Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2010, 06:29 PM

165 posts, read 434,229 times

Advertisements

RaleighLass, thanks for the pics. That is most definitely the culprit in my yard. So, they like roses and plum trees. Can anyone tell me if I should be concerned about my lawn? I'm almost afraid to have asked.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2010, 06:44 PM

4,532 posts, read 8,865,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by relo-NC View Post
RaleighLass, thanks for the pics. That is most definitely the culprit in my yard. So, they like roses and plum trees. Can anyone tell me if I should be concerned about my lawn? I'm almost afraid to have asked.
UR welcome! I think we've had some posters say they can be a problem yet I have had these pests for yrs and my grass is fine. I think mine won't dine on common grass, they like fancy roses and plums

Old 07-19-2010, 07:10 PM

That's comforting to know. I just posted another thread to ask about that before I read your info. I have to say, I am getting quite an education in NC horticulture and have only living here for 6 weeks! So, what's the next infestation I need to be prepared for?

Old 07-19-2010, 07:14 PM

8,159 posts, read 10,917,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighLass View Post
You know, my mum taught me to share....happy to bring some over for ya
I suppose for old time sake a few dozen shouldn't do a whole lot of harm

Old 07-19-2010, 07:40 PM

Hmm, next infestation...many of us have ants of all kinds. And the ever so stinging, red ants.

What you get really depends on where you live - closer to town or rural. I live in a rural type eviron near Knightdale so I see all kinds of bugs. I have carpenter bees, wasps, lizards (cute), frogs, snakes, rabbits, a coyote, beaver, you get the picture I have lived in town and only ever saw the odd bee...so depends where you live.

Old 07-19-2010, 08:12 PM

8,159 posts, read 10,917,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighLass View Post

What you get really depends on where you live - closer to town or rural. I live in a rural type eviron near Knightdale so I see all kinds of bugs. I have carpenter bees, wasps, lizards (cute), frogs, snakes, rabbits, a coyote, beaver, you get the picture
North Hills....on the Penny's side...wasps, yellow jackets, lightning bugs, palmetto bugs, an occasional mosquito, haven't seen a shake in my yard yet, rabbits, carpenter bees, honey bees, don't recall seeing a lizard here, ants, opossums, and chipmonks....an army of chipmonks

Old 07-19-2010, 08:38 PM

Poggly = palmetto's, I didn't know they dared venture to NH I hate those disgusting things...and the ones SC are mutant.

Relo - hope you don't see any of these...shudder...

Old 07-19-2010, 09:08 PM

I've never seen them in New England. LOL. My relatives in FL have talked about them. Do they come out only at night or do I get my first fright during the day? Got any pics? As for fire ants, I guess I have to look for a conspicuous hill? I have sandy soil...is that a favorite for those ants?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary