Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2010, 04:30 PM

223 posts, read 577,052 times

Advertisements

Once in the couple of years that we have been here. It was only out for a few minutes.

This thread reminds me that I have to start gathering supplies for our hurricane kit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2010, 04:38 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,246,306 times
Maybe 10 years ago, it did seem that we lost power more often than we do now. I don't remember the last time I lost power at my house. A few years ago, I was told by a client of mine that worked for Progress Energy that if you lived near a hospital, you'd get your power back sooner than others!

Vicki

Old 07-19-2010, 04:50 PM

1,424 posts, read 5,337,516 times
I have the power outage phone number magneted to my refrigerator and flashlights in key areas in the house. So, yes, I am accustomed to the power going out a lot.

BUT, I have to admit, that over the past few years the outages have become both fewer and shorter. I have Progress Energy, and I hope they keep up the good work.

Old 07-19-2010, 10:33 PM
kas

6 posts, read 22,777 times
very infrequently in Durham and Raleigh. It has to be a pretty good storm to cause the issues. There are little blips here and there and that probably goes to the infrastructure issue mentioned above. Overall not a big concern

Old 07-20-2010, 12:44 AM

1,764 posts, read 2,865,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elsbells View Post
I've been living in my current home for 2 years, and during the winter we don't seem to have any trouble with the electricity. But during the summer, all these storms seem to really effect the power! We lose electricity fairly regularly, any time there is a big storm our electricity goes out. If we are lucky, it's only for a few minutes. But there have been at least 2 times this summer so far where we have been without power for several hours, making the house really hot and uncomfortable. We live in a new development, with the oldest construction maybe 4 years old, with all power lines underground. We are near downtown Durham. I cannot for the life of me figure out why our power goes out so often!

I was just curious if other people lose power as often as we do. I grew up near Asheville, but my parents had a generator which would turn on automatically if the power went out -- so I often didn't realize if the power went off. Here, my whole neighborhood looses power with each severe thunderstorm! Yuck!
Yes, we do. We are renting in North Raleigh near Briar Creek. We've lost power for several hours, several minutes all the way to flickering lights many other times during storms.

I bought the kids some of those battery operated personal fans at Cracker Barrel and have some heavy comforters I put over the windows to block out some of the heat. It won't make it cooler, but it will prevent the heat from coming in as quickly.

I also have those flashlights that plug into the wall. They automatically come on when the power goes out (like a nightlight almost). If it's early enough, we just leave and go have dinner somewhere air conditioned. Typically, it hasn't taken too long for the service to be restored and it's back on by the time we return.

It may sound strange, but it brings back nice memories for me. I grew up in a older house and the power went out all the time during storms. My parents would make hot chocolate and popcorn (gas stoves are great!) and let us sleep in their room with them. We'd stay up playing word games or counting games until we fell asleep safely with them.

Old 07-20-2010, 07:59 AM

375 posts, read 1,143,679 times
When I lived off of Gorman St - we would lose it in big storms. It was a great excuse for sleeping through my 8am class. =0) We even lost it during a snowstorm - but luckily we had a wood-burning fireplace to stay warm.

We moved to East Raleigh in a neighborhood with buried lines, and only lost power twice for less than an hour. It wasn't storm/snow related either.

We've only lived in our new place in Knightdale for a few months, but it only flickered twice during the huge storm we had last weekend. Our lines our buried here as well.

Old 07-20-2010, 08:07 AM

1,246 posts, read 4,188,845 times
We get "blips" during storms, just enough to shut off the tv, etc and a few seconds later hear everything come back on. We lost power for a few hours in May and I can't think of when we last lost power before that.

Old 07-20-2010, 08:52 AM

150 posts, read 506,991 times
We live in Brightleaf at the Park in Durham and I think we have lost power twice in the 2.5 years we have lived here. Once for a minute or so, and the other time for an hour or so (though we weren't home for most of it-it was a year ago during flooding)-much better than when we lived in CA

Old 07-20-2010, 11:04 AM

2,006 posts, read 3,584,421 times
I have never lost power/cable because of a storm.

Old 07-22-2010, 07:55 PM

49 posts, read 131,118 times
We live in Southsquare area and yes the past couple of big storms we have lost power. it's deifnitely more often from anywhere else we have lived outside of this state. The first time was 4 hrs. The second time was just 1.5 hrs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary