Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2010, 05:35 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,205,997 times

Advertisements

Wakefield cheers project's start - News - MidtownRaleighNews.com

Don't hold your breath though. The first part of the project will widen the portion of the road north of Fonville Road (Near Falls Fire Station) and replace the Neuse River Bridge. That part is not expected to be finished until December of 2011. Then they will widen the rest of the road south of Fonville road in Phase II which will not be completed until spring of 2013.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2010, 07:01 PM

569 posts, read 1,973,476 times
Quote:
and replace the Neuse River Bridge.
The way I understand it, it will be a new bridge at a different location and not a replacement for the existing bridge. After the first phase is completed it will provide an alternate path around the existing bridge so the state can remove and replace the existing bridge. Couldn't find a map of the project and not sure of the exact path, but here is approximately where I think it is going to go.
Attached Thumbnails
Falls of Neuse Extension / Widening to begin this month-new-fon-rd.jpg  

Old 06-23-2010, 07:28 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,205,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffs555 View Post
The way I understand it, it will be a new bridge at a different location and not a replacement for the existing bridge. After the first phase is completed it will provide an alternate path around the existing bridge so the state can remove and replace the existing bridge. Couldn't find a map of the project and not sure of the exact path, but here is approximately where I think it is going to go.
Good catch. You are absolutely right.

Old 06-23-2010, 10:04 PM

2,835 posts, read 7,323,337 times
My understanding is the new bridge will connect New Falls of Neuse over the Falls River. The old bridge will be removed and not replaced. This will open the area up more for white water rafting when the lake level permits. It will also allow more cars to travel from Capital Blvd down to New Falls of Neuse. The nice quiet Wakefield communities that line the now dead end New Falls of Neuse may not like the thousands of cars per day that will be using the new connection but that is progress.

Old 06-24-2010, 01:11 AM

Quote:
The old bridge will be removed and not replaced.
Everything I have read says the existing bridge will be replaced. The DOT TIP number for the bridge replacement is B-4660 and here is the project page for it. https://apps.dot.state.nc.us/Project...5-91032ee06acc
It doesn't give any details except for the contract price of 3 million, but this page from the City of Raleigh says that after the bridge for New Falls is built, the DOT will replace the existing bridge.
City of Raleigh | Falls of Neuse Road Realignment and Widening (http://www.raleigh-nc.org/portal/portal/server.pt/gateway/PTARGS_0_2_306_202_0_43/http%3B/pt03/dig_web_content/category/Resident/Street_Improvement_Projects/Projects/Falls_of_Neuse/Cat-MCH-2008724-143324-Falls_of_Neuse_Road_Wide.html - broken link)

I did find the TIP number for the New Falls bridge and it is U-4901.
https://apps.dot.state.nc.us/project...spx?tip=U-4901

PS Here is the DOT map for the New Falls bridge and project.
https://apps.dot.state.nc.us/Project...shx?tip=U-4901

Old 06-24-2010, 02:13 AM

Quote:
This will open the area up more for white water rafting when the lake level permits.
It might be that the replacement bridge will be more self supporting and have fewer or no pillars in the river. I imagine if/when they release a lot of water from the dam it would be really hard on concrete pillars in the river.

In searching for info about the bridge I found this page with a lot of old photos of the falls area and thought some of you may be interested. Falls Community Website - Wake County, North Carolina
I remember riding my motorcycle out many times to watch the progress when they were building the dam. Wish I had been into picture taking back then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary