Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 07:23 AM

1,886 posts, read 4,817,688 times

Advertisements

I will respectfully offer up that when Triangle residents who live outside Brier Creek refer to that area it is usually with reference to the shopping component as opposed to the residential component.
It's a nice place to live with great highway and airport access. There really isn't any area of Cary that offers the same combination of housing/shopping/dining elements in close proximity to one another.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2010, 08:26 AM

6,297 posts, read 16,102,859 times
True. I have a good friend who lives there, and I visit often. I also prefer going to Duke doctors in the area (as needed) so I don't have to go to their Durham offices. So I know it's much more than a shopping area. But comparing it to Cary seems apples to oranges. Cary is a town/small city. Brier Creek is an area within a much larger city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funky Chicken View Post
I will respectfully offer up that when Triangle residents who live outside Brier Creek refer to that area it is usually with reference to the shopping component as opposed to the residential component.
It's a nice place to live with great highway and airport access. There really isn't any area of Cary that offers the same combination of housing/shopping/dining elements in close proximity to one another.

Old 07-12-2010, 08:21 PM

6,825 posts, read 9,067,556 times
Living in Brier Creek, I like how it feels close to Durham. I think no one would argue that Durham is the most ethnically diverse city in the Triangle. It is about 50% African American. I'm not sure what percentage is Latino. Durham also happens to have a great university and some fantastic attractions, including the Sarah Duke Gardens, which are absolutely amazing. They also have the Durham Performing Arts Center (DPAC), the Bulls ballpark, lots of restaurants etc. I can get to the Duke campus in 20-30 min.

Living in Cary wasn't an option for my partner and me, because he works in north Durham. I have come to really enjoy the feeling of being in the middle of things here in Brier Creek. I really think that if I lived in Cary I would rarely go to Durham as much as I do now.

Old 07-13-2010, 08:49 AM

3 posts, read 2,052 times
Hello

Because you said cost of living is somewhat of a factor for you, have you looked into Holly Springs, it neighbors Cary and overlaps Cary in soem areas. It was voted #22 in Money Magazines best places to live in the country and is scenic like Cary with a little less congestion. You can get a home there for about $50k less than in Cary.

Moderator cut: Advertising is NOT allowed on this site!

Brier Creek is one of the nicest developments in the area, but it is a prime location and you pay top dollar there for convenience to strip malls and RTP. I really liked it there, but i did not feel that it was worth it to have a smaller home and lot just to be close to TJ Maxx and Uno Pizza.

Holly Springs is predominantly families too. There are homes from condos to $1m+ golf course homes. There is close recreation for kids , including little gyms, mommy and me class, a brand new ymca with pools and slides, playgrounds, family type restaurants, etc.
I hope this all helps, best of luck.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 07-13-2010 at 09:33 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary