Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2010, 11:05 PM

1,764 posts, read 2,865,954 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sowk09 View Post
Haven't they (you know... the universal 'they') always said that if you wear clothing that covers your whole body when it's hot, you sweat, and the sweat on the fabric actually cools you down? So to me, it almost makes more sense to be in long clothing like that rather than up-the-butt shorts and teeny tube tops I see. Those girls just sweat, and sweat, and sweat and the sweat goes nowhere and isn't productive in keeping them cool. Just an observation.
I have to agree it must work because the woman I saw in Target looked like she was very comfortable. I know the store has A/C but she was almost in a job pushing her cart through the store and did not have a bit of sweat (or shine) on her face. Like I mentioned before, she stood out because I felt like I was going to pass out in my sundress (very modest length almost to my ankles).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2010, 09:50 AM

4,532 posts, read 8,871,316 times
I just received this via twitter and thought it might be good to post here as another perspective in this conversation.

Dr. Taj Hargey, an imam and chairman of the Muslim Educational Trust of Oxford, told the Telegraph, "The wearing of the burka or niqab is a tribal custom and these garments are not even mentioned in the Koran." 3 British Islamic schools require girls to wear veils - msnbc.com

In the triangle we have muslims from many countries with different views on whether or not woman should cover themselves. My Iranian friends who used to cover, no longer do. My Eygptian friend wears a regular head scarf when she goes out. Others I know from Iraq do not cover. It really depends on the type of culture and country they are from more so than strictly being muslim. Their level of education can affect how they define the level of modesty which best suits them. Also, there seems to be a segment of African American muslims who favor the desert style of muslim dress which is more conservative.
When I was a child I remember Catholics in the UK covering their head with a scarf or a lace cover for church. Even Anglican women tended to wear hats to church. I find these cultural/religious differences interesting.

Old 10-03-2010, 10:49 AM

1,832 posts, read 5,090,870 times
Well, we really haven't been "hatless" all that long--look at the Kennedy era--people just wore hats whenever they went out. Look at nuns, who not that long ago all went around in habits. There are many traditions and customs about degree of dress. And I know I have said many times that I sure hope turtlenecks and maxi-skirts are all the rage when my daughters are teenagers

Old 10-03-2010, 07:03 PM

1,611 posts, read 4,848,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighLass View Post
I just received this via twitter and thought it might be good to post here as another perspective in this conversation.

Dr. Taj Hargey, an imam and chairman of the Muslim Educational Trust of Oxford, told the Telegraph, "The wearing of the burka or niqab is a tribal custom and these garments are not even mentioned in the Koran." 3 British Islamic schools require girls to wear veils - msnbc.com

In the triangle we have muslims from many countries with different views on whether or not woman should cover themselves. My Iranian friends who used to cover, no longer do. My Eygptian friend wears a regular head scarf when she goes out. Others I know from Iraq do not cover. It really depends on the type of culture and country they are from more so than strictly being muslim. Their level of education can affect how they define the level of modesty which best suits them. Also, there seems to be a segment of African American muslims who favor the desert style of muslim dress which is more conservative.
When I was a child I remember Catholics in the UK covering their head with a scarf or a lace cover for church. Even Anglican women tended to wear hats to church. I find these cultural/religious differences interesting.
Pre Vatican II, Catholic women in the US wore head coverings to church, too... scarves, "doilies, etc." With a few exceptions, (mostly elderly women) I do not see many catholics or Epicopalian/Anglican women wearing head coverings at church any more.

My grandmother told me she covered her heas out of respect at church. A Jewish friend told me his yamulke was to remind him that God was always above him. My granmother also said bare arms were always a no no in church, even at a wedding. That one has surely flown out the window!

Old 10-04-2010, 11:33 AM

1,084 posts, read 2,477,883 times
I think that more non-muslim american women would wear headscarves if it was presented as a 'neutral' everyday wear. I am curious about wearing it myself, but don't. I'm afraid it would insult my muslim friends.

Old 10-04-2010, 01:18 PM

862 posts, read 3,549,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marissy View Post
I think that more non-muslim american women would wear headscarves if it was presented as a 'neutral' everyday wear. I am curious about wearing it myself, but don't. I'm afraid it would insult my muslim friends.
Actually there are non-Muslim women that wear them. I'm familiar with women from Africa who wear them as part of their cultural heritage. They tend to wear these along with their colorful outfits to church. Mennonite women do so. I also know of one woman on Youtube who has a channel. Her username is Non-Muslim hijabi: YouTube - NonMuslimHijabi's Channel

I tend to think the style in which it is worn is that which Muslim women may find odd or perhaps insulting. The Non-Muslim Hijabi actually wears her hijab in a way that would pass for a Muslim. Mennonite women are usually obviously Christian because of the way their scarves are worn. I, myself wouldn't find it insulting or offensive. However, I'd find it odd.

If you're just wearing it for the sake of wearing it and not for religious reasons, you'd definitely need to be prepared for a lot of explanation....(I hate to say it, but even more so if you're white.)

Old 10-04-2010, 05:44 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,096,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nogard13 View Post
mia78,

I'm just curious as to it's a "sexual" thing or just a gender thing (i.e. there is NO sexual tension between Richard Simmons and any woman).
Hey. Don't be so sure. A few years ago, Richard Simmons kissed me, against my will, after I was forcibly pushed up to him by large burly men. How do YOU know there was no sexual tension? Hmmm???? Maybe he LOVED it? Do YOU know???
thi
(It was at a book conference, and you're right. There wasn't!)

And after learning a little about the "gender" thing, I know if I would not have been able to make a living the last 20 years or so because I worked mostly with men. Very interesting topic.

Old 10-05-2010, 07:24 AM

662 posts, read 1,644,386 times
lol, I bet he DID love it, lovebrentwood

I run into women wearing traditional Muslim garb at my evening continuing ed class. They run into me wearing my King's X hoodie and odd ear piercings. I hope America never bans the burka or any other article of clothing. If talks come, I plan to start wearing one here around the Triangle despite being a white non-Muslim.

Old 09-04-2015, 10:45 AM

1 posts, read 684 times
for the woman in Islam she should hide every part in her body except for her face and hands ..So Hijab is a must for each myslim women ... but for niqab or as you call it burka it's a higher degree of faith and for the woman to chose either to wear it or not ..it depends on her faith, her will to continue with it and of course it's a bit hard for some of us ..but for Higab only you will never feel hot the way you think ☺

Both Higab and burka have nothing to do with our personality or humanity ...We as muslim women are just helping you to deal and communicate with our minds and souls without focusing on our bodies and colors.

exactly as MARY the mother of Jesus ( peace be upon him ) was doing
and sure you can notice her beautiful Higab in your churches.

Thanks all for your questions and answers
sorry my English is not that good ☺

Old 09-04-2015, 10:55 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,576,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiba Fathi View Post
for the woman in Islam she should hide every part in her body except for her face and hands ..So Hijab is a must for each myslim women ... but for niqab or as you call it burka it's a higher degree of faith and for the woman to chose either to wear it or not ..it depends on her faith, her will to continue with it and of course it's a bit hard for some of us ..but for Higab only you will never feel hot the way you think ☺

Both Higab and burka have nothing to do with our personality or humanity ...We as muslim women are just helping you to deal and communicate with our minds and souls without focusing on our bodies and colors.

exactly as MARY the mother of Jesus ( peace be upon him ) was doing
and sure you can notice her beautiful Higab in your churches.

Thanks all for your questions and answers
sorry my English is not that good ☺
Thank you for the insight, it's so helpful to hear from people who practice various faiths regarding their customs and laws.

I am curious, do you feel as if the people in your religious community focus on your mind as a result of your attire, men and women alike? I've read so many times that Muslim women aren't treated as equals and I'm curious to hear from someone who is faithful about their own experiences.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary