Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2010, 05:31 AM

1,515 posts, read 6,983,517 times

Advertisements

I also just want to add, I have yet to find a great parking area for Wrightsville beach. I love it as much as the next person but in my humble opinion, unless you are staying at a hotel there, its not a great place to just find a quick parking lot that is free, much less with restrooms. If anyone else can fill me in on a great place, would love to hear it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2010, 06:18 AM

1,501 posts, read 1,727,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrickhead28 View Post
I actually second this. I'm guessing the original poster just wants a day trip?

Head to Kure Beach but more specifically, Fort Fisher. There is the one great section that has a HUGE parking lot, free parking. I've been going there for about 15 years and never had a problem finding a close spot. They have clean restrooms, changing rooms, picnic area, grills, and the beach is right there. (very clean, water is very calm too). What I love about this section, especially with kids, is the Ft Fisher Aquarium is right there. Also, the Ft Fisher musuem. The aquarium has a snack area too. Head into town (Kure Beach) and have lunch at the two seafood restaurants (they have a kids menu, plus both restaurants are VERY good) plus a dairy queen stop at the same corner (these places are next to the pier). For this particular parking lot, just follow the signs to the Ft Fisher Aquarium. Its about 20 miles from Wrightsville Beach. Once you turn onto Loggerhead Dr for the Aquarium, the parking lot is right there on your left. You can't miss it!
Here is a tip for getting down to Kure/Ft Fisher a little faster that I was unaware of until I got a GPS. Right before Carolina Beach after going over the bridge onto the island, make the first right onto Dow Rd. It takes you down the west side of the island rejoining 421 at Big Daddy's. We took this route last Labor Day and I would guess it saved us a good ten minutes over all the traffic and lights on the main route.

Old 07-13-2010, 01:08 PM

615 posts, read 1,503,628 times
Just to clarify "seedy"---when we were there they were unloading busloads of rowdy teens with mouths like sailors. Not very family-friendly.

Old 07-13-2010, 01:27 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,040,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcattwood View Post
Here is a tip for getting down to Kure/Ft Fisher a little faster that I was unaware of until I got a GPS. Right before Carolina Beach after going over the bridge onto the island, make the first right onto Dow Rd. It takes you down the west side of the island rejoining 421 at Big Daddy's. We took this route last Labor Day and I would guess it saved us a good ten minutes over all the traffic and lights on the main route.
Love Carolina beach and that is a great shortcut. The reality is if you aren't staying on Pleasure Island you can go to either Carolina or Kure. If you are staying on Pleasure Island you can go to either of the beaches. If you are staying on the beach at one you can drive a few minutes to the other. As far as who goes to the beach in terms of socio economic it depends on where you enter the beach from. The area around the pier has more affordable accomodations
Pleasure Island, North Carolina - Carolina Beach NC, Kure Beach, and Fort Fisher

Head to Pleasure Island and let your adventure begin.

Old 07-13-2010, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmom5497 View Post
Just to clarify "seedy"---when we were there they were unloading busloads of rowdy teens with mouths like sailors. Not very family-friendly.
My guess is that was around the boardwalk/amusement park

Old 07-13-2010, 08:58 PM

345 posts, read 1,060,427 times
Quote:
Thanks! We'll use this...we always eat at Big Daddy's when we go to CB.

Old 07-14-2010, 05:39 AM

1,515 posts, read 6,983,517 times
Quote:
Oh wow, I never knew that! Thanks so much for this!!!

I LOVE Big Daddy's..they have some of the best seafood I have ever eaten. I will definately have to take this route now!

Old 07-14-2010, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Oh wow, I never knew that! Thanks so much for this!!!

I LOVE Big Daddy's..they have some of the best seafood I have ever eaten. I will definately have to take this route now!
Try the Ocean Grill and Tiki Bar also. Great crab or fried shrimp sandwich. I believe Big Daddys is having work done so it is messy outside.

Old 07-14-2010, 07:36 AM

1,994 posts, read 5,962,783 times
Quote:
I also just want to add, I have yet to find a great parking area for Wrightsville beach. I love it as much as the next person but in my humble opinion, unless you are staying at a hotel there, its not a great place to just find a quick parking lot that is free, much less with restrooms. If anyone else can fill me in on a great place, would love to hear it!
I'll once again note that there's three parking lots, all within a one half a mile of each other, at the north end of the beach. The furthest north one is next to the shell island resort, holds about 25 cars and has a bathroom. The second is a little bigger and holds around 30 cars. The third is the biggest and holds around 100 cars. Best time to get there and quickly get a parking spot is 8:45, since parking is free until 9 am, at which point alot of surfers and dog walkers will clear out. However, even on weekends regardless of when we get there I just drop the kids and wife at the shell island lot and sit in line to wait for a spot at whichever lot has the shortest line (take a quick look at the other two on the way up, in case there's an open spot), a spot usually opens up within 20 minutes. The tidal pool at low tide, the lack of crowds, the (new) half mile of undeveloped beach north of the hotel, and fun in the estuary behind the beach at high tide are more than worth a little wait for me.

I'll note, I don't go to the beach on a holiday weekends (ie...Labor day, Memorial Day, 4th of July), but if I did I'd head to the outer banks and park the car somewhere between Pea Island and Avon and have the whole beach to myself (no bathrooms, but no people means facilities are au natural...just put #2 in a baggie).

Old 07-14-2010, 08:01 AM

277 posts, read 797,796 times
One vote for Topsail Beach! (2 hours and 30 minutes though)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary