Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2006, 06:55 AM

50 posts, read 209,404 times

Advertisements

Hi there-

We found a very inexpensive small subdivision in Clayton called Bright Leaf Park. Its in the West part of CLayton off COuntry Lane and Barber Hill Rd. It looks as if the area is only one street containing 12 lots. The house is small but on 2 acres and we are thinking of putting an addition on it in a year. My realtor sent pictures and the area is VERY rural and all the houses are 1200 sq ft and under. Everyone has a large property though. I can only get so much information from my realtor as she cannot even tell me if its a low income housing area. The house is only 119K on a culdesack but again, small. Does anyone know of this area, be as candid as possible, I have a 2 yr old and I do not want to move her into an unsafe low income housing area. I dont want to assume just because the houses are inexpensive and small that its a welfare area but its too big a chance to take.
Thanks. The school system is West Clayton.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2006, 07:18 AM

146 posts, read 638,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2KK
Hi there-

We found a very inexpensive small subdivision in Clayton called Bright Leaf Park. Its in the West part of CLayton off COuntry Lane and Barber Hill Rd. It looks as if the area is only one street containing 12 lots. The house is small but on 2 acres and we are thinking of putting an addition on it in a year. My realtor sent pictures and the area is VERY rural and all the houses are 1200 sq ft and under. Everyone has a large property though. I can only get so much information from my realtor as she cannot even tell me if its a low income housing area. The house is only 119K on a culdesack but again, small. Does anyone know of this area, be as candid as possible, I have a 2 yr old and I do not want to move her into an unsafe low income housing area. I dont want to assume just because the houses are inexpensive and small that its a welfare area but its too big a chance to take.
"unsafe low income housing area" you must mean a diverse neighborhood. I dont blame you but YOU should visit the area personally and do some internet research, if you know what I mean.

Old 08-10-2006, 07:26 AM

Im sorry if what I wrote sounded offensive, crime comes in all shapes and sizes. Im trying to do research now on the internet, this area is only 1 block long and Im not getting too much. My realtor just told me its the part of Clayton that hasnt started to grow yet and she thinks its a great investment for future growth. As much as I like her, I know she can only disclose so much. Why wouldnt these houses start to expand like we would plan to do? They were all built in the early 90's. I hope someone who knows the area will comment. I have been to Clayton 3 times house hunting and its a charming town. Seems I looked more around the Flowers/East Clayton area so my realtor says.
Thanks.

Old 08-10-2006, 08:48 AM

787 posts, read 3,582,709 times
Is this anywhere near Wilson Mills? I know we looked at a house there around 1989, 1990 and the reason we didn't buy there was because they were about to four lane that road. We were just coming off of Hwy 95 and had no interest in buying another house that close to a major highway with or without a service road.

Old 08-10-2006, 12:24 PM

I dont think so. Its off 42 W going toward Fuquay Varina. Its only 1 block long with 12 houses on it. Its called Bright Leaf Park Subdivision but 12 houses doesnt make much of a subdivision. It could just be a quaint Country area that has not experienced any new development. Im going up there in Sept but my husband is pushing to put an offer on this house and I want to get as much info as possible.

Old 08-12-2006, 04:11 PM

25 posts, read 87,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2KK
Hi there-

Hi Mom2KK,

You're in luck, I used to live on Country Lane so I know exactly where it is. Well, it has been almost 15 years now, but still, I did live there so I know where you are talking about. (And just FYI, Country Lane is off of Barber Mill Rd, not Barber Hill Rd. )

When I was there, there were only a few small (starter) homes and mobile homes on the road. It wasn't a bad area back then but I can't tell you what it's like now. It definitely wasn't a low income housing project back then, just a short, dead-end road with small houses on it. I don't remember there being a subdivision then either, but I think one may have been in the beginning stages when I moved.

Anyway, I don't know how helpful I've been but I'll try to go over there in the next few days and see how it looks now. I'm not a realtor so I can give you a completely honest opinion of what I see.

Best wishes to ya!

Old 08-13-2006, 01:26 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,230,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolinaborn&raised
Hi Mom2KK,

You're in luck, I used to live on Country Lane so I know exactly where it is. Well, it has been almost 15 years now, but still, I did live there so I know where you are talking about. (And just FYI, Country Lane is off of Barber Mill Rd, not Barber Hill Rd. )

When I was there, there were only a few small (starter) homes and mobile homes on the road. It wasn't a bad area back then but I can't tell you what it's like now. It definitely wasn't a low income housing project back then, just a short, dead-end road with small houses on it. I don't remember there being a subdivision then either, but I think one may have been in the beginning stages when I moved.

Anyway, I don't know how helpful I've been but I'll try to go over there in the next few days and see how it looks now. I'm not a realtor so I can give you a completely honest opinion of what I see.

Best wishes to ya!
Ummm...hey Carolinabornand bred...what does that mean "I'm not a realtor so I can give you a completely honest opinion of what I see"? If you don't think I'm honest...ask anyone that knows you! I've been told that I'm brutally honest. By the same token...I want my clients to be happy. I tell them what I know and what I see, which is the same thing they see. So...lets don't say ALL Realtors are not honest and I won't say ALL North Carolinians born and bred are rednecks!!! Vicki

Old 08-13-2006, 01:30 PM

1,035 posts, read 2,906,385 times
Good for you Vicki, people must understand that there are certain things a realtor cannot tell you do to the law, not for the lack of honesty..

As with any other profession, there are the good and the bad, one can spoil the entire bunch but just like we do not like sterotyping, do not assume all realtors lie based on one experience...

I am not a realtor -

Old 08-13-2006, 02:36 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,230,653 times
As usual...you are right on the mark, Weis02! The main thing a Realtor is FORBIDDEN from law from telling their clients has to do with FAIR HOUSING. Those LAWS stipulate that a Realtor cannot say anything about the RACE or the RELIGION or the FAMAILIAR STATUS of people living in the neighborhood. Its a LAW! So...for those of you that are so concerned about WHO your neighbors are and WHAT your neighbors are...look around you...check out the websites but if you are trying to find a house for under $100,000 in North Raleigh...it ain't gonna happen and I CAN tell you that!

Ok...off my soapbox and out to show 2 houses on a Sunday, when I could be resting but my client asked nicely!!!

Vicki

Old 08-13-2006, 02:53 PM

1,035 posts, read 2,906,385 times
For those concerned who your neighbors are, who is living around you - my suggestions are:

If you have an address you can go to tax records of each county and see the names of people on the block, now some names don't give it away but others will -

If there is an area you have in mind, drive around and wait when people come out, go to the HOA pool, visit the schools (given the re-districting this may or may not work in Wake) - see who is at the school, wait when school lets out or ask the principal for a tour and see the kids at the school during school hours -
visit the local supermarket and others stores, you can "generall" get a good feel about something just by driving around an area.

The danger in some of this, if you buy a new home in a new sub-division and not all the homes are built or sold, you really do not know who your neighbor may or may not be, but from my research -
- the price of homes is a good indicator sometimes
and if you research enough you will learn what racial mix is in an area. Some area easier then others -

And for those with uncertainty and many are doing this, rent in the area first before making a commitment to buy

As always, best of happiness to all and luck (as in the process of moving we all need it !)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary