Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2010, 11:21 AM

182 posts, read 386,266 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyVilla View Post
The community strife existed well before Tedesco got in office. The community strife began when the previous board. They kind of brought this on themselves. The districts that voted in the new board, were the districts that were constantly ignored by the previous board. They finally found reps that will and are listening to them. In addition they are delivering on their election promises. I find that pretty darn cool, and wish other elected officials would remember to do the same.
the strife actually began about 10 years ago when the geniuses behind this current group successfully sabotaged a billion-dollar school bond. School construction has never recovered.

Then the exact same sponsors of that attack on schools went to the very people it caused assignment problems for and got them riled up for neighborhood schools. Margiotta and Tedesco weren't even here when their sponors defeated that school bond, and they probably don't even know a thing about it.

I don't think these new board members realize what the people behind them are actually after. I have got to hand it to them though. They are executing a pretty smart long range plan:

Step 1., block school construction, cause assignment problems

Step 2. neighborhood schools to take advantage of the problem caused by Step 1

Step 3. simply wait until neighborhood schools inevitably create disaster schools in poor neighborhoods

Step 4. mark my words, it already been brought up: when those disaster schools inevitbaly occur, they will push for vouchers to get kids out of disaster schools.

just coincidently that will provide tax money for religious education

the end game

watch
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2010, 05:03 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,153,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexWolfpacker View Post
the strife actually began about 10 years ago when the geniuses behind this current group successfully sabotaged a billion-dollar school bond. School construction has never recovered.

Then the exact same sponsors of that attack on schools went to the very people it caused assignment problems for and got them riled up for neighborhood schools. Margiotta and Tedesco weren't even here when their sponors defeated that school bond, and they probably don't even know a thing about it.

I don't think these new board members realize what the people behind them are actually after. I have got to hand it to them though. They are executing a pretty smart long range plan:

Step 1., block school construction, cause assignment problems

Step 2. neighborhood schools to take advantage of the problem caused by Step 1

Step 3. simply wait until neighborhood schools inevitably create disaster schools in poor neighborhoods

Step 4. mark my words, it already been brought up: when those disaster schools inevitbly occur, they will push for vouchers to get kids out of disaster schools.

just coincidently that will provide tax money for religious education

the end game

watch
The real answer was impact fees so no bonds would be needed. Let those creating the demand pay up front to save debt service fees.

The busing wastes enormous money on diesel fuel, drivers, and buses. Why flush money.

Magnet schools give poor parents who care about education a place to get it for their children. The loser parents who don't care a rat's patoot just create loser kids that ruin everyone's education.

As a wise old NYPD sergeant once told me about our area in lower Manhattan known as "Alphabet City". You can take the amimals out of the jungle but you can't take the jungle out of the animals.

Preferential magnet status for good but poor parents is what we need not a bunch of troublemakers ruining a good school.

Another NYPD quote that applies here "There are poor people and there are poor excuses for people".

I am no elitist. My wife grew up in a welfare home, but it was clean.

Old 06-26-2010, 05:10 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,446,794 times
So what is your suggestion for kids who have loser parents? Write them off?

Old 06-26-2010, 05:51 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,153,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roscomac View Post
So what is your suggestion for kids who have loser parents? Write them off?
1. Take the kids away and put them in schools like Boys' Town & Girls' Town
to give them a chance.
2. Terminate all government assistance to the loser parents
3. Spay/neuter the loser parents as required to prevent repetition of the
problem

Sounds cruel but it's really the only way to break the cycle if the parents are unable or unwilling to improve.

Old 06-26-2010, 06:38 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,446,794 times
O....k. Now, given that the school board does not have the authority to do any of those things, let's approach this a different way. What should WCPSS do?

Old 06-26-2010, 09:11 PM

182 posts, read 386,266 times
as you can see above, what we've come to is a handfull of folks from NY and NJ are going to "fix" our school system. they're going to straighten out what was recognized as one of the best county school systems in the nation

what would we do without them?

Old 06-27-2010, 06:19 AM

2,908 posts, read 3,871,176 times
Not a damn thing. Those that want to break the cycle will do so.
I came from a school system that would be considered average to below average. In my school, you could either coast and get by, or apply yourself and find the classes that were filled with like minded people.
Why is is that schools in impoverished areas can't offer a track of classes to accommodate those who want to learn? Why the need to bus kids out of their area and bring kids in from other areas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by roscomac View Post
O....k. Now, given that the school board does not have the authority to do any of those things, let's approach this a different way. What should WCPSS do?

Old 06-27-2010, 06:22 AM

2,908 posts, read 3,871,176 times
Please, not the "best county public school in the nation" nonsense again.
Enough with the defensiveness already. Are the natives so defensive that they can not accept ideas from outside sources?
Give me a break.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexWolfpacker View Post
as you can see above, what we've come to is a handfull of folks from NY and NJ are going to "fix" our school system. they're going to straighten out what was recognized as one of the best county school systems in the nation

what would we do without them?

Old 06-27-2010, 07:13 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,024,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
The real answer was impact fees so no bonds would be needed. Let those creating the demand pay up front to save debt service fees.

The busing wastes enormous money on diesel fuel, drivers, and buses. Why flush money.

Magnet schools give poor parents who care about education a place to get it for their children. The loser parents who don't care a rat's patoot just create loser kids that ruin everyone's education.

As a wise old NYPD sergeant once told me about our area in lower Manhattan known as "Alphabet City". You can take the amimals out of the jungle but you can't take the jungle out of the animals.

Preferential magnet status for good but poor parents is what we need not a bunch of troublemakers ruining a good school.

Another NYPD quote that applies here "There are poor people and there are poor excuses for people".

I am no elitist. My wife grew up in a welfare home, but it was clean.
So what are you trying to say and what does this sound like to you the many lurkers reading this thread?

Old 06-27-2010, 07:19 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,024,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
1. Take the kids away and put them in schools like Boys' Town & Girls' Town
to give them a chance.
2. Terminate all government assistance to the loser parents
3. Spay/neuter the loser parents as required to prevent repetition of the
problem

Sounds cruel but it's really the only way to break the cycle if the parents are unable or unwilling to improve.
I am not sure you view of big government being the end all of family involvement would play well with this board of education. Remember they are conservatives and of the smaller not bigger government like you advocate. I suspect they and many others would be against your strategy of increased taxation and a entire federal agency as would be necessary under your plan. You do realize this would require the expansion of social, legal and educational services by government to implement and facilitate such a massive program. Also your notion of spaying and neutering would also create a massive legal need by government along with the cost associated with the medical program. While you may not care about fiscal discipline and the need to limit the scope of government in the family I can assure you there are many who do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary