Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2010, 11:08 AM

2,541 posts, read 5,474,648 times

Advertisements

If the cars are parked in leiu of available parking space at town hall, I would think that saving the real state costs to provide parking space would be at least equal to the amount of money spent on providing a vehicle for each officer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2010, 11:38 AM

360 posts, read 995,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beermat View Post
Since the robbery at Capital Bank at Carpenter Firestation / Green Level Church there regularly is a Cary Police car parked in the bank parking lot. On a number of ocasions another police car is parked close to the Wachovia Bank across the street adjacent to the Harris Teeter. Seems an expensive method of deterrent to me when these assets could be put to better use. The conclusion must be that Cary Police has far more vehicles than it actually requires.
Whoa, are you implying the city would be wasting hard earned taxpayer $$$? Banish the thought! Surely that would NEVER happen anywhere in the Triangle, hahaha!

Old 06-25-2010, 01:00 PM

9,144 posts, read 14,757,759 times
I am pretty sure that studies have shown that allowing a car to be assigned to one officer rather than be hot swapped to the next guy is much cheaper over the long term in regards to total vehicle costs if you include wear and tear and maintenance costs.

Old 06-25-2010, 05:34 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,028,394 times
Police work off duty security, work out at gyms and their vehicles serve to deter crime. While a thief may not rob the facility where the vehicle is parked they also don't want to commit a crime where the response time may be rapid.

Old 06-25-2010, 06:52 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,100,833 times
I have a Cary Police Officer that lives in my neighborhood and he never brings his car home. I don't think they have take home vehicles.

Old 06-25-2010, 07:00 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,028,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmana View Post
Whoa, are you implying the city would be wasting hard earned taxpayer $$$? Banish the thought! Surely that would NEVER happen anywhere in the Triangle, hahaha!
Hmmm many locals believe that having more cars on the road works effectively as a deterrent. If officers are always charged with obeying the law aren't they effectively on duty when driving to the grocery store if they see a violation of the law? Doesn't that mean they are in a way working without getting paid and saving tax dollars. Potential transplants from the North and Mid Atlantic states think twice about coming to Wake the future standard of life may not be what you think it is going to be. What you are use to up there may be going away down here.

Old 06-25-2010, 07:05 PM

1,967 posts, read 953,779 times
I believe that every mid to large city has a reserve of police cars at their disposal. These cars act as back ups for when patrol cars are in for maintenance and such. I would rather see these cars dispersed over town than having them sitting in some motor pool.

Old 06-28-2010, 03:35 PM

128 posts, read 282,806 times
it would be interesting to see the finacial analysis for this as the financing cost is surely got to be greater than the cost of extra oil and tyre changes. Having said that I think it is a good idea that the cruisers are parked in highly visible locations that act as a deterrent potential criminals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
I am pretty sure that studies have shown that allowing a car to be assigned to one officer rather than be hot swapped to the next guy is much cheaper over the long term in regards to total vehicle costs if you include wear and tear and maintenance costs.

Old 06-28-2010, 03:52 PM

1,168 posts, read 2,503,310 times
The Cary Police Department does not have a take home car program (where officers can take the marked vehicles home at the end of their shift) like other police departments. Usually 2 different officers (one day shift, one night shift) share the same marked vehicle. The CPD has arrangements with local buisnesses to leave the vehicles in the parking lot to 1-deter crime and 2-have the car at a centralized localion for both officers using the vehicle.

Old 03-07-2018, 09:06 AM

1 posts, read 630 times
I am glad to see others are questioning why and where patrol cars not in used are parked.

Right after the Florida school shooting I email the Cary chief of police, suggesting patrol cars be parked during school hours near the main entrance of each school to dissuade anyone from seeking to do harm from approaching the school. His reply was they do have additional vehicles.

Upon speaking with an officer I learned Cary has about 120 patrol cars, one for each officer. When not in use they are parked throughout the town by banks and super markets, away from the entrance. He also told me they are moved to locations upon request of businesses or other requests.

I am not sure if any are also parked by schools. We have 16 public and 4 private schools, which should all have patrol cars parked at their entrances.

Each should have a patrol car at the front entrance during school hours and after if the school have an event scheduled. Also, school resource officers should be in uniform, and renamed school SECURITY officers. Lastly, eliminate the “gun free zones”, a ‘sugar pill’ that does nothing to protect schools, only embolden those with criminal intent of their minds. Feedback [email]ajbruno14@gmail.com[/email]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary