Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2010, 05:31 PM

7 posts, read 10,709 times

Advertisements

I've read many of the post about newby's and people who have lived there trying to obtain jobs. It is so discouraging because I want to relocate there. I know you guys are like oh no not someone else but you guys are beautiful and I love the city, beats Charlotte all the way around. I work as an administrative assistant and have almost for 22 years. I have applied for several positions but have heard nothing. Do you guys have head hunters there? What is your suggestion in obtaining a job set up a p.o. box and phone number? What about my current job on my resume? Also besides Durham Tech and Wake Tech are there any other LPN Programs in the area? I would appreciate all of your input and leads.

Last edited by wannabeNCGirl; 07-21-2010 at 05:41 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2010, 05:44 PM

I need all your feedback!

Old 07-22-2010, 04:19 AM

6,297 posts, read 16,091,761 times
There is Watts School of Nursing: Watts School of Nursing :: Duke University Health System
It's run by Duke but is not to be confused with Duke University School of Nursing: Duke University School of Nursing -

All nursing programs in the area are competitive as far as getting in.

As far as admin jobs, things have changed so much. It seems as if the job is an endangered species. It used to be that every four professionals in a corporation would be supported by an admin. Now I see one admin for a top manager, and that one admin may support an entire division.

I remember reading that admins were hard hit in the recession. There are jobs listed on the job boards, and many seem to be in health care settings. Maybe taking a medical terminology course would help snag one of those and help you in preparing for LPN training. I know some (maybe all?) nursing programs have waiting lists.

Good luck!

Old 07-22-2010, 03:14 PM

1 posts, read 1,371 times
Besides Durham & Wake Tech, there is Watts School of Nursing as mentioned above, VGCC (Vance Granville) located in Henderson, which like most of Granville is pretty rural but, easily within commuting distance from Triangle, going I-85 north. Going the opposite direction, traveling I-85 south you can check out the nursing program at Alamance Community College which is located right off the exit. There is also Piedmont Community College in Roxboro but, depending on exactly where you move, might not be as convenient as the others mentioned. ECPI/Medical Careers Institute has LPN program but have heard mixed reviews on this.

As far as Watts School of Nursing, I have heard many wonderful things about it but, it can be hard to get into. Test is very fast paced and there are only 2 chances to take it.

The last one mentioned, MCI (Med Careers Institute) is easy to get into but, is one I decided against after taking & passing the test. I had appt for tour & to meet with an advisor but, then it was suddenly sprung on me that I would be taking a test that day too which kept me there for about 4 hours so, if you decide to check them out, plan on being there for a while! The fast-paced 12 month program they offered sounded attractive but, with me going into this as a career change after being a SAHM for a few years, still having so many responsibilities at home with helping my boys keeping thier grades up I thought I better decide to go as a PT student somewhere rather than FT. I was also uncomfortable with a few things I heard regarding the expense of thier program compared to the community colleges and issues with paying back loans if you have to withdraw for any reason or can't keep up with the schedule.

DTCC has several campuses spread out with some classed offered in Orange Co. A new campus in Orange Co. opened I think sometime in Jan. 2009 in Hillsborough. I have taken classes at DTCC and last summer I completed the NA I program at the Orange Co. location in Chapel Hill. It was a really challenging program that really put me to the test with the clinicals, helping me decide if this was the right career choice for me.

I am planning on enrolling soon in a healthcare program at VGCC & checking into the nursing program there but, looking at other healthcare programs they offer as well that DTCC doesn't, like the Radiology Program.

Hope this helps & sorry sooooo long! Good luck on your decision! :-)

Last edited by Luv2takepics_NC; 07-22-2010 at 03:56 PM.. Reason: To add additional comments

Old 07-22-2010, 03:45 PM

1,877 posts, read 5,342,091 times
Watts doesn't have an LPN program, only RN. Are you only looking for LPN, or RN too? Durham Tech has LPN, and I'm sure a few more of the schools have them. I'm not really familiar with the LPN programs since I've only been looking into the RN programs. There aren't as many programs anymore since they are slowly phasing them out for lower paid positions like medical assistants. There are still some jobs out there though and if you want to bridge from LPN to RN, that's definitely still an option at some schools.

Old 07-22-2010, 06:00 PM

Thanks for all of your information very helpful. I really want to do an RN Program but I decided to do the LPN first because it is shorter and it will enable me to earn a decent pay while I pursue the bridge course. I have that alot of LPN positions are being phased out but it depends on locations. I hope Raleigh isn't one of those locations where it is cut completely.

Old 07-22-2010, 09:15 PM

13 posts, read 23,416 times
Good luck. As a recent bridge graduate and licensed RN. Haven't had one call back and I am in Raleigh already. I know that you need to know someone but this *&^( is ridiculous! Oh did I forget to mention I have a bachelor's too! If there are any heads up plz give me some. At this point I will pay a head hunter to get me in the door of ANY PLACE, with a paycheck, plz.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary