Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2010, 05:24 PM

113 posts, read 727,672 times

Advertisements

I've been struggling with Hyperemesis Gravidarum for 6 weeks and am not happy with the treatment I'm receiving from my OB. Does anyone have any experience with HG and a local OB? Thanks!.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2010, 05:53 PM

119 posts, read 394,148 times
I don't have any local experience but I have worked in an OB office. If you're not happy with the treatment, keep pushing & even consider changing practices if you're not happy with the practice itself at this point. I can say, some women with HG get a lot of help with medications and others need to be admitted to the hospital for proper treatment. But there are different medications that can help you & definitely try all the other nausea treatments if you haven't already...Sea bands & the B-natal pops & my old practice had a whole Vitamin B with Unisom regimen. Hope you feel better!!

Old 07-16-2010, 06:15 PM

Thanks! I'm 11 weeks and have been dealing with it for 6 weeks. Since about 3-4 weeks ago, I've been in the office 3 times and have called for advice 4 times and haven't really gotten anywhere. I've been prescribed Zofran, Phenergan and Reglan and nothing has worked. I did have to be admitted once for fluids and IV Zofran and felt good then, but at home I'm right back in the same position. I just don't feel like I'm being taken seriously. I keep getting comments from the nurses like "drink more water," "eat some saltines," etc. I just don't get the feeling they have too many extreme cases like mine. I've seen the B and Unisom mentioned on some HG boards, I think I may give that a try. Thanks for the advice!

Old 07-16-2010, 08:46 PM

119 posts, read 394,148 times
No problem! Just make sure if you do the regimen it's over the course of a few days you can crash at home since you may be pretty sleepy initially as your body gets used to the Unisom. And at 11 weeks you still have lots of time for it to improve...that's a great thing! Hopefully after 12 weeks sometime things will be looking better for you..but remember you are letting this practice deliver your baby so don't be afraid to request an office visit for a face to face. Good luck.

Old 07-17-2010, 08:36 AM

2,834 posts, read 12,033,037 times
I was not as bad off as you are, but still sick unless I was sleeping (this lasted for 16 weeks). I did go to a sharper image and bought this motion sickness watch that gives you a little shock on your wrist (where the sea bands go) and it did help. The sea bands did nothing for me. The watch was expensive, but well worth it to me as it allowed me to function.

My docs were sympathetic (especially the women who had already had babies and knew the feeling!) at triangle ob/gyn. They are located in cary, but also have an office near rex.

I have heard great things about cary obgyn as well.

I know -sort of- how terrible it can be, and how disheartening it is when people day, well, you only have 6 more weeks of this...............that seemed like an eternity to me!!!

Leigh

Old 07-17-2010, 07:20 PM

2,135 posts, read 7,656,189 times
This is where I went: Maternal and Child Health Program; Department of Family Medicine - UNC School of Medicine (http://www.med.unc.edu/fammed/for-patients/maternal-childcare - broken link)

Old 07-17-2010, 09:44 PM

48 posts, read 298,145 times
Unfortunately I was not in this area when I went through it, bit I do sympathize with you. I was hospitalized starting at 6 weeks after losing 10 pounds already (even told to have an abortion--that's how little my OB knew about it!) Thankfully I didn't listen because I am now laying next to my world, my five year old son. I switched MD's to find someone who DID know how to handle it. Brigham & Women's Hospital in Boston, MA. I wish I knew a practice around here to recommend. I would imagine anyone affiliated with the bigger, teaching hospitals such as Duke would be good.
IV Zofran and 24/7 IV fluids & vitamins through a PICC line (like an IV that stays with you at home for weeks/months at a time) and basically bedrest got me through until I got better at around the fifth month. I literally could not even sip water without vomiting!
I just want to let you know that someone understands how much you hate to hear, "eat a cracker before getting out of bed" or "eat small meals" or "do you have an eating disorder?" or anything similar. Hyperemesis is NOT morning sickness or normal pregnancy nausea. It is a condition that disables you. I just kept reminding myself that 9 months of my suffering is nothing to sacrifice to provide a lifetime for the baby. The baby will take what it needs from your body, so don't let anyone say you are "starving the baby"--yes I was told that from nurses (I am a RN now and can't imagine saying that!). It is your body that is getting malnourished, but you will survive with fluids and just hang on....easier said than done.

Old 07-17-2010, 09:54 PM

Thank you all so much!

Leigh, Triangle is actually where I'm going and I have been less than thrilled with my care there unfortunately.

Ma-I went there for my first pregnancy. They were alright. I didn't experience Hyperemesis with that pregnancy, so I don't have experience with that with them. Did you have HG?

Welovenc-Thank you so much! It's always nice to hear from someone who knows exactly what I'm going through. Even my husband doesn't get it. I really feel like I probably need a picc line and constant meds. The only time I felt somewhat normal was when I was in the hospital on IV Zofran and Reglan. Literally within hours of being home, I felt awful again. My doctors just aren't responsive at all and I feel like I know more than all of the nurses. I'm jealous you got to go to Brigham! I hear that's an awesome hospital (and I love to watch them on Boston Med too LOL).

Old 07-18-2010, 07:52 PM

2,834 posts, read 12,033,037 times
That completely sucks that Triangle is not being more responsive, I was last there 7 years ago, and basically saw a doctor *female* who is no longer there.

I would try cary obgyn, as I have heard great things about them, and yes, I agree when people tell you to eat a cracker it used to make me so angry! I told my hubby to think about the WORST hangover he had ever had, and imagine having that every day, all of your waking hours. Not too much fun.

I hope you get it resolved and start feeling like you can tolerate being awake soon!

Leigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachbum98 View Post
Thank you all so much!

Leigh, Triangle is actually where I'm going and I have been less than thrilled with my care there unfortunately.

Ma-I went there for my first pregnancy. They were alright. I didn't experience Hyperemesis with that pregnancy, so I don't have experience with that with them. Did you have HG?

Welovenc-Thank you so much! It's always nice to hear from someone who knows exactly what I'm going through. Even my husband doesn't get it. I really feel like I probably need a picc line and constant meds. The only time I felt somewhat normal was when I was in the hospital on IV Zofran and Reglan. Literally within hours of being home, I felt awful again. My doctors just aren't responsive at all and I feel like I know more than all of the nurses. I'm jealous you got to go to Brigham! I hear that's an awesome hospital (and I love to watch them on Boston Med too LOL).

Old 07-19-2010, 12:20 PM
W26

15 posts, read 36,429 times
Yes, I had Hyperemesis with both of my pregnancies. I would recommend Kamm, Mckenzie, Harden, Smith, Bass, Saacks, etc. Their phone number is 781-6200. With my first pregnancy, I got IV's in their office or was admitted to the hospital to get IV fluids. We tried all the meds and nothing really worked. With my second, which was even worse, I had home health care from Duke (arranged by Kamm, Mckenzie). I was in the hospital for two weeks and had to have a central line put in - really couldn't eat or drink anything. I don't think Kamm, Mckenzie, etc. had had a lot of patients with HG, but they took it seriously and I was happy with their care. My husband did some research and found a program in California that treats patients with Hyperemesis. My doctors from Kamm, McKenzie called and talked to their doctors and tried their protocol for treatment. It didn't work...I had a reaction to one of the medications, and I remember I was supposed to drink warm chicken broth. When you're already extremely sick, it's really hard to stomach warm hospital chicken broth! Anyway, I was glad they were willing to talk to the other doctors and give it a try. Hang in there. It will be a long road, but you will make it! I have two healthy children. When your baby is born, it will all be worth it! Let me know if you have any other questions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary