Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2012, 07:01 AM

387 posts, read 1,047,365 times

Advertisements

I have several nice children's coats my kids have outgrown, and I would like to sell them. They are name brand, Land's End and Gap. I also have a few other nice clothing items to sell. I have tried to trade with other consignment stores in the area and felt ripped off, and don't want to go to the trouble of Kid's Exchange (which isn't until January anyway). I have not tried to sell to Once Upon a Child yet. Can anyone tell me if they felt they received a fair value for their items? If not, I would rather try to sell on Craigslist or just flat out give the coats to the poor. We could use a little extra money but I don't like getting taken advantage of. Thanks for any advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2012, 08:27 AM

22,708 posts, read 36,905,093 times
Never been to the one here, but went to one in NY once. Not worth the trip. If it's nearby give it a shot, if not it's not worth it. IMHO. They also cap the brands they sell so you might show up one day and have them say "we aren't taking any more Lands End (or whatever) right now" ... so you might call first.

Old 09-01-2012, 05:35 PM

118 posts, read 276,635 times
I have found that they pretty much all pay about the same for clothing, so I would just sell to whichever store is closest.

Old 09-01-2012, 06:55 PM

342 posts, read 873,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenncmom View Post
I have several nice children's coats my kids have outgrown, and I would like to sell them. They are name brand, Land's End and Gap. I also have a few other nice clothing items to sell. I have tried to trade with other consignment stores in the area and felt ripped off, and don't want to go to the trouble of Kid's Exchange (which isn't until January anyway). I have not tried to sell to Once Upon a Child yet. Can anyone tell me if they felt they received a fair value for their items? If not, I would rather try to sell on Craigslist or just flat out give the coats to the poor. We could use a little extra money but I don't like getting taken advantage of. Thanks for any advice!
Which one were you thinking about going to? I think there are two around here. Each one could be a little different too, not sure if they are the same owner or not. What other stores have you tried?

Old 09-01-2012, 06:58 PM

932 posts, read 3,100,945 times
I wasn't very impressed either. I sold my kids' nicer things on ebay, that was a few years back, but they sold pretty well.

Old 09-01-2012, 06:58 PM

43,401 posts, read 77,339,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pfish923 View Post
Which one were you thinking about going to? I think there are two around here. Each one could be a little different too, not sure if they are the same owner or not. What other stores have you tried?
Right. It is a franchise operation, from the same people bringing you Play it Again Sports, Plato's Closet, Music Go Round, etc.
Franchise Opportunities and Business Solutions
They may be similar and a little different....

Old 09-02-2012, 09:00 AM

1,337 posts, read 2,212,746 times
I tried the one in my old city prior to moving here and was offered what averaged to .25/piece-I took them all back home. They were all name brand in excellent condition. I tried the consignment sales but its a lot of work ( tagging, taking in, etc) and everything doesnt sell so you have to haul it back home. Craigslist is hit or miss (unless you offer free and everyone wants it-buts its the same people that always respond, so if I donate, I go to Salvation army). Name brands in good condition I sell on ebay now. You get more than rummage or resale prices, and the extra money comes in handy! (I've had my kids lands end winter coats sell for between 10 and 30 dollars).

Old 09-02-2012, 09:47 AM

477 posts, read 1,420,740 times
As far as the coats go, I like participating in the "Coat Swap" at Great Outdoor Provision Co. every fall. You bring in your outgrown coats to donate and they give you 20% off of a new coat. Here is a link to last year's event (it is usually one week in October):

Coat Swap « Great Outdoor Provision Co. Clothing, Apparel and Gear for Camping, Hiking, Paddling, Kayak Fishing, Climbing, Fly Fishing, Running, Disc Golf & Travel

It is easier than eBay, you get more value than Once Upon a Child, and you are helping those in need. Plus, if you don't want to buy an expensive Mountain Hardware or Patagonia jacket for your growing kids, you can donate your kid's coat and use the discount to buy a jacket for yourself.

Old 09-02-2012, 02:06 PM

1,382 posts, read 2,109,330 times
I like Children's Orchard better than Once Upon A Child. I took a few really nice little girl dresses to Once Upon A Child and they offered me peanuts for them. I took them to Children's Orchard and she gave me more $$ for just one dress than the other lady was offering for all of them. They really want you to take store credit and spend your money back in the store.

Old 09-04-2012, 07:13 AM

4,598 posts, read 10,169,142 times
From a buyer's standpoint I went into Once Upon a Child one time and that was enough for me. A lot of the clothes were stained, pilled, etc yet they were charging more than you would pay at other consignment sales/stores in the area. I second the recommendation on Children's Orchard. They seem to carry nicer/cleaner items so I imagine they pay a bit more as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary