Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2010, 08:14 PM

345 posts, read 1,060,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Try the Ocean Grill and Tiki Bar also. Great crab or fried shrimp sandwich. I believe Big Daddys is having work done so it is messy outside.
Thanks! We also recommend El Zarape...ate there a few weeks ago and made a pig of myself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2010, 08:43 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,040,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellasformas View Post
Thanks! We also recommend El Zarape...ate there a few weeks ago and made a pig of myself.
We were in Carolina Beach a few weeks ago also. Heading there tomorrow to take care of some business

Old 07-14-2010, 08:51 PM

345 posts, read 1,060,427 times
Jealous!!! Have some fun though...and have some fun for me!

Old 07-15-2010, 06:58 AM

4,596 posts, read 11,449,708 times
Default From the area, I am

Parking at any of the beaches can be a hassle, but in general, you can find a spot easier, and perhaps a bit cheaper, at Carolina and Kure Beaches, or even as far down as Fort Fisher, where you'll be if you want to visit the NC Aquarium while you're there. (If you spend a few hours at the aquarium, it would be fun to add a trip across the waterway via the ferry to Southport. Makes for a great day trip.)

Not to hurt anyone's feelings, or to come across as throwing rocks, either, Wrightsville Beach residents prefer most tourists stay off the island. They view people from Wilmington, who don't own homes on the beach, as a bit of a necessary evil, but those who drive in from other areas can be a complete nuisance. Several years back, there was quite a big stink over bumper stickers that had been printed, and folks were seeing on the bumpers of cars in the general area of Wrightsville Beach. They read, Welcome to Wrightsville Beach. Now, GO HOME. You may no longer see those, but the attitude among the beach natives is still there.

Wrightsville is a beautiful beach, but unless you have friends/family there who can afford you the space on their driveways, finding a place to park can be difficult, and a bit pricey. If you park in other areas, you run the risk of getting a ticket, or being towed, or both. Getting on and off the island can be difficult at times, working around the schedule of the drawbridge and traffic. Many a wreck, or honking, middle finger(s) and swearing, in-and-around Redix and the USPO at certain times of the day.

Carolina Beach is changing, and much of what people objected to is getting better, ie. the 'seediness.' Growing up in Wilmington, Carolina Beach was one place where you could go find trouble, or get into trouble, if that was what you were looking for -- my parents threatened us with restriction if they caught us down there, unless it was something special like shagging/dancing on the rooftops of the bars to the sounds of The Tams.

If it's just being on the strand you are after, Carolina and Kure beaches, as well as Fort Fisher, may suit your needs, as will Topsail Island. The Brunswick County beaches are nice, too, but closer to three hours away -- better if you want to rent a house for a week, maybe.

Have a great day down on the strand. Eat some local seafood for me, will ya? I sure miss the seafood.

Old 06-22-2012, 06:46 AM

4 posts, read 4,533 times
Cool North Topsail Beach

When we want to spend the day on the beach we head to the first (I believe) North Topsail Beach access after passing through Surf City. You can't miss it on the right, of course, a huge building on pilings with a handicap ramp, showers, bathrooms, concession stand (sells ice cream, sunscreen, etc.), and a large gravel lot with free parking. If I remember correctly there is a huge sign on the beach side of the building that says no surfing, fishing, or drinking. However there is also no lifeguard either. Now that my 4 year old is more adventurous we will probably do the North end of Wrightsville for the tidal pools during the week and stick with North Topsail on weekends for the free parking and smaller crowds.

Old 06-22-2012, 10:06 AM

1,067 posts, read 1,831,626 times
Oak Island seems to have calmer waters than Wrightsville. I always figured that was because it's shielded somewhat by Cape Fear but I really have no idea, maybe I'm just making that up. It is a bit further from the Triangle than Wrightsville but less crowded. (Plus, Southport is nearby, which I really like.)

Old 06-22-2012, 10:17 AM

4,598 posts, read 10,155,524 times
Heading out to Wilmington this weekend which I haven't been to in years. We're staying at my husband's relatives' house near UNC-W apparently. Any recommendations for a good place to get a soft shelled crab sandwich while we're down there? Usually we go to Topsail and I'll get one at Sears Landing.

Old 06-23-2012, 03:10 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,040,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evaofnc View Post
Heading out to Wilmington this weekend which I haven't been to in years. We're staying at my husband's relatives' house near UNC-W apparently. Any recommendations for a good place to get a soft shelled crab sandwich while we're down there? Usually we go to Topsail and I'll get one at Sears Landing.
Fish bites between the university and cb has/had great sandwich. Wife loved it great sea food and deserts period

Old 06-23-2012, 03:39 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,108,254 times
You might have to call around. They're seasonal so most places don't have them on their regular menu but will have them as specials. I know Jerry's and Bluewater at Wrightsville have very good soft shell crab sandwiches and both are only about a 10 minute drive from the University area.

Old 06-24-2012, 05:06 PM

4,598 posts, read 10,155,524 times
We ended up at Fish Bites and it was a perfect sandwich! Good bisque, too. Thanks, TuborgP!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary