Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2010, 07:51 PM

5,743 posts, read 17,594,046 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pearljammer View Post
So "New User", I don't have a problem with a sweaty kid what I have a problem with is people don't have common sense! It's TOO dang hot! It's not like he's 10. He doesn't know any better. I won't even ask how much time you spent outside in the sun today.
It's not too dang hot. If you factor in the humidity index, I doubt that it was over 105. So I guess that mothers of children in Houston, or Phoenix, or Las Vegas don't even let their kids go outside to play at all in the summer? Jeez. What a bunch of mamby pambies. I was only able to spend 40 minutes out in the sun today. I wish that it could have been more (and I wish that it would have been in a bounce house with a popsicle afterward), but I have to work for a living.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2010, 08:47 PM

3,644 posts, read 8,575,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewUser View Post
It's not too dang hot. If you factor in the humidity index, I doubt that it was over 105. So I guess that mothers of children in Houston, or Phoenix, or Las Vegas don't even let their kids go outside to play at all in the summer? Jeez. What a bunch of mamby pambies. I was only able to spend 40 minutes out in the sun today. I wish that it could have been more (and I wish that it would have been in a bounce house with a popsicle afterward), but I have to work for a living.
The problem is most daycare teachers are trained in basic first-aid and cpr and nothing more. Although I'm not opposed to letting my daughter play outside when it's as hot as it was today if she's with me but I doubt the teachers know the warning signs of heat exhaustion on a small child. A 3yo will act and look normal and suddenly crash and crash hard. A 3yo also doesn't know when to say, "I've had enough and need to rest.". An adult can feel the gradual onset of heat exhaustion. Heat exhaustion occurs in adults when they feel compelled to "push on" and "tough it out".

My opinion on the matter is it's up to the parents to learn the child's teachers by asking questions and being involved. If I felt my daughter's teachers were incompetent on issues such as this I would have a talk with the daycare director to address my concerns about the teachers. I can understand the o/p's concerns and I hope the o/p will address them with the director. I also hope the o/p will take the extra time to show up one day without being seen by the child to watch what goes on during playtime to verify the children are being served/have access to water. I know some look at it as an inconvenience having to leave work early and take time off but it's your child for God's sake! There is nothing more important than your child's safety which requires parental involvement.

Old 07-21-2010, 09:13 PM

18,043 posts, read 15,639,191 times
It doesn't matter what other people on an Internet board think about this. The important thing is that you are not comfortable with your 3 yr old child being outside in this heat for longer than a certain amount of time (15 min or 20 min).

So let's focus on solutions here.

1. Talk to the other parents about this and band together to insist the daycare adopt a policy that kids won't be outside longer than 10 or 15 min when the temperature is above ___ degrees.

2. Write a letter to the daycare instructing them that YOUR child is not to be outside longer than 15 min when the temperature is above ___ degrees. Ultimately you have to do what you think is best for your child.

3. Ask the daycare if a shady area can be constructed--like a gazebo or something if there are no natural shady areas.

4. Get a medical expert or two to write a letter stating what is a safe policy for small children in hot weather. Nothing like the backing of the medical profession to make your point. No daycare wants to jeopardize the kids and risk losing their license.

5. And finally, go to a different daycare if this one won't work with you to find good compromises on this issue.

Old 07-22-2010, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
It doesn't matter what other people on an Internet board think about this. The important thing is that you are not comfortable with your 3 yr old child being outside in this heat for longer than a certain amount of time (15 min or 20 min).

Quote:
1. Talk to the other parents about this and band together to insist the daycare adopt a policy that kids won't be outside longer than 10 or 15 min when the temperature is above ___ degrees.

4. Get a medical expert or two to write a letter stating what is a safe policy for small children in hot weather. Nothing like the backing of the medical profession to make your point. No daycare wants to jeopardize the kids and risk losing their license.
Why ruin it for my kids just because you are less comfortable with hot weather. The vocal minority imposing their will on the general population.

When I went to the daycare yesterday afternoon to pick up my 2 children (4 and 1), I saw that my 1 yr old had a huge knot on his head. They informed me that he had fallen while toddling around and hit his head on one of the cabinets that they store toys in. I think that I'll ban together with all of the parents and petition the daycare to remove all the toy boxes from the daycare so that will never happen again. And I'll even hire a medical expert to say that a child hitting his head on a piece of wood will likely hurt. . . he'll cry for a long time. . . . .and it will likely leave a knot and a big bruise

Quote:
2. Write a letter to the daycare instructing them that YOUR child is not to be outside longer than 15 min when the temperature is above ___ degrees. Ultimately you have to do what you think is best for your child.

3. Ask the daycare if a shady area can be constructed--like a gazebo or something if there are no natural shady areas.

5. And finally, go to a different daycare if this one won't work with you to find good compromises on this issue.

Old 07-22-2010, 07:48 AM

268 posts, read 1,067,072 times
Like a lot of people my age, I grew up here in NC without air conditioning, so I just don't get this thread. It's summer??

Old 07-22-2010, 11:35 AM

9 posts, read 14,204 times
Booooooo to newuser totally....and some of the things some of your are saying is crazy....either you've lost your mind or you dont have kids. My child's face got burned yesterday while she was at the pool(out of my control due to my mother in-law not putting any on - her stupidity, i was raging about it, but love her though). So this morning when I took her to daycare before I went to work (9:45am - and it was very muggy and hot) I spoke to her teacher about it. I let her know what happened and that she already has sunscreen on but if they went out to please make her wear her hat(I brought). She then told me that they wouldnt be going out anymore for the rest of the day because it was going to be so hot - which was a HUGE relief for me. They had went out from 9am-9:30am. Now, I do not live down that way but will be relocating to Durham at the end of Sept. I have been down there lately on one of your hottest days...and if it were me, I would not have let my kid go out at all. Daycare is not boring to kids. If you've ever been in one, there is a room full of fun toys and activities. I live two hours away from you guys up in surry county and its still blazzin hot here. I cant imagine what today is going to be like for you because today it suppose to be 97 here, so. And I may be rambling on, but it just shocks me alittle to here some of your comments....I'm just like, wow!

Old 07-22-2010, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amallen View Post
Booooooo to newuser totally....and some of the things some of your are saying is crazy....either you've lost your mind or you dont have kids. And I may be rambling on, but it just shocks me alittle to here some of your comments....I'm just like, wow!
I'll bet you make your kid wear a helmet when she rides her "Big Wheel" in the driveway.

Old 07-22-2010, 12:38 PM

2,086 posts, read 7,641,789 times
It is truly amazing that the human race survived all those years before air conditioning was invented.

Old 07-22-2010, 12:49 PM

476 posts, read 1,296,173 times
When I read the original post, I thought, wow that is so fun. I was surprised to see you were upset.

Old 07-22-2010, 01:26 PM

93 posts, read 163,970 times
From what I understand most daycares are required to send them outside for a specific amount of time unless its raining/snowing, but most (if not all) also will limit the time if the air quality is code orange (or higher) or if it's below freezing.

Personally, if they keep them hydrated and they have ample sun protection (usually you need to sign a form for them to apply suntan lotion to the child), I don't have a problem with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary