Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2010, 09:59 AM

72 posts, read 135,499 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

I'm very much interested in relocating to Raleigh. I'm presently in the DC metro area; however, I have an excellent opportunity to work in the research triangle. My salary would be in the range of 80-90K, and the best part is, it's a permanent federal position. It offers great job security, and health benefits, which is especially important during this period of economic uncertainty.

My one reservation is, I do not have any family or friends in the NC area. Also, I am single, therefore I would have to make this move alone. I imagine it would be difficult because Raleigh is very family oriented (there aren't too many single/professional men around).

But on a brighter note:
One positive observation is, my standard of living would significantly improve. I could afford a nice home, and plenty of yard space. I love the idea of gardening. Also, I am looking for more greenery and just a slower pace of life. I know that sounds funny, given my age, but still, I seriously want out of the rat race in the DC metro area.

Also, I love to travel (at least twice a year) out of the country. I imagine that if I relocated to NC, I would have even more money to travel.

Please share your thoughts...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2010, 08:01 PM

23 posts, read 99,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eboni_Kisses26 View Post
Hi All,

I'm very much interested in relocating to Raleigh. I'm presently in the DC metro area; however, I have an excellent opportunity to work in the research triangle. My salary would be in the range of 80-90K, and the best part is, it's a permanent federal position. It offers great job security, and health benefits, which is especially important during this period of economic uncertainty.

My one reservation is, I do not have any family or friends in the NC area. Also, I am single, therefore I would have to make this move alone. I imagine it would be difficult because Raleigh is very family oriented (there aren't too many single/professional men around).

But on a brighter note:
One positive observation is, my standard of living would significantly improve. I could afford a nice home, and plenty of yard space. I love the idea of gardening. Also, I am looking for more greenery and just a slower pace of life. I know that sounds funny, given my age, but still, I seriously want out of the rat race in the DC metro area.

Also, I love to travel (at least twice a year) out of the country. I imagine that if I relocated to NC, I would have even more money to travel.

I'd suggest Do something, Learn something, Share something, Change something - Meetup.com and look in Raleigh. I didn't have a problem meeting single young professionals if that's your only reservation. Besides it's the research triangle...plenty of single educated men and women work there and live in the Raleigh/Durham area. Guess it depends on what your interests are outside of work...but Raleigh isn't all 40 year old people with families.

Old 07-06-2010, 08:51 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,219,613 times
80-90K--depending on what you want to spend on housing--will provide you with a lot of $$ for traveling.

Between us we gross 50-65K and though we are not international travelers, we have the $$ to travel nationally and around the state every weekend.

Old 07-06-2010, 04:34 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,824,929 times
Quote:
There are plenty of single men here--oh, you probably mean straight men!

No, be aware that we have three top-notch universities in the Triangle, pumping out new grads every year, many whom stay in the area. Some of those are even single, professional, heterosexual men!

Old 07-06-2010, 10:14 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,162,317 times
If anyone wants to find singles in the Triangle, my advice is to live where they live. If you buy a house in the suburbs, you are going to be surrounded by more families. If you move into the city, you are more likely to meet singles in your every day life. My personal experience in the Triangle is not family oriented at all. However, I live in DT Raleigh...not in a suburban family neighborhood.
You shouldn't have a problem at all with meeting people in Raleigh.

Old 07-07-2010, 08:02 AM

375 posts, read 1,143,600 times
There are plenty of young, single, professional guys around -as long as you don't mind computer nerds. =0) There are a number in the communities around the park, or in the apartments/townhomes in Brier Creek. They also stay downtown or near their college so that they can still rent out a room and bank $$.

They can be found/met at the bars and clubs downtown, adult kickball leagues, meetup groups, college sporting events... just about anywhere.

It sounds like a great opportunity to me. I say take the offer and move on down! As long as you make an effort to meet people, you'll have new friends (and potentially a date or two!) within no time.

Old 07-07-2010, 08:30 PM

Thanks for the feedback. I'm looking forward to moving down to Raleigh!

Old 07-09-2010, 05:43 AM

24 posts, read 54,105 times
I know I'm late in responding but may I say with so many people moving INTO this area you won't have any trouble meeting people (as long as you make an effort too). There are so many here in the same situation (left family & friends) who also are looking to meet people. Check out LinkedIn (Linking Raleigh - or tweet ups - great places to start! oh and Welcome to the Triangle!!! Congrats on the new job!!

Old 07-09-2010, 05:59 AM

6,297 posts, read 16,095,324 times
Are you looking specifically for African-American men? I ask only because of your username.

My tall, beautiful, funny, educated, elegant African-American friend here in Raleigh is having a heckuva time meeting anyone. It breaks my heart to see her continue seeing men who are clearly not right for her. When she describes yet another one, I tell her, "RUN!!!"

She's tried all the usual ways to meet people.

If my assumption about the OP is correct, perhaps others can give the OP and my friend ideas for meeting eligible African-American men. (I'll pass them along to her.)

Quote:
Hi All,

But on a brighter note:

Old 07-16-2010, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
Are you looking specifically for African-American men? I ask only because of your username.

My tall, beautiful, funny, educated, elegant African-American friend here in Raleigh is having a heckuva time meeting anyone. It breaks my heart to see her continue seeing men who are clearly not right for her. When she describes yet another one, I tell her, "RUN!!!"

She's tried all the usual ways to meet people.

If my assumption about the OP is correct, perhaps others can give the OP and my friend ideas for meeting eligible African-American men. (I'll pass them along to her.)
Truthfully, the guy's racial background doesn't matter to me; however, I'm sure race does matter to a lot of non-black guys, especially in the south. But regardless, I will continue to keep an open mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary