Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2010, 04:18 PM

1,112 posts, read 2,864,650 times

Advertisements

I see that todays meeting confirms that the School Board is aiming for tighter powers to rein in the power of the new Superintendent. Seems they might struggle to recruit an outstanding schools leader if that level of interference is written into the job specification

Wake school board aims for tighter rein on superintendent's power :: WRAL.com

separately I see that Raleigh mayor Charles Meeker is spoiling for a fight with the Wake County Schools Board with the threat of litigation

Raleigh to review Wake student assignment policy :: WRAL.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2010, 04:45 PM

1,832 posts, read 5,090,427 times
Nice. Nothing like a bunch of part-timers with "real" jobs elsewhere micromanaging the work of someone they hire, one assumes, with faith that person can get the job done.

Old 06-24-2010, 05:33 PM

4,532 posts, read 8,870,575 times
Yep, yet another outrageous move by the new board in their quest to remake our school system.

Neither Tedesco nor Margiotti have held positions which would prepare them for this job....the problem is, they don't realize this.

I'm looking forward to the day these clowns get run or taken out of office!

Good for Mayor Meeker, I'm glad he is standing up and being counted!

I'm sure there will be more installments.......things are only just heating up!

Old 06-24-2010, 05:51 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,243,784 times
I can't comment. My mom said if I can't say anything good about someone that I shouldn't say anything! So...I can't say anything!

Vicki

Old 06-24-2010, 05:52 PM

2,459 posts, read 8,078,162 times
I don't argue with this being a terrible idea if the motivation is racial. I guess I'm just not as sure of that as some are but I've been wrong before.

But it seems like we've just seen the results of being insubordinate in our national politics. It tends to get one fired.

I'm not sure that the mayor of Raleigh belongs in this mix either.

Since the School Board is an elected position and many folks seem to think the election was a fluke - why not a recall petition? Anyone know what the rules are for such?

Frank

Old 06-24-2010, 06:01 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,037,032 times
Perhaps the most significant thing about what the board discussed today is their desire to allow the boy scouts and girl scouts to send materials home in back packs. What they need to realize and if they were members of the state school board association is that there are legal issues associated with this. There are equal access requirements and you can't select which groups you allow and which you don't allow access to your communication systems. This includes the PA system and the distribution of materials.
It becomes all or none and that is why districts usually opt for none. It is a lot like community use of the facilities you need a fair and equitable process that is a level playing field for groups. The PA and materials distributed to students are controversial areas.

Old 06-24-2010, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beermat View Post
I see that todays meeting confirms that the School Board is aiming for tighter powers to rein in the power of the new Superintendent. Seems they might struggle to recruit an outstanding schools leader if that level of interference is written into the job specification

Wake school board aims for tighter rein on superintendent's power :: WRAL.com

separately I see that Raleigh mayor Charles Meeker is spoiling for a fight with the Wake County Schools Board with the threat of litigation

Raleigh to review Wake student assignment policy :: WRAL.com
Does the school board want any one worth their weight to apply? Next they will cut the salary by 30-50%

Old 06-24-2010, 06:12 PM

4,532 posts, read 8,870,575 times
Frank, I'm not sure but I think I heard that the state brd of Education has oversight, and the Govr might be able to intervene....again, only what I've heard, I'm not certain.

Old 06-24-2010, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighLass View Post
Frank, I'm not sure but I think I heard that the state brd of Education has oversight, and the Govr might be able to intervene....again, only what I've heard, I'm not certain.
Much of school funding in North Carolina comes from the state. Transportation money and the better part of salaries.

Old 06-24-2010, 06:54 PM

3,307 posts, read 8,560,653 times
They haven't even changed anything yet and Meeker is threntening to sue? A little pre-mautre in my option. Wait to see what they do first. Why is it that all of the sudden community schools in Wake county has become a "race" issue, yet every other major school system in this country does things in a similar fashion as to what the new school board has proposed? Is every school board out there racist? Get a grip people. Our school system has not been as good as people make it out to seem. Let's see what ideas they propose and if it doesn't work out, then we can see what happens.

Why does everyone think this is a racial issue?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary