WOW, that is more then my husband, a police officer makes in a month! Maybe I should think of a career switch myself!

Old 06-20-2007, 06:29 AM

85 posts, read 322,941 times
Well, I've bought/built twice. The house we're currently in we built in Massachusetts (where we were living), and we didn't use a realtor. We knew the area, spent time with three residents to hear their building experience, did a lot of research on the builder, etc. Seemed we did OK for ourselves.

Now we're moving to NC. I researched 33 subdivisions on my own. We did our first trip to NC by ourselves, and the subsequent five visits with our realtor. He is awesome. We chose him because he was born and raised in the Raleigh area, had lots of connections, and demonstrated drive and initiative in his business.

Where I think he's valuable is he's doing a bit of the negotiating with the builder. We have some timing issues, and we're doing a few complicated things. It's great to sit back here in MA and let him work through it all. He will more than earn his commission from the seller.

Two different scenarios; two different experiences.

Old 06-20-2007, 06:56 AM

For those of you that are buying new construction AND complaining about how much your Realtor makes...

The onsite sales associate makes that same 2.5%!!! And she/he works for the BUILDER! His job is to make you pay the most he can convince you to pay! His job, when there are any problems, is to make sure the builder gets the better ending. His job is to convince you to pay full price because "this builder doesn't "discount"! He doesn't have to tell you that the builder is offering $10,000 off becuase of too much inventory.

YOU DO NOT PAY YOUR BUYER'S AGENT COMMISSION, so why wouldn't you want someone to represent you? Its a FREE SERVICE to you.

And get this...that sales associate that WORKS FOR THE BUILDER, may get an additional bonus on top of their 2.5% commission if you do not have your own buyer's agent and he still WORKS FOR THE BUILDER!

Vicki
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary