Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2007, 08:03 AM

21 posts, read 56,156 times

Advertisements

I am not criticizing in any way here, I am from NY and unable to get down to NC to do hands on research so I am trying to get as much facts and personal information as possible. I see on a lot of websites and have heard that b/c of the overcrowding students are being taught out of trailers. What size are these trailers? How does a Kindergartener have an educational enviornment in one? What about the resouces of a regular school enviornment...library, art, music, computer room, resource room, lunch room, gym? Do they have playgrounds? I have yet to call individual schools which is my next step I would also like some parent/teacher comments and feed back as well. TIA

Last edited by Stephanie3; 06-20-2007 at 08:05 AM.. Reason: add word
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2007, 09:25 AM

615 posts, read 1,503,519 times
I am a teacher in NJ and we've had overcrowding issues in my town and have had to use the trailers. My daughter attended Kindergarten in one. They are actually VERY nice...much bigger than a classroom with air conditioning(The main school building had no air), bathrooms, sinks etc. And they are placed in back of the school so the kids just walk over(with the teacher) for gym, art etc. THey are so big they can make a seperate area in each classroom for a lunch area(picnic tables) so they don't have to use the main cafeteria. Each individual trailer is "connected' to other trailers via wooden walkways..sort of like a mini-boardwalk.

I don't think the quality of edcuation suffers when teachers have to use the trailers.

Old 06-20-2007, 09:27 AM

198 posts, read 910,347 times
When I was in fifth grade back in Omaha, Nebraska in 1980's we had trailers in the back. It was the same as a classroom, had A/C and it was 'cool' to have class there. Nothing else changes, our specials, etc were still in the school, and it was just a short walk to go back inside the main building. Trailers are surely not a new thing.

Old 06-20-2007, 09:28 AM

959 posts, read 4,493,348 times
I've seen trailer classrooms that are bigger than both kindergarten classrooms my 6yo has been in They're often nicer than the rooms in the actual building b/c they're newer I guess the only disadvantage would be getting wet in the case of rain when walking to the main building.

Old 06-20-2007, 10:01 AM

709 posts, read 935,116 times
A trailer is a trailer, substitute taught in one yesterday. They are a poor excuse for a classroom. That said pay more taxes and build more schools or go all year round. You cannot have it both ways.

Old 06-20-2007, 10:12 AM

648 posts, read 2,980,553 times
I have heard that trailers are actually very nice, even better than the classrooms in the campuses they are on. But should we worry about the disconnect they cause for the students, and more so the teachers being separated from the "real school" and all the common areas the original poster referred to? (Teach07 mentioned a good experience, even preferable to the main school)

Also, what happens to them after they're used? Are they moved to another campus with an overcrowding issue?

Old 06-20-2007, 10:18 AM

8,269 posts, read 25,106,298 times
My daughter was in a trailer in the second grade and actually we kind of liked it. It was a new trailer and bigger than some of the traditional classrooms. They have their own AC and heating units and was very nice. It had everything in it that the other classrooms had. They were carpeted with large windows and equipt with computers, dry erase boards, book shelves, desks etc. It was located right outside the school's back door so they weren't any further away from the other common areas than anyone else. They were quieter there was less distraction.

Old 06-20-2007, 10:34 AM

1,268 posts, read 2,331,881 times
Well, having gone through school in S FL, where every school has trailers or "portables" out back, there is nothing to be alarmed about in my opinion. It is a classroom, just a longer walk to the main building for the cafeteria, gym, music, technology, and art classes located there. The elementary schools around here, I've found are set up with seperate buildings anyway, the main buidings are split up; with a couple grades in one building, the office/ gym/ cafeteria in another building, and a few more grades in another. These children have to walk to get to the main building for their extra classes also. I personally see no problem with it. If it allows for the children to be taught in a smaller environment rather than being piled into one classroom with too many children for the teachers I am all for it.

Old 06-20-2007, 11:31 AM

1,364 posts, read 6,022,601 times
Correct me if I'm wrong here, but trailer is a bit of an overstatement of the facts here.

We are talking about mobile/portable classrooms, not actual TRAILERS. Sure, they are brought onto campus on a trailer, but the unit itself is a modular classroom.

The way some are talking about this, I feel like you're picturing shoving 25 kids into a winnebago.

Old 06-20-2007, 11:37 AM

150 posts, read 599,236 times
Very funny sneezecake - picturing the Winnebago!!!! You are correct that the pc term is indeed modular classrooms! I have been in a few and they are not bad at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary