Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 08:17 AM

215 posts, read 607,147 times

Advertisements

I'm paying $110 a month for their basic cable and internet and it seems everyone around me is paying like $120ish for their digital cable and the highest internet package they got. Am I getting overcharged or am I just wishing they had faster internet?

7mbps down, 300kbps up sucks for live streaming and crap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2010, 08:22 AM

1,231 posts, read 3,150,173 times
check the prices here: Pricing & Packaging | Time Warner Cable | East (http://www.timewarnercable.com/East/shop/pricing.html - broken link)

Old 07-12-2010, 08:28 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,219,613 times
We have the digital cable package and (I think) the second level internet connection for $110--with a 2 year "contract."

Old 07-12-2010, 08:37 AM

375 posts, read 1,143,529 times
In most cases people with the digital tier/boxes are paying less because of promotional pricing, 2 year contracts, or they called and had their bill reduced. I know that when our promotional pricing ends, our bill will shoot up from $100 to almost $200/month. At that point we'll either lower it again or switch companies.

Old 07-12-2010, 08:55 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,938,023 times
How does one know what level of internet service you have? I've had TWC's internet for years, and with their bundled bills, it doesn't really tell me what level I have - I'm sort of curious.

Old 07-12-2010, 09:05 AM

Haven't thought about the promotions and all. My grandparents have like 1000 channels or some package like that from them and their paying ~$220/mo for phone, tv, internet.

And TWC says their internet only goes up to 10mbps down, how the hell is my co-worker getting 24mbps down, 3mbps up with the same level internet from them as I get o.o

Old 07-12-2010, 09:07 AM

776 posts, read 1,684,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
How does one know what level of internet service you have? I've had TWC's internet for years, and with their bundled bills, it doesn't really tell me what level I have - I'm sort of curious.
They might be able to tell you. I think the slower speeds are specifically called Roadrunner Lite or Basic.

Or you might be able to find out by doing a Speedtest here. If you're getting speeds that cap at 7...then you likely have the standard Roadrunner 7.0 service. If it goes above that, you likely have the faster service. And if it doesn't go over 1.5 mbps...then likely have Lite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryceE
And TWC says their internet only goes up to 10mbps down, how the hell is my co-worker getting 24mbps down, 3mbps up with the same level internet from them as I get o.o
The 10.0 mbps plan may also come with TWC's speedboost...which means that you're guaranteed to get up to 10 mbps...but with speedboost (or whatever it's called) you can experience faster speeds when uploading/downloading or on occasions.

Old 07-12-2010, 09:08 AM

360 posts, read 995,671 times
I guess they are only charging what they can squeeze out of their customers without too many people complaining I am tired of it though, and am going to install playon onto my Wii (I have Netflix streaming too) and dump TW cable, I'll still need the internet but at least there are a few companies competing for my business and I am currently paying $30 a month for internet only which I can live with I'd probably stay with TW Cable, but when I first got hooked up the installer apparently made a mistake and gave us the 2nd tier service, but then we had a problem with the wire coming into the house and the guy they sent to repair it disconnected the extra channels I liked some of the shows on the extra channels, but don't watch TV enough to justify actually paying for them! I wish there was a way to just pay for basic, and add extra individual channels you want to watch for a modest fee per channel, but that would make too much sense........

Old 07-12-2010, 09:15 AM

Only other channel my grandparents get that I wish I had was G4TV. They just added another dvr to their bedroom to lol.

But, really, I need a faster internet so bad, but there's no one else around here that can offer it. God I wished Google was doing their experiment there instead of in Topeka .

Old 07-12-2010, 09:38 AM

1,877 posts, read 5,343,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BryceE View Post
God I wished Google was doing their experiment there instead of in Topeka .
What are you talking about?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary