Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2010, 12:04 PM

2,376 posts, read 2,930,862 times

Advertisements

Wife and I like to travel and we're looking for some ideas for roadtrips within 6-7 hours of Raleigh. (So we don't need to fly.)

We've already hit the obvious places (Atlanta, Wash DC, Asheville, Charleston, Savannah, Hilton Head and the beaches of Eastern NC/Myrtle Beach.)

We are definitely not people who like to go somewhere and sit at the beach. We like to get out and about to see the sights, shop, walk around, goto shows/sporting events, etc.

Anyone got any suggestions? Where we used to live in Michigan there were tons of resort towns all over the great lakes. Looking for those same hidden gems around here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2010, 12:27 PM

477 posts, read 1,419,011 times
How about Richmond, Va? Guidespot: Hip Meets Class in The Fan (Richmond, VA)

Old 07-18-2010, 12:41 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,216,093 times
NC and surrounding area have a lot of little "Michigan" towns. Mt. Airy is nice. The Tennessee side of the Smokies. Columbia SC, Greenville NC and SC, Warrenton / Louisburg NC.

My wife and I generally just head out in a direction with our atlas and GPS. We have also started traveling into VA up into Lynchburg area which is nice. Also, the entire coast of NC is great at Elizabeth City, Duck, New Bern, Ocracroke.

If you have children or grandchildren, stop by Coinjock and have lunch at the GRAVE DIGGER's CAFE and see where the GRAVE DIGGER is built and the mud track it races on when it isn't at monster truck shows.

I have been trying to get my wife to go up to Norfolk and take the bridge / tunnel to the Tri-State Penninsula.

WIlliamsburg VA?

That's what we did back in MI when we were bored and wanted adventure--get in the car and drive..we find some of the neatest places. Also, look at the magazine OUR STATE for road trip ideas.

http://www.ourstate.com/

Old 07-18-2010, 12:42 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,513,090 times
Savannah Georgia

all photos copyrighted to city-data

Jekyll Island Photos

//www.city-data.com/forum/savan...ah-photos.html

Tybee Island Photos

Old 07-18-2010, 12:52 PM

1,357 posts, read 4,027,675 times
I second Greenville, SC. My parents live right near there and it has a great vibe. Lots of coffee shops, music shows, shopping, etc plus a GREAT urban park.

Old 07-18-2010, 01:14 PM

24 posts, read 87,438 times
Clemson, SC on a Gameday during the Fall. It becomes the 4th largest city in SC during a game weekend and has some of the best tailgating in all of the south. It is only 4 hours away. The stadium itself is amazing and the Tigers' intro is considered the 25 Most Exciting Seconds in college football. There are some classic restaurants, some that have even been mentioned of the travel channel: Max's Drive In, or the Esso Club.

Old 07-18-2010, 01:25 PM

124 posts, read 326,535 times
Besides the places you've already mentioned, my vote would definitely be Beaufort, NC. It's one of the best get-aways in this state (especially in the off-season), in my opinion.

Also, this might sound obvious, but Charlotte can be fun if you are an active couple. My husband and I went for a weekend and were surprised at all of the things we could do. In fact, we didn't even complete all of the activities we had planned... We ran out of time!

Old 07-18-2010, 01:40 PM

7,104 posts, read 11,599,760 times
Well, it's a beach, but more. Ft. Fisher State Park - I just got back. The beach itself is gorgeous, but there's also a civil war museum and an aquarium - lots of nature trails - they go off into the bushes which was a little freaky since I've seen snakes there. Lots of deer, too. And you're close to Wilmington and the craziness that is Carolina Beach.

Old 07-18-2010, 02:25 PM

268 posts, read 1,067,327 times
You do like to drive! In 6 hours you can be in Jacksonville, FL.

Old 07-18-2010, 02:49 PM

161 posts, read 581,338 times
In Virginia:

Natural Bridge

Luray Caverns

Monticello (Thomas Jefferson's home)

In North Carolina:

Chimney Rock State Park in Western NC

Cherokee, NC / Great Smokey Mountains

Lots of sites to see along the Blue Ridge Parkway

Other places:

Gatlinburg, TN and Dollywood in Pigeon Forge, TN

Philadelphia, PA is just over 7 hours

Baltimore, MD -- you could go to an Orioles game
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary