Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2007, 09:25 AM

3,031 posts, read 9,088,319 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
LOL
Too soon for a well-deserved point.

I did it for ya, Mike.

Old 09-17-2007, 09:36 AM

693 posts, read 2,761,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moi View Post
I feel for you!! I moved to Chapel Hill with my husband so that he could attend business school at UNC. The plan was that we would be here for 2 years and then -- outta here! But, we are still here. My husband found a job here that he loves and I went along with it thinking it would be temporary. I do not like this area because there is not enough natural beauty on a large scale within an hour's drive. I'm from Princeton, NJ and miss having the Appalachian Trail 40 minutes away, the beach 50 minutes away, the Delaware River 10 minutes away, and the beauty of old stone buildings and actual SEASONS, like Winter, which is sporadic here in central NC. One year we'll have a crippling ice storm and lose power for a week (and then nothing else), and the next year not a single flake of snow. This area is supremely PLEASANT. Read: boring. Sorry! I'm just not from here so don't quite get it. Also, I am disturbed by the occasional Confederate flag at the top of a flagpole or being waved by some guy from the back of a truck. Very disturbing. I am definitely moving north in the next 2 years. STAY IN AUSTIN.
Yours-
Moi
Good luck with your move back. Perhaps you could arrange to move sooner, before 2 years?

Old 09-17-2007, 10:45 AM

213 posts, read 936,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moi View Post
I feel for you!! I moved to Chapel Hill with my husband so that he could attend business school at UNC. The plan was that we would be here for 2 years and then -- outta here! But, we are still here. My husband found a job here that he loves and I went along with it thinking it would be temporary. I do not like this area because there is not enough natural beauty on a large scale within an hour's drive. I'm from Princeton, NJ and miss having the Appalachian Trail 40 minutes away, the beach 50 minutes away, the Delaware River 10 minutes away, and the beauty of old stone buildings and actual SEASONS, like Winter, which is sporadic here in central NC. One year we'll have a crippling ice storm and lose power for a week (and then nothing else), and the next year not a single flake of snow. This area is supremely PLEASANT. Read: boring. Sorry! I'm just not from here so don't quite get it. Also, I am disturbed by the occasional Confederate flag at the top of a flagpole or being waved by some guy from the back of a truck. Very disturbing. I am definitely moving north in the next 2 years. STAY IN AUSTIN.
Yours-
Moi
I hate that you have to wait 2 years. I have to wait 6 more months to move back. My current lease does not end until March 1. Six months seems like forever. Can't imagine what 2 years would make me feel like.

Old 09-17-2007, 10:47 AM

693 posts, read 2,761,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gamsauer View Post
I hate that you have to wait 2 years. I have to wait 6 more months to move back. My current lease does not end until March 1. Six months seems like forever. Can't imagine what 2 years would make me feel like.
Leases can be broken or if you REALLY want to go back just pay the extra months and go.

Old 09-17-2007, 01:05 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,165,301 times
"...so this has to be said here - the level of ignorance in North Carolina about Texas and what's there and who's there is downright nauseating."

I have lived in Houston and I have lived in Raleigh. I would say that there is more ignorance in Houston about Raleigh than vice versa. I can't speak from experience for the rest of the two states.
I'll add that if Texas doesn't want others to think badly or incorrectly about it, stop sending politicians like Dubya to "represent".

Old 09-24-2007, 09:51 PM

2,407 posts, read 10,680,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brenda9417 View Post
Overpriced homes with beaters in the driveway (a sign of people who work to simply pay the house payment),
I missed part of this thread, but what does that mean? Does one need to have a brand new black mercedes in the driveway to match with the so-called overpriced homes?

Old 09-25-2007, 05:21 AM

6 posts, read 13,520 times
Default Why oh Why

My first question would be why are you relocating from Austin to NC period let alone the triangle area in particular. My guess is job related.

My wife and I on the other hand left this area 16 years ago and have spent the last 16 in Chicago and have decided to come home. While there is a lot of validity to your statements, this is the south and like it or not, change is slow.

Yes the housing is overpriced but we have the developers to thank for that who gobble up every square foot of land and chop it up into postage stamp size lots and throw up houses that will last maybe 15 years before it will be time for major repairs.

And yes there is homelessness and the people do not have a place to go and that is life. It happens and but by the grace of God it could happen to anyone.

And yes there are people walking down the streets because the public transportation system is all but non-existent unlike Chicago where the last three years there I worked downtown and took a bus or the subway to work because it was so darned convenient and cheaper than parking.

I like you am looking for the bike trails and or hiking trails as well as places where local artist might be performing or showing their work. I am sure it is here, but I have only been back 1-1/2 months.

But I think the major difference is we came back for the peace and solitude and you are relocating expecting to find everything you left behind. It is called compromise and if you are not willing to do so, stay put or you will be miserable.

Old 09-25-2007, 05:57 AM

180 posts, read 662,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jinxor View Post
I missed part of this thread, but what does that mean? Does one need to have a brand new black mercedes in the driveway to match with the so-called overpriced homes?
No one wants to be house strapped. We have friends in Baltimore who have dipped into their emergency savings just to stay afloat. It's best to stay under budget when you are purchasing a new home...don't depend on that "future raise" that may never happen!!!

Old 09-25-2007, 11:01 AM

403 posts, read 930,037 times
Hmm..I think the OP is trolling here. I mean, yes, if you're from Chicago or NYC or Boston I can see it appearing slow here. However, Austin (although growing) is essentially an overgrown college town. Honestly, it's actual "twin" in my book is Madison, WI. Neat little bohemian city with a lot of liberal leaning folk and a good literary/music/artistic scene. I think Chapel Hill or Durham would easily fit the bill for that around here. I think most who are willing to look for things here rather than moan would not be disappointed.

Old 10-01-2007, 02:56 PM

232 posts, read 728,639 times
brenda9417

What is wrong with having a beater? Seriously, you can have a PHD and drive a beater you know. In addition, I used to work in downtown Boston, and there were homeless folks everywhere. There are homeless in every state- do you think Austin is just exclusive to this? Or just the folks in Austin don't drive beaters? I am so surprised hearing this coming from a highly educated person
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary