Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2010, 09:35 AM

633 posts, read 1,164,447 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
I just have a question that I hope some of you could answer for me. We are trying to get all of our ducks in a row to be moved down there by July 2011! From reading threads here, it has occured to me that with it being so very hot in the summer where do the kids play? If not outside, where? Do you use your community pools? I read somewhere on city-data that the water in the pool can be 92 degrees. That's very
different from here where water is in the 60's and too cold a lot of the time. What do the teenagers do? Do they hang out indoors? Where I live, kids do not play outside, not because of heat but I am assuming they sit in front of video games (my younger kids are 5 and 6 and don't have any). Teenagers hang out at the movies and not so much at the mall. Punks hang on the corners, but good kids really have no where do go here. Can anyone fill me in? Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2010, 09:50 AM

251 posts, read 514,940 times
Mine play indoors during the heat of the day. It's just too hot to get out there when it's 100 degrees + some days....later in the afternoon, as the sun goes down, they go outside. We go the Marbles (the children's museum), bounce houses, play dates, and some of the other museums downtown when it's really hot and we don't want to stay home to play. My 3 children are younger. My oldest is 5 and I also have twins who are 20m and still nap, so our time is limited. I never stray from their schedule...it makes life easier when you're outnumbered.

Old 06-28-2010, 09:56 AM

5,742 posts, read 17,594,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SINY2NC View Post
From reading threads here, it has occured to me that with it being so very hot in the summer where do the kids play?
Look at it from another perspective. . . .

It has occurred to me that with it being so very cold in the winter where you are currently living, where do the kids play?

My point is. . . when I was a kid, we played outside when it was freezing cold and when it was burning hot and when it was pouring down rain etc.. The adults stood inside and looked out the windows at us saying "How can they possibly play outside in that weather?"

Old 06-28-2010, 10:41 AM

4,477 posts, read 11,614,607 times
I saw kids out riding their bikes this weekend, in the middle of the day. So I guess the answer is - they play outside! Or probably down at our community pool.

Old 06-28-2010, 10:49 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,813,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewUser View Post
My point is. . . when I was a kid, we played outside when it was freezing cold and when it was burning hot and when it was pouring down rain etc.. The adults stood inside and looked out the windows at us saying "How can they possibly play outside in that weather?"
True--sort of an "emperor's new clothes" kind of thing: they don't know it's "too hot/too cold" until you tell them! When kids want to play, they will do it.

It's hard to say what "kids do" since they all have their own things going on--I suspect many are doing day camp/drama class/etc kinds of things, others are at friends' houses, others go to pools, whatever. I grew up here and all of the above applied to me--and the options are tenfold now.

Old 06-28-2010, 11:06 AM

2,834 posts, read 12,030,382 times
For us, my girls are both in year round elementary school, so they go on break starting on wednesday............we will have 4 weeks off. Since our pool opened we tend to go to the pool after school, and when they have time off, we will go to the pool during the day, go bowling, go to a museum, hang out with friends, but the majority of the time will be spent at the pool. There seem to be a number of tweeners and teens at our pool (it is not a neighborhood pool, but a pool people can join), so it seems they have the same idea. There are year round middle schools also, so that probably impacts the kids as well.

Leigh

Old 06-28-2010, 11:28 AM

151 posts, read 462,580 times
My best advice, if you haven't bought a house look for one with lots of shade. our kids play in the shade all the time without too much trouble -- give 'em a hose and they're set. Also, we go to the beach in Falls Lake or we drive down to wrightsville beach in wilmington.

Old 06-28-2010, 11:52 AM

116 posts, read 366,688 times
My kids will play outside during the morning/evening. During the heat of the day (10am to 5pm) they either play at the pool or indoors. Some of this also may because they are young and need my (or my wife's) help.

Old 06-28-2010, 11:55 AM

6,297 posts, read 16,089,036 times
Reality:

Younger kids: Pool or indoors

Older kids: Pool or video games

My kids went to day camp all the time, and on weekends, we went to museums and events.

I don't see ANY kids outside playing. It's hot as heck right now. I just got back from Crabtree Mall and drove back streets, through neighborhoods, to get home. I did not see ONE child anywhere. Traditional calendar school has ended, and at least one "track" in year-round school is out.

It's too hot for most kids to play outside.

Last edited by lovebrentwood; 06-28-2010 at 12:25 PM..

Old 06-28-2010, 11:56 AM

3,929 posts, read 2,951,705 times
Outside! Loads to do outside. For us it's letterboxing, geocaching, riding bikes, hiking, playing frisbee, hanging with the dog, music in the park, going for walks and anything we can pretty much outdoors!

I hate being inside! Unless I'm crafting or working of course!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary