Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2013, 08:50 AM

18,052 posts, read 15,639,191 times

Advertisements

I can no longer get a signal to channel 11 abc or 45 (abc) . The picture is so bad. I have an outside antenna with booster. Used to get a somewhat decent signal until about 8 months ago. Antenna is mounted secure as ever. All other channels come in perfectly. I'm in the 27513 zip. So frustrating.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2013, 05:40 AM

11,221 posts, read 8,292,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
I can no longer get a signal to channel 11 abc or 45 (abc) . The picture is so bad. I have an outside antenna with booster. Used to get a somewhat decent signal until about 8 months ago. Antenna is mounted secure as ever. All other channels come in perfectly. I'm in the 27513 zip. So frustrating.
I'm in 27511 and getting it just fine. Sounds like yours is not digital (eg: "Picture is bad", because digital is either perfect, or breaking up horribly, or not at all).

If you haven't gotten a Mohu Leaf, that is a good investment. I got mine based on this thread and am very happy. $40, and made right here in Raleigh.

Old 10-21-2013, 08:46 AM

Why would I need yet another antenna when I already have a high powered external antenna and booster on my house (and cabled into my hdtv)? I should be able to receive all the local channels. In fact I did but abc has never been as strong as the others even with careful tuning. Now it's choppy on a live signal. However, upon recording through my Tivo dvr, I can often get a decent picture on abc. But live tv abc is choppy.

Old 10-21-2013, 12:58 PM

4,160 posts, read 4,872,068 times
Quote:
Why would I need yet another antenna when I already have a high powered external antenna and booster on my house (and cabled into my hdtv)? I should be able to receive all the local channels. In fact I did but abc has never been as strong as the others even with careful tuning. Now it's choppy on a live signal. However, upon recording through my Tivo dvr, I can often get a decent picture on abc. But live tv abc is choppy.
The booster may no longer be working properly....what kind do you have? How long are your cable runs from the antenna to the TV's? Have you checked the physical and electrical integrity of the cable connectors? All of these things can cause signal loss degradation which in turn affects the ability to receive the station. The outdoor antenna could have been moved slightly by a strong wind which changed the azimuth from where it once was back eight months ago.

Old 12-04-2015, 10:29 PM

19 posts, read 24,370 times
Can someone explain why the signal for the triangle area affiliates are great for every station except nbc (wncn)? From what I can tell their tower is no further outside of town than any of the other major broadcast channels. I've recently relocated to the area (Apex) and seem to get every channel fine except for the 17's. This especially sucks for me since I pretty much only watch sports and late night tv. James Corden is so horrible I usually switch to Seth Meyers after Colbert, but the signal is so bad I rarely get a watchable signal. In fact, from what I can tell there is not really a legitimate NBC broadcaster for the area, which is strange to me. The tower that broadcasts ION is also apparently way outside of town, and I cannot get that channel either, but I wouldn't lose too much sleep over that (although qubo would be nice for the kids). Anyway, is there something that I'm not aware of, as a transplant to the area? Is the signal this bad all over town? If it's this bad in Apex, I can't imagine how people in Durham are supposed to pick this up.

Old 12-05-2015, 05:07 AM

4,639 posts, read 6,376,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NikkiBO View Post
Can someone explain why the signal for the triangle area affiliates are great for every station except nbc (wncn)? From what I can tell their tower is no further outside of town than any of the other major broadcast channels. I've recently relocated to the area (Apex) and seem to get every channel fine except for the 17's. This especially sucks for me since I pretty much only watch sports and late night tv. James Corden is so horrible I usually switch to Seth Meyers after Colbert, but the signal is so bad I rarely get a watchable signal. In fact, from what I can tell there is not really a legitimate NBC broadcaster for the area, which is strange to me. The tower that broadcasts ION is also apparently way outside of town, and I cannot get that channel either, but I wouldn't lose too much sleep over that (although qubo would be nice for the kids). Anyway, is there something that I'm not aware of, as a transplant to the area? Is the signal this bad all over town? If it's this bad in Apex, I can't imagine how people in Durham are supposed to pick this up.
WNCN's transmitter power is 291 KW. WRAL's, for comparison, is 1,000 KW. You may need to adjust your antenna, or get a better antenna.

Old 12-05-2015, 07:55 PM

For me it's the ABC affiliate (Channel 7 and 45) that I have the most problems with. The other channels come in just fine. The ABC channel has like a 50 - 60% signal strength. I had my antenna professionally installed a few years ago up on the side of my house, with a signal booster, and it is using the coaxial cables that were already installed. Every channel except ABC is fine. Ironically though when I Tivo/DVR a program on the ABC channel, it records fine. But the live broadcast is wonky half the time.

Old 12-05-2015, 11:59 PM

19 posts, read 24,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinadawg2 View Post
WNCN's transmitter power is 291 KW. WRAL's, for comparison, is 1,000 KW. You may need to adjust your antenna, or get a better antenna.
I guess I just simply can't wrap my head around this. This is the only transmitter for a major broadcast channel in a tri-city metropolis of over 2 million and they can't do better than this? Why haven't the villagers assembled with torches and pitchforks yet?

Old 12-06-2015, 04:50 AM

4,639 posts, read 6,376,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NikkiBO View Post
I guess I just simply can't wrap my head around this. This is the only transmitter for a major broadcast channel in a tri-city metropolis of over 2 million and they can't do better than this? Why haven't the villagers assembled with torches and pitchforks yet?
Probably because less than 20% of people nationally get their tv over the air, and I'd guess the percentage is much lower in the Raleigh area.

Old 12-06-2015, 06:14 AM

612 posts, read 1,279,674 times
Quote:
For me it's the ABC affiliate (Channel 7 and 45) that I have the most problems with. The other channels come in just fine. The ABC channel has like a 50 - 60% signal strength. I had my antenna professionally installed a few years ago up on the side of my house, with a signal booster, and it is using the coaxial cables that were already installed. Every channel except ABC is fine. Ironically though when I Tivo/DVR a program on the ABC channel, it records fine. But the live broadcast is wonky half the time.
ABC wtvd is channel 11.1 OTA for me. I've lived in three different cities in the triangle, over 13 years now, and it's always been 11.1 too, so it seems strange to me that it would be 7 and 45 for you? Maybe that's part of the issue? A quick google search showed that there is an ABC 45 wxlv in Greensboro. Maybe you're getting that signal and it's weak from this distance? Of course, I guess that would be obvious if the news on that station was all Greensboro stuff. Hmm... I don't know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary